2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 'heavy' sport steering feel in comfort mode (DSC off)

03-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

'heavy' sport steering feel in comfort mode (DSC off)

All, regaring a thred I saw on the 3 series forum here
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=752944
I tried this on my F10 today to see if this was the same.
So car in comfort mode DSC fully off (press button for several seconds until DSC OFF is dsiplayed in rev counter) and it could be my imagination but it did seem that the steering was now heavy as in the sport mode.
it could be my imagination (placebo effect) but it seemed that way.
I've always felt its was quite subtle the difference feel which may be down to the speed of the car possibly? lower speed more difficult to detect?

Worth trying - obviously you make a call if you are prepared to drive with DCS off.
interested with what people think.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
K-A
Nice
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S SportDesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
All, regaring a thred I saw on the 3 series forum here
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=752944
I tried this on my F10 today to see if this was the same.
So car in comfort mode DSC fully off (press button for several seconds until DSC OFF is dsiplayed in rev counter) and it could be my imagination but it did seem that the steering was now heavy as in the sport mode.
it could be my imagination (placebo effect) but it seemed that way.
I've always felt its was quite subtle the difference feel which may be down to the speed of the car possibly? lower speed more difficult to detect?

Worth trying - obviously you make a call if you are prepared to drive with DCS off.
interested with what people think.
Does this account for 2013 cars? What sucks is that with MY '13 models you now cannot control what aspects of Sport you want or don't want.

I DO want the heavier Sports steering, and snappier throttle response, though I just don't want the Sport Mode always holding the RPM's so high.

I will look into this. Recently I thought that there were no differences between steering feel in Comfort or Sport Mode, because around town it it un-detectable, though it was pointed out that the differences are only truly noticeable at higher speeds. I now can notice a difference at higher speeds, but I still wonder if it's all in my mind.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 07:04 AM   #3
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

yeh I think they changed that in 2012. I recall testing a 520 Msport with the passive Msport suspension and when going in to teh i drive, it allowed be to configure SPORT mode. Now one of the settings was chassis which included suspension and steering. Now with a passive suspension system, that obviously can't be changed so it presumab ly jsut changed the steering feel.
My guess is that BMW decided to remove this on those cars that had passive suspension systems as it was confusing.
My 2012 model doesn't have this option and my 2012 530d Msport has the passive suspension.
I assume if yu have an active suspension system, this option is tehre for you to configure.

Interested in whether otehr have found that by turning DSC completly off, the steering defaults to its 'heavy' setting.
As its speed sensitive, I think this can only be detected at higher speeds
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 07:23 AM   #4
K-A
Nice
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S SportDesign

Yeah read through that thread. Unfortunately I would never turn DSC off, especially on the highway. Closest I'll get is putting it in Sport + when I want to get the wheels a bit loose.

I'd love to know the specifics at what speeds the Sports Steering comes into play. I'm almost certain that around town I can't tell a difference at all between it and Comfort, but on the highway I did feel like I noticed some slight heavy'ing. Though again, it's so hard to tell whether or not it's in my head, lol. It does feel heavier though I think.

I've been putting it in Sport, then putting it in DS to use the paddles to shift, therefore I can get all of the Sports settings that I always want (heavier steering and quicker throttle response), and controlling the part I don't want, which is unnecessarily holding the shifts higher at all times. It's actually really fun to drive it like that, as it engages you with the car almost like a Manual does (and get to retain the 8 Speed tranny).
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 08:18 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I've tried switching DSC off on my car before now, and if you go from sport or sport +, with chassis and drivetrain configured, and switch DSC COMPLETELY OFF, it defaults to normal drive mode. Reins in the whole sporty driving feel, including throttle response. Searched on the forums and this seems the norm, both in 3 and 5-series cars with the full sport works.

Tried my 535i with DSC off yesterday, after reading this thread, dry and empty road so ideal for a test. Same thing, when you configure to sport and then switch the DSC off, it all goes tame. Drive with the normal settings and then switch DSC off, nothing changed, certainly not at legal UK speeds. Steering feel was just the same DSC on or off.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
Edda1
Rep
Drives: 5 Series F11

When I put mine into sport mode I have the choice of chassis only or chassis and powertrain both make the steering stiffer as well as the suspension.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edda1 View Post
When I put mine into sport mode I have the choice of chassis only or chassis and powertrain both make the steering stiffer as well as the suspension.
I'd be interested to know what gearbox and active suspension system you have, when you say "as well as the suspension".

If both are checked, it is the chassis part that stiffens the steering.

Drivetrain checked will allow throttle response to have sport setting when in sport mode. Plus gearbox into sport, if auto box fitted. No chassis changes.

Chassis checked, puts steering to sport setting when in sport mode. Plus suspension into sport, if VDC or AD is fitted.

Both drivetrain and Chassis checked gives both steering and throttle sport settings, in sport mode, and suspension, if VDC or AD is fitted.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 02:08 AM   #8
Edda1
Rep
Drives: 5 Series F11

I have VDC and standard auto gearbox. I have an option of efficiency, comfort, comfort+, sport and sport+, its a really nice option especially if you want to stiffen everything up and leave the the engine as stock or you could have all steering wheel, suspension and engine. The powertrain option changes the Characteristics making shorter gear changes.
Appreciate 0