2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Need more room

03-11-2020, 10:38 AM   #1
S1nner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F15 N55, 2014 F10 N55

Need more room

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping to get an advice/opinion from you guys, on what would you get or maybe you got already, if you would be in the same situation.

I'm in my late 20s and my family is growing. I currently drive 2014 F10 with N55 engine and absolutely love it, however, as you can imagine, with baby, stroller etc, it's really small for us now.

So I'm planning to pay it off soon and get a bigger one. And I don't really know what to get. I guess these are my options.

1. X7
2. X5
3. Q7/Q8
4. VW Atlas/CrossTour

I've test drove 2017 X5(I don't like newest) and from the room perspective it's not really bigger. The trunk yes, but there is no space in the 2nd row.

X7 - I haven't test drove it, but I like it. It's a bit pricey for me now, but as we all know in 6-12 months depreciation will take it own.

Audi - is a new world for me, don't know anything about those ones.

VW - I don't really like it, but my wife does. So as a solution I can get it for my wife and get something like 3 series for myself.

Thank you and sorry for my English!

Last edited by S1nner; 03-11-2020 at 10:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 11:46 AM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by subkg View Post
4. VW Atlas/CrossTour ...

VW - I don't really like it, but my wife does....
VW is definitely not known for reliability. Everything I've read on their quality and reliability makes the worst BMW look like a Honda.

With creative packing you would be surprised what you can fit in a trunk. We had a car with a 18.5 cuft trunk. I got 2 weeks worth of baby food and diapers, a stroller, 2 full size suitcases and a couple carry-on size cases in the trunk. My brother-in-law once got 3 car seats in the back seat of a Dodge Omni! It was T-I-G-H-T tight, but they were in there! I know the F10 trunk isn't that large, but I've managed to get quite a bit of road-trip packing in there!

Have you at all considered the domestics? If you don't care about RWD, Ford & GM have some offerings that may suit you.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 12:09 PM   #3
S1nner
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
VW is definitely not known for reliability. Everything I've read on their quality and reliability makes the worst BMW look like a Honda.

With creative packing you would be surprised what you can fit in a trunk. We had a car with a 18.5 cuft trunk. I got 2 weeks worth of baby food and diapers, a stroller, 2 full size suitcases and a couple carry-on size cases in the trunk. My brother-in-law once got 3 car seats in the back seat of a Dodge Omni! It was T-I-G-H-T tight, but they were in there! I know the F10 trunk isn't that large, but I've managed to get quite a bit of road-trip packing in there!

Have you at all considered the domestics? If you don't care about RWD, Ford & GM have some offerings that may suit you.
I agree about VW's reliability, it's not that bad, but, I've had several issues with my VW Jetta that I currently own as a second vehicle. And just to mention they're giving only 4yrs/50k miles bumper to bumper warranty for new 2020 Atlas, for 2019 it is 6yrs I believe.

Haha, creative packaging, I exactly know what are you talking about. We recently had a road trip that took about 3.5 hours and it was tough for my wife as I move my seat all the way to the back.

I have not and I don't care about RWD. I have never owed a domestic car. If you have some inputs/experience please share.

Appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 12:54 PM   #4
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have not and I don't care about RWD. I have never owed a domestic car. If you have some inputs/experience please share.

Appreciate it.
With a couple of exceptions, I owned nothing but Ford products (Mercury & Lincoln) before my 1st BMW purchase just over 5 years ago. My sister just got a Lincoln Cosair; she loves it! We rode in the back and it was quite comfortable and the technology was right up there! I would probably opt for the Nautilus or Aviator for the bigger engines; especially if road trips were considered. I have an aversion to GM so never consider them. If I wasn't a RWD snob I would possibly be driving a Lincoln and miss out on the BMW experience.

The Korean's also make a pretty good car these days.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 08:10 PM   #5
beegeezy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i M-Sport

This is funny! My wife and I are expecting our first in June...and I picked the F10 specifically because I wanted a bigger vehicle. Why do we need SUVs when our parents made due with sedans? Now, if you have 3+ kids, maybe I understand...but one or two? We just haul around too much crap these days!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 08:37 PM   #6
S1nner
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beegeezy View Post
This is funny! My wife and I are expecting our first in June...and I picked the F10 specifically because I wanted a bigger vehicle. Why do we need SUVs when our parents made due with sedans? Now, if you have 3+ kids, maybe I understand...but one or two? We just haul around too much crap these days!
Congratulations to you guys! Well, I would agree, but, do you travel? I would assume so. So for travel you'll need bassinet, stroller, car seat + luggage etc etc. And there is a room for all that stuff, the main reason, is that I move my seat all the way to the back, and there is no leg space in the back.

And I agree it's all about a comfort, but if you can make your life easier, why not to do so right.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 09:10 PM   #7
TZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive, 2014 435i CO

Minivan is a family car.

Service Manual: www.newtis.info
Part: http://www.realoem.com
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 11:18 PM   #8
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Congratulations to you guys! Well, I would agree, but, do you travel? I would assume so. So for travel you'll need bassinet, stroller, car seat + luggage etc etc. And there is a room for all that stuff, the main reason, is that I move my seat all the way to the back, and there is no leg space in the back.

And I agree it's all about a comfort, but if you can make your life easier, why not to do so right.
You'll soon find out you don't need all that stuff on a trip. Hotels have cribs and the car seat is in the passenger compartment so no trunk space lost there. They even make strollers that are multi-functional; car seat, stroller and carrier. IMHO, I would see how it goes before changing vehicles and possibly incurring more debt.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 12:16 AM   #9
zcali925
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 BMW 535i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Quote:
4. VW Atlas/CrossTour ...

VW - I don't really like it, but my wife does....

I am nothing short of impressed and bow with respect and appreciation.
      03-12-2020, 06:42 AM   #10
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

I am not sure how you reached the conclusion about 2017 X5 space in the back not any different from the 5 series, I simply disagree we have 3 kids, 14, 12 and 5 year old and find the X5 perfect, the 5 was always a disaster for space.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 08:37 AM   #11
philipm785
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i

I agree that the F10 is a little tight in the back seat.

However, we also had an X5 (older model so actually smaller) for a few years with young kids, including when they had car seats, and found it to be very accommodating in the back. Wondering if perhaps the second row was moved forward on the one you looked at to show larger luggage area? Not sure if they're all adjustable, but believe some are.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 09:10 AM   #12
S1nner
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang View Post
I am not sure how you reached the conclusion about 2017 X5 space in the back not any different from the 5 series, I simply disagree we have 3 kids, 14, 12 and 5 year old and find the X5 perfect, the 5 was always a disaster for space.
Hmm, I'm going to test drive X5 again. We didn't really check it that good, just randomly stopped by dealer and test drove it.

Thank you.
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2020, 09:12 AM   #13
S1nner
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipm785 View Post

However, we also had an X5 (older model so actually smaller) for a few years with young kids, including when they had car seats, and found it to be very accommodating in the back. Wondering if perhaps the second row was moved forward on the one you looked at to show larger luggage area? Not sure if they're all adjustable, but believe some are.
X5 would be ideal for me from price perspective. I didn't know you can adjust second row.

Thank you for your input!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 08:48 AM   #14
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping to get an advice/opinion from you guys, on what would you get or maybe you got already, if you would be in the same situation.

I'm in my late 20s and my family is growing. I currently drive 2014 F10 with N55 engine and absolutely love it, however, as you can imagine, with baby, stroller etc, it's really small for us now.

So I'm planning to pay it off soon and get a bigger one. And I don't really know what to get. I guess these are my options.

1. X7
2. X5
3. Q7/Q8
4. VW Atlas/CrossTour

I've test drove 2017 X5(I don't like newest) and from the room perspective it's not really bigger. The trunk yes, but there is no space in the 2nd row.

X7 - I haven't test drove it, but I like it. It's a bit pricey for me now, but as we all know in 6-12 months depreciation will take it own.

Audi - is a new world for me, don't know anything about those ones.

VW - I don't really like it, but my wife does. So as a solution I can get it for my wife and get something like 3 series for myself.

Thank you and sorry for my English!
I don't believe in SUVs. If you have access to a 5er tourer, that's what I would do. More room without sacrificing handling or looks.

Also my 2 boys grew up in the back of R53 MINI Coopers back in the day. We fit them, strollers, did road trips, etc. we resisted and refused the fallacy of SUV because you have a baby and all the stuff that comes along with them. We had fun and great memories in those cars. I still enjoyed the confused looks and stares of SUV crowd minded parents when they saw us arrive or leave in our "tiny" family cars.

Pack lightly, pack smartly. An F10 sedan is plenty of car for a family.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 08:53 AM   #15
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipm785 View Post

X5 would be ideal for me from price perspective. I didn't know you can adjust second row.

Thank you for your input!
You don't need a X5 or a SUV. You are just looking for an excuse to dump your perfectly fine F10 for a dynamically inferior vehicle and what that has higher cost of operation.

2017 X5 was not really that great of a vehicle to begin with. New generation X5 is superior but very expensive.

You will deeply regret selling the F10.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 09:05 AM   #16
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Also if you want maximum space, comfort and seating requirements on a family hauler, then you should be looking at Minivans:

Toyota Sienna

Honda Odyssey

And if you need to carry more than 7-8 people at all times, then consider a 15 passenger Ford Transit XLT.

The reality is this. SUVs only give you marginal interior space gains over a large sedan like your F10. People drool over the things because it makes them look cool, tough and macho. Women love the high ride height (which comes at the expense of handling and high speed stability). You don't get that much more rear seat leg room and marginally larger trunk space.

People have an irrational disdain for Minivans. They drive better than most SUVs.

But if I were in your situation, I would keep the F10. And if you want a sedan with limo like rear seat accommodations and slightly larger trunk, I would be looking at 2016-2018 slightly pre-Loved BMW 7 series. I would encourage to go and sit on a 2016-2018 740i. You can get one with low miles for low to mid $40Ks (About half of their original window sticker) still with factory warranty and a back seat that no X5 can't match or offer at any price. And you'll have a great looking and capable sedan made in GERMANY. X5s are US made.

When looking at used 7ers be sure to check out cars without the rear seat VIP package, which eliminates the huge rear center console and give you a full 3 passenger rear bench seat.

The rear seat in the 7er would probably only be matched by the X7. But you can get the former for substantially less money than the later.

Just sayin'. It's your money but be aware there are much better alternatives to me too SUVs if you approach them with an open mind.

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 03:46 PM   #17
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

F15 X5
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 03:47 PM   #18
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
You don't need a X5 or a SUV. You are just looking for an excuse to dump your perfectly fine F10 for a dynamically inferior vehicle and what that has higher cost of operation.

2017 X5 was not really that great of a vehicle to begin with. New generation X5 is superior but very expensive.

You will deeply regret selling the F10.
Why?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 09:17 PM   #19
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Current SUV's are a result of government regulations gone amok. Fuel economy standards demand cars to be cramped, lozenge-shaped, and with common styling due to bumper and pedestrian regulations etc.

SUV's got away with less standardization and lower fuel economy, including safety equipment, allowing for some of them to offer the kind of room people always had from their cars as late as the 1970's.

The shameful denigration of mini-vans, station wagons, and soccer mom's by popular memes brings us to having bloated vehicles few people really use as off-road or need for hauling that have increased pollution, cost, and industrial waste. The most common reason is to "see above everyone else" - a pissy reason for owning a vehicle if you ask me.

I remember when the Chevy Suburban had real cargo space - 50 cubic feet behind the third seat, 150 cubic feet total with both rows down, AND had heavy duty construction you could take to the bank. That was the 1992 version that later morphed into less room. None of the GM SUV's nowadays fits a big framed person as well any more and forget about the cars....

But comparing a 5 series to SUV's is a bit unfair as most cars including sedans do not have the room that current 5 and 7 series have, which are built really exceptionally. The Koreans have also done a great job with ingress/egress and interior space but others - fuggetaboutit!

Cheers
Appreciate 0