2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum removing OEM seat for aftermarket seats

03-27-2020, 05:27 PM   #1
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

removing OEM seat for aftermarket seats

just toying with the idea but what errors would come up and would it be possible to have them coded out?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 05:09 PM   #2
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

I can't imagine any codes coming up because of the seats but again its BMW
I think only if you touch seatbelts that would make car angry.
what do you have in mind?
      03-29-2020, 05:45 PM   #3
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Jeffe 5 View Post
i finally decided my car is more of a show car. i only take it out for either car shows, Cars and Coffee, MPACT and Sunday spirit driving. other than that it's not a daily driver so it sits in my garage. so with that in mind i've always complained about my seats. they're not sport seats at all like i see in other BMW's that have more of bucket type seats. i thought about maybe getting some M5 seats but they're freakin expensive as hell!

so i was able to find a seat bracket specifically made for the F10 for both the driver and passenger side $140 each. here's some info:

PLANTED. SEAT BRACKET TECHNOLOGY.
Planted Seat Bracket- BMW 5 Series [6th Generation, F10/F11/F07 Chassis] (2011-2016) - Driver / Left

•Universal design will work with most racing seat designs (Sparco, Momo, NRG)
•Made from thick steel and hand welded to ensure superior strength
•This is a direct bolt on
There is extra space on the bracket for drilling your own hole pattern, if using a slider with a less common hole mount
•These are drop shipped directly from Planted Technology, there may be a small handling time aside from ours.
•These are made to order.

The Planted Seat Bracket is a vehicle specific bracket used as an adapter between the floor of the vehicle and an aftermarket seat and it's accessories. Because the floor of each vehicle varies and typically is not flat, a vehicle specific Seat Bracket is required for installing an aftermarket seat. We create each seat bracket using the floor of the vehicle as a reference. We literally bring each vehicle into our development center so we can create the best fitting, bolt in, universal seat bracket possible. For more specifics on installing a Planted Seat Bracket and what other components you may need please refer to our installation instructions and our Frequently Asked Questions section.

UNIVERSAL. STRONG. SECURE

Planted Seat Brackets are laser cut from 3/16 inch thick steel and hand welded to ensure weld penetration for superior strength. Each bracket is pre-slotted with hole patterns to accept sliders from most major seat manufacturers like Braum, Bride*, Cipher Auto, Cobra**, Corbeau, Momo, NRG, OMP, Racetech, Recaro, Sabelt, Sparco, Status Racing, Takata and more. There is extra space on the bracket for drilling your own hole pattern if using a slider with a less common hole pattern, or direct mounting a seat or side mount when eliminating sliders is preferred. They are finished with a black powder coat and applications are available for many vehicles

here's the seat i was inquiring about. it is mocha so i asked for the manufacture to send me a sample of the material to see if it's a close enough match to my existing interior. if it doesn't than i'll look for an all black seat.

so my main concern since there's not enough info out there for the F10 platform with guys swapping their seats out is what possible kind of error codes would i get? i did read that i should be able to reuse my seat belt mechanism which should just reattach to the new seat. what are your thoughts on possible errors?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 05:56 PM   #4
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Quote:
i finally decided my car is more of a show car. i only take it out for either car shows, Cars and Coffee, MPACT and Sunday spirit driving. other than that it's not a daily driver so it sits in my garage. so with that in mind i've always complained about my seats. they're not sport seats at all like i see in other BMW's that have more of bucket type seats. i thought about maybe getting some M5 seats but they're freakin expensive as hell!

so i was able to find a seat bracket specifically made for the F10 for both the driver and passenger side $140 each. here's some info:

PLANTED. SEAT BRACKET TECHNOLOGY.
Planted Seat Bracket- BMW 5 Series [6th Generation, F10/F11/F07 Chassis] (2011-2016) - Driver / Left

•Universal design will work with most racing seat designs (Sparco, Momo, NRG)
•Made from thick steel and hand welded to ensure superior strength
•This is a direct bolt on
There is extra space on the bracket for drilling your own hole pattern, if using a slider with a less common hole mount
•These are drop shipped directly from Planted Technology, there may be a small handling time aside from ours.
•These are made to order.

The Planted Seat Bracket is a vehicle specific bracket used as an adapter between the floor of the vehicle and an aftermarket seat and it's accessories. Because the floor of each vehicle varies and typically is not flat, a vehicle specific Seat Bracket is required for installing an aftermarket seat. We create each seat bracket using the floor of the vehicle as a reference. We literally bring each vehicle into our development center so we can create the best fitting, bolt in, universal seat bracket possible. For more specifics on installing a Planted Seat Bracket and what other components you may need please refer to our installation instructions and our Frequently Asked Questions section.

UNIVERSAL. STRONG. SECURE

Planted Seat Brackets are laser cut from 3/16 inch thick steel and hand welded to ensure weld penetration for superior strength. Each bracket is pre-slotted with hole patterns to accept sliders from most major seat manufacturers like Braum, Bride*, Cipher Auto, Cobra**, Corbeau, Momo, NRG, OMP, Racetech, Recaro, Sabelt, Sparco, Status Racing, Takata and more. There is extra space on the bracket for drilling your own hole pattern if using a slider with a less common hole pattern, or direct mounting a seat or side mount when eliminating sliders is preferred. They are finished with a black powder coat and applications are available for many vehicles

here's the seat i was inquiring about. it is mocha so i asked for the manufacture to send me a sample of the material to see if it's a close enough match to my existing interior. if it doesn't than i'll look for an all black seat.

so my main concern since there's not enough info out there for the F10 platform with guys swapping their seats out is what possible kind of error codes would i get? i did read that i should be able to reuse my seat belt mechanism which should just reattach to the new seat. what are your thoughts on possible errors?
I have to agree with you, your car is more of show car than daily driver.
That seat looks amazing I like that style
Things I would do before pulling trigger.
Adjust seat to your liking then unplug it
See what happens.
I didn't think seatbelt retracts back to the seat it retracts to the pillar.
      03-29-2020, 06:27 PM   #5
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
See what happens.
been doing research since i replied to you and it looks like there's a bit of coding involved like air bags so i think i'm opening a can of worms lol looks like i may scratch this mod off the mod list lol
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 06:32 PM   #6
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
See what happens.
been doing research since i replied to you and it looks like there's a bit of coding involved like air bags so i think i'm opening a can of worms lol looks like i may scratch this mod off the mod list lol
Well you don't wanna compromises your safety
and you love ones ones

Speaking of coding off topic
I just ordered my OBD wireless adapter from amazon
I will be coding my car with BeemerCode app
Look it up it's legit stuff if you decide to do same thing look up make sure OBD is computable with app
      03-29-2020, 07:11 PM   #7
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
and you love ones ones

Look it up it's legit stuff if you decide to do same thing look up make sure OBD is computable with app
yup! Burrninja did a couple of coding for me with his Beemercode app. he was able to add psi/temp for my tires. also door mirror close when locking up the car as well as mirror opening when unlocking the car. still wondering if the trunk can be coded to open if i don't have the button in the trunk liner to close?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 07:24 PM   #8
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
and you love ones ones

yup! Burrninja did a couple of coding for me with his Beemercode app. he was able to add psi/temp for my tires. also door mirror close when locking up the car as well as mirror opening when unlocking the car. still wondering if the trunk can be coded to open if i don't have the button in the trunk liner to close?
Nice, I will be doing some coding as swell.
I don't know nothing about trunk
One thing I hate I can't close trunk with remote or inside the car.
      03-31-2020, 09:43 PM   #9
jayster0966
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

would you not be needing some of these as well? I know they work well on 3 series, and x series.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Seat-Occupa...YAAOSwaadau8hE

Last edited by jayster0966; 03-31-2020 at 09:58 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2020, 09:56 PM   #10
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayster0966 View Post
would you not be needing some of these as well? I know they fork well on 3 series, and x series.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Seat-Occupa...YAAOSwaadau8hE
Nice find
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 02:37 PM   #11
rojodo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535I 6sd

Coding for M5 seats

I have a similar dilemma as Isturoteg- I have a 2013 Msport as a dd which has just the regular leather seats.I found a pair of front seats out of a 2012 M5,great condition, good price but am in the dark about coding. What is the exact name of the app used and could someone give me a link as to whats involved? Greatly appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 02:50 PM   #12
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojodo View Post
I have a similar dilemma as Isturoteg- I have a 2013 Msport as a dd which has just the regular leather seats.I found a pair of front seats out of a 2012 M5,great condition, good price but am in the dark about coding. What is the exact name of the app used and could someone give me a link as to whats involved? Greatly appreciate it!
that's the problem...it's not a common thing done so there's not enough info on this topic or if anyone has done it and the related issues involved
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 03:43 PM   #13
rojodo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Coding for M5 seats

Ikr,just got off the phone at BMW parts and they dont' have a clue either. Its hard to pass on these seats, the lumbar and bolster are so much better,plus 20 way adjust.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 03:45 PM   #14
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojodo View Post
Ikr,just got off the phone at BMW parts and they dont' have a clue either. Its hard to pass on these seats, the lumbar and bolster are so much better,plus 20 way adjust.
i know! but say you spend the money and in the end realize you can't use them because of coding? that would suck
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 03:54 PM   #15
rojodo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Coding for M5 seats

Yeah,i hear u-there's gotta be a way i can find out for sure. I will keep you posted. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 04:40 PM   #16
Sylverlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: White 535i M-Sport, 911 GTS

with Porsche's we just use the equiv of ITSA to code it out.
Appreciate 0