2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding LED Adaptive Headlight Retrofit Guide

02-20-2017, 05:36 AM   #1
AlbaF10
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d F10 LCi

LED Adaptive Headlight Retrofit Guide

Hello, after a long race finally I've retrofitted the led adaptive headlight on my F07 GranTurismo.
I feel right to share the acquired knowledge with all.
First of all I want to thanks Shawnsheridan for the "unlimited" support he gave me.

This guide want to be a reference for all car so deliberately i don't post pictures about wiring or assembling parts. So i try to explain the procedure focusing on the "what I need to".
I did the work on an F07 LCI GranTurismo, already equipped with adaptive xenon headlights.

I want to start with the most important consideration: is it possible to retrofit the led headlight on my car?
For my experience the answer is: depending by how is your car is equipped.
The adaptive LED headlight interact with several ecus and buses in your car, so it could become very expensive and really hard to retrofit a car that do not have already adaptive headlight or kafas based system installed.
The led headlight keeps signal directly from FRM and ZGW, that takes a lot of involved signal from steering column, ride height sensor, FLA or KAFAS camera, DSC, ICM and CAS and many others. All of these components must interect each other (via FlexRay, LIN and CAN buses) for the right headlight behavior.
So, unfortunately, we can't simply "plug&code&play" the hedalights to make they working. The complexity and the interaction of the whole system is elevated.

If you decide to proceed to retrofit, anyway, you have to acquire knowledge , software and obviously...items
Esys software with launcher, latest psdzdata and ISTA-D are requested. Is NOT POSSIBLE to proceed without all of these software. Do not start if you don't have these software and if you don't know how to use they!!!
A couple of (working) LED headlights completed with their four ecus each one (be carefull to buy the right component according to your veichle configuration and ETK), wiries and connectors. If you decide to make related retrofit also (like FLA high beam assistant), you need all the item requested according to your veichle configuration and ETK.

First of all you have to study thw wiring diagram to understand how (and where) your original headlights are connected and how (and where) the led will be connected.
The xenon headlights (adaptive or not) uses "analogic signals" to power the lamps directly and only the LIN bus to command some function.
The LED instead use analogic signals to power the system and the digital buses (LIN and CAN3) to comand lamps and stepmotors behavior.
You can find all wiring diagram and related information on ISTA-D.
I used an excel sheet to put all wiring data (wire color, position over headlight connector and ecu position and connector).
This is the most difficult and stressfull part!!!
So, study very well the wiring diagram, because the key to succes is there.
When you have completed the conversion wiring scheme, you are ready to start the "manual" job.
Depending by your car configuration, some wires already come from headlight connector to the right ecu position, others you have to change. I tried to use every wire from headlight to avoid to pass new wire in and out of the engine trunk. In my case i only pass one wire (for the CAN3 bus) and used all others wire changing from the wrong position.
I take the two LED power line from FRM inlet power (the wires that take power to FRM comes to the same combox module used for the LED, so i don't pass any new wires, simply take power form the existing FRM power cable).
The same for the earth wire, i used the same already installed, just re-plugged on connectors.

When you completed the manual work remember to NOT INSTALL THE LED HEADLIGHT BEFORE HAVE CODED FA (Veichle Order) AND FRM ECU.
This step is FUNDAMENTAL, because FRM send different signals to headlights depending of the configuration, if you install LED but the car and FRM is coded for xenon simply you risk to burn your thousand € or $ headlight!!!!
So, BEFORE to install (plug the wiring connector) the led headlights, code your car FA (for the F series you have to insert S552 options and delete S524 (adaptive headlights), however check your VO configuration to be sure).
Use Esys to code FA and then VO code the FRM.
Now you can install the headlights.

Turn ignition on and.....Oh my god!!! These damned headlights don't work!!!
What a fucking hell happened?
Take it easy, the headlights remains completely off until you don't program (flash) and code their four ECU.
Turn on Esys, flash and VO code the headlight ecu (two for each headlight, LHM and TMS if i well remind...).
Now your headlight turn on, but it still don't work correctley.....(no turn signal, no adaptive, ecc.).
Finally turn on ISTA-D, run complete car diagnostic, expand fault memory sheet and find the error related to headlight. Follow the calculate plan procedure to start the "auto-learning" procedure (about 30 seconds).
At the end, make a new car diagnostic, erase all fault memory and enjoy your new, amazing and powerful LED headlights!

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2017, 08:18 PM   #2
jgb87
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F15 35d

Would the procedure be the same with a bmw f15 going to led from xenons?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 02:39 AM   #3
levoo1979
Registered
Rep
Drives: 5 series F10

Are there any photos? I wanna see the new headlights in the action.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 01:26 PM   #4
ahmedmph
Rep
Drives: F15 2015

please write the part numbers of the required FRM and ZGM
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 02:15 PM   #5
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Would love a wiring diagram from those who have done this. I bet it's similar to the ones for F30 and X5s or F01s. Although I can't seem to locate the PDF for the F01 led retrofit.

As for parts : for cars with CIC, I am not sure which version of ZGW will work, I thought it was the high plus ZGW: 61359291451, but not really sure anymore, where as for NBT you would need ZGW 4sk or 8sk: 6135 9393659

FRM should be FRM3 that is post 9/11 production date : 61359273629 or newer.

Last edited by addy27; 03-24-2020 at 01:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 02:38 PM   #6
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep

sucks that BMW came out with LED retrofit for x5/x6, F01, F06/F12/F13, F30, F20... just not for F10!!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 03:07 PM   #7
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy27 View Post
sucks that BMW came out with LED retrofit for x5/x6, F01, F06/F12/F13, F30, F20... just not for F10!!
Is it really worth ~$3k over the HID lights? Over halogen, most likely but it's still rather a chore!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 03:21 PM   #8
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Is it really worth ~$3k over the HID lights? Over halogen, most likely but it's still rather a chore!
Point is this retrofit was released for cars that are much cheaper than the F10 (and also for cars more expensive) so obviously BMW thought there is a market. Since the F10 has been the most successful 5 series, one would think it would be something they might release.

Maybe the fact that you need to swap more than 1 core module (outside of the actual lights) AND change the build/production date without changing a bunch of other modules/wiring harnesses...renders this unfeasible from a dealership perspective.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 11:43 AM   #9
frankfuster
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 550i

I have a 2015 LCI 550i. I already has the adative xenons, backup/side/front cameras, etc. Besides the adaptive LCI LED headlights and their ballasts, what other hardware would I need to get this retrofitted?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 07:48 PM   #10
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep

Some rewiring is needed and depending on your model/option/packages, maybe a new ZGW or FRM module? 4sk vs 8sk
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 12:09 PM   #11
anthe93
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 650, 2016 Z4, 2004 X3

Thanks for this thread. I am currently doing an upgrade on an F25 from Pre-LCI adaptive bi-xenons to LCI LED headlights. Same principles as above but I already have an FRM3 in the car.

To keep CIC system at this point, I am assuming the ZGW-02 High Plus (61359291451) stated in the post above would have both K-CAN3 and MOST buses?

I'm not sure if the K-CAN3 bus has different data speed than the K-CAN2. I tried but can't see the lights ECU's on K-CAN2 nor can I get K-CAN3 on the ZGW-02 Mid or High (not Plus). Any wisdom would be appreciated and I will post how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 02:58 AM   #12
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep

LED RETROFIT WIRING DIAGRAMs

I put the following Diagrams together for my own attempt at converting Pre-LCI Xenon to LCI LED Headlights. I also made one for LCI Xenon to LCI LED.

For those who have already done this conversion, could you chime in if this looks correct? I am going to basically create a harness that can be removed easily to go back to preLCi Xenon so I'm coming up with a wiring harness that will be plug and play (Except for the pins needed for ZGW and for the Footwell Module.

For now, would just love some confirmation that I'm on the right track or if there are glaring errors, please do highlight. Next step is to actually create the harness
Attached Images

Last edited by addy27; 06-11-2018 at 03:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 03:33 PM   #13
AlbaF10
Rep

Unoftunatly both FRM and ZGW modules shoud be able to send CAN2 and CAN3 signals, indipendently.
That depends by the ecu hardware version.
I mean that also if you have the FRM3 ecu already installed on your car is not obvious that it has the right "hardware version" in order to able the CAN3 bus...
You can try to code and flash it thousand times....
It is an hell, often due to the BMW official workshop engineers ignorance about that...
I apologize to all ask me for wiring diagram or ecues type or hardware version, but every car is differently equipped and really i can't give correct answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthe93 View Post
Thanks for this thread. I am currently doing an upgrade on an F25 from Pre-LCI adaptive bi-xenons to LCI LED headlights. Same principles as above but I already have an FRM3 in the car.

To keep CIC system at this point, I am assuming the ZGW-02 High Plus (61359291451) stated in the post above would have both K-CAN3 and MOST buses?

I'm not sure if the K-CAN3 bus has different data speed than the K-CAN2. I tried but can't see the lights ECU's on K-CAN2 nor can I get K-CAN3 on the ZGW-02 Mid or High (not Plus). Any wisdom would be appreciated and I will post how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 02:28 PM   #14
AlbaF10
Rep

Here my own excel conversion sheet.
I post also the headlights connector also, so you can see that they have different kind of pins (large and thin).
Unfortunately you have to acquire the female pin also, because when you change the wiring harness pin dimension also change....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 04:40 PM   #15
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep

Your first table has a slight error, which you fixed in the second. wires for pin 9 and 10 should be 22AWG (0.35mm). Similar for Pin 1 you have 1.5 for Left Xenon and 0.75 for Right.

Your second table with both LED and Xenon looks correct.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 05:11 AM   #16
Nunaat
Private
Rep
Drives: E34 525tds F33 420d I01 bmw i3

Hello everyone. I have also started the installation of adaptive led headlights. I followed your advice not to connect the headlights until the Fa had been changed from 522 to 552, but then did not code the fem module.
The result is that before coding the fem module the led lights worked all but one eyebrow of a lighthouse. Then code the emf to solve it and suddenly all the led headlights went out. The modules FLE 43 and FLE 44 do not appear in esys at this moment, and they appear red as unreachable in ista +. Can somebody help me? By the way, this is for an f33. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 04:07 PM   #17
BMW640
Registered
Rep
Drives: F06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunaat View Post
Hello everyone. I have also started the installation of adaptive led headlights. I followed your advice not to connect the headlights until the Fa had been changed from 522 to 552, but then did not code the fem module.
The result is that before coding the fem module the led lights worked all but one eyebrow of a lighthouse. Then code the emf to solve it and suddenly all the led headlights went out. The modules FLE 43 and FLE 44 do not appear in esys at this moment, and they appear red as unreachable in ista +. Can somebody help me? By the way, this is for an f33. Thanks in advance.
Hi mate,
i hope that you have got the headlights working by now! im actually halfway through that process of upgrading to LED headlights and can you please give me some details of the required coding and where can I find that 522 ? i dont have Esys installed yet but with ISTA i can see the headlights modules and but they are in RED. thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 01:22 PM   #18
Dietani83
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i m package

Hey I trying to do the retrofit on my 2012 550i I’m already have the headlights so can some explain how to do it and what wires need to be change it thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 01:24 PM   #19
Dietani83
Rep

Hey albaf10 what year is your car?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 02:18 PM   #20
jonobro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw f10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietani83 View Post
Hey I trying to do the retrofit on my 2012 550i I'm already have the headlights so can some explain how to do it and what wires need to be change it thanks
Where did you get headlights from
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 10:51 PM   #21
Dietani83
Rep

I bought it used
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 11:20 AM   #22
Nunaat
Private
Rep
Drives: E34 525tds F33 420d I01 bmw i3

Hello guys, I have retrofitted the 552 adaptive lCI led lights. All was right. AFter
have some problems I got everything right.
I had problems with a daytime light but it was a fault of the daylight module that the dealer changed me for free. I suggest modifying the FA with 552 removing 522 if you had xenon and before connecting the headlight, do vo code to fem. (all this after having properly wired the led lights). If you still have a problem, you can try restarting flex relay. Everything worked for me and it is wonderful to drive with adaptive led headlights with reading of road signs and hba lights control. Totally recommended. If I can help someone, do not hesitate to ask.