2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications BM3 2012 N20 Stage 1 93 Octane Problems

07-19-2019, 11:38 AM   #1
ckaul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 528i xDrive

BM3 2012 N20 Stage 1 93 Octane Problems

Hello everyone,

I have a 2012 528ixDrive. I have recently put in aluminum charge pipe, boost pipe and air inlet pipe and then tuned it with BM3 Stage 1 93 Octane.

I am having a weird issue with the tune. So when I am on the throttle and do any quick downshifts or hard acceleration I will hear a loud whooshing sound from the engine bay. It practically sounds like a blowoff but it happens while I am accelerating not when letting off the pedal. I have been talking to BM3 support and they have not given me any good answers yet on what could be causing this. I am positive it is not a boost leak as it doesn't happen consistently and never happens no matter how hard I drive the car when i'm on the stock map. Seems as if the waste gate is just opening up and dumping boost for no apparent reason. BM3 Support says that the data logs look fine.

I am going to put a data log here and if anyone has any ideas on to what could be happening any help would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5d2e819dae729b7276120a6e

Thank you all.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 03:18 PM   #2
Shieldze1025
Keepin' America Free
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Did you do all of those upgrades at once??? I have to ask the stupid question - are you sure you're not just hearing more boost?

Does the car seem to drive normal? Do you still have power?

If it was a boost leak you would probably notice some lack of power, but maybe not. I had a Focus ST which is a 2.0 turbo, a vent tube came off my intake and sounded just like what you're describing, but I felt like I had good power still. Had to do some WOT runs and realize I was 4 psi short at peak, dug deeper and found the tube hanging off in the back of the engine bay.

Lastly - do you know if you have an EWG or PWG? From what I can find online the N20 switched over sometime in 2012. If it's an EWG it could be something with the tune, but PWG is not affected by a tune.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough"
-Mario Andretti
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 04:18 PM   #3
ckaul
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shieldze1025 View Post
Did you do all of those upgrades at once??? I have to ask the stupid question - are you sure you're not just hearing more boost?

Does the car seem to drive normal? Do you still have power?

If it was a boost leak you would probably notice some lack of power, but maybe not. I had a Focus ST which is a 2.0 turbo, a vent tube came off my intake and sounded just like what you're describing, but I felt like I had good power still. Had to do some WOT runs and realize I was 4 psi short at peak, dug deeper and found the tube hanging off in the back of the engine bay.

Lastly - do you know if you have an EWG or PWG? From what I can find online the N20 switched over sometime in 2012. If it's an EWG it could be something with the tune, but PWG is not affected by a tune.
Yeah I did all of those 3 pipes at once. And yeah I mean i'm positive that its not just more boost. It literally sounds like a blowoff mid throttle. I have vids, just uploaded one on youtube.

The car drives normal yes but it loses a tiny amount of power. Barely any but I can feel it let off.

I mean I have double, triple checked everything. Had multiple friends look at it and every one of them gets baffled by the sound.

And yeah I know I have a PWG.

vid link:
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 01:27 PM   #4
ckaul
Private First Class
Rep

bump, anyone got any idea how to fix this?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 02:22 PM   #5
Shieldze1025
Keepin' America Free
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Weird... Sorry man I don't know what it could be other than a loose connection or bad o-ring somewhere.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough"
-Mario Andretti
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 12:52 AM   #6
Vanosman
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 e93/2014 F10/2004 M3 Conv

try a real bov charge pipe kit, they have stiff springs to control the boost surges better and most are adjustable at top so if you have overboost then you can dial it down and vent along with your WG ( when you are WOT you would hear the sound that you describe). Plastic diverters are not popular for good reason.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 04:08 AM   #7
gr8brwnshark
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 528i, 2006 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaul View Post
Hello everyone,

I have a 2012 528ixDrive. I have recently put in aluminum charge pipe, boost pipe and air inlet pipe and then tuned it with BM3 Stage 1 93 Octane.

I am having a weird issue with the tune. So when I am on the throttle and do any quick downshifts or hard acceleration I will hear a loud whooshing sound from the engine bay. It practically sounds like a blowoff but it happens while I am accelerating not when letting off the pedal. I have been talking to BM3 support and they have not given me any good answers yet on what could be causing this. I am positive it is not a boost leak as it doesn't happen consistently and never happens no matter how hard I drive the car when i'm on the stock map. Seems as if the waste gate is just opening up and dumping boost for no apparent reason. BM3 Support says that the data logs look fine.

I am going to put a data log here and if anyone has any ideas on to what could be happening any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all.
Any updates?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 09:25 AM   #8
ckaul
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8brwnshark View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaul View Post
Hello everyone,

Thank you all.
Any updates?
This was 2 years ago lol. Uhhh i dont remember what fixed it. But i think it was the wastegate acting up and dumping little boost. Since then ive put on a big turbo and other things no problems similar to that
Appreciate 0