2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Impulse Buy 535i Manual on Cars and Bids...

06-28-2022, 06:48 PM   #1
mikeric
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Spyder, 535i, XC90 T8

Impulse Buy 535i Manual on Cars and Bids...

So, I have been between toys for a couple months now. I have a 718 Spyder (who's delivery keeps getting pushed back) on order but I really don't have a DD. Yes, our family has a XC90 T8 as our family car and we have an Impreza as the au pair's car/toad/beater but I tend to commute on my motorcycle and often in the 981 Spyder that I sold.

Anyway, I was looking for a fun DD without breaking the bank. I have been playing around on Cars and Bids and BAT but never really committed. Well, today I won a pretty clean looking 535 in a manual with what I think are some nice mods:
19-inch BMW Style 351 wheels
M5-style front bumper, rear bumper, and side skirts
MHD Stage 2 ECU tuning software
VR Speed Factory front-mount Race Intercooler
VR Speed Factory charge pipe
Becker Performance exhaust system
Becker Performance downpipe
Carbon fiber trunk lid spoiler
Carbon fiber rear exhaust surround insert

Overall, I paid about what I paid for my Spyder mods including the inconel exhaust and seat inserts etc. So, while not chump change if the car is reliable and not a money pit it should be a decent DD that is still reasonably fun and classy.

I used to be a BMW person and my first BMW was a 1990 535. Amazing car that I loved even though the AC never quite blew cold. I won that car on eBay and sold it for what I paid for it after it blew a head gasket. Since them I have owned a chain of three series, everything from an E30 325 to a few M3s including a E46 and an E92.

What soured me on the brand was my X5d which is the only BMW I ordered new. What is now common knowledge, is that that SUV was a dog. Once it went out of warranty everything started to break including the emissions system that was supposed to be warrantied up to 100kmiles but BMW refused to pay for. Anyway, I sold that car and never bought another BMW out of spite.

My toys for the last few years have been Porsches, a Golf R, and a Giulia Quadrifoglio. I am now awaiting my 718 Spyder which has been one delay after another. The think I like about Porsches is that I drive them for a few years and then sell them for what I paid or sometimes more. Not a bad value proposition. So, my perfect, way over speced and priced Spyder is on order but I quickly realized that I do need a DD as that car is a bit too precious for salt or severe weather.

So, full circle, the F10 is an amazing sedan with decent power and driving dynamics and not terrible reliability. So, playing around, I bid and won the below car. It has some lies on it but the depreciation is fantastic. I was looking at M cars but they are all ticking up in value and I want something that is fun but not precious. The fact that you can get one in a manual and someone has done the mods I would do is a plus for me.

Thoughts? Am I screwed? Besides the oil filter gasket (which as just changed) any major surprises to look for?

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/r4VeB22p/2012-bmw-535i

Last edited by mikeric; 06-29-2022 at 07:33 PM..
Appreciate 3
      06-28-2022, 07:17 PM   #2
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

I just saw that listing and told myself that sold pretty cheap.

It's too cheap to say "you're screwed", just enjoy it.

Someone did a interesting job of retrofitting the m sport exterior.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 07:34 PM   #3
mikeric
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyGerman View Post

Thanks. Yes, not usually into body kits but this looks pretty OEM without looking like it is a faux M5, which I can appreciate. I do like the wheels. What are they off of? I think they do freshen up the look a bit and make it look more modern. It is missing the adaptive suspension, which I would have like to have but I guess could be another point of failure. Also, a brown interior would have been perfect but beggars can't be choosers.

I really am hoping this is a winner and not a money pit like my last BMW. It was the manual that won me over. I love manual transmissions and they are especially special on big sedans and wagons. As they say, they don't make them like they used to (or at all).
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 07:47 PM   #4
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeric View Post
Quote:

Thanks. Yes, not usually into body kits but this looks pretty OEM without looking like it is a faux M5, which I can appreciate. I do like the wheels. What are they off of? I think they do freshen up the look a bit and make it look more modern. It is missing the adaptive suspension, which I would have like to have but I guess could be another point of failure. Also, a brown interior would have been perfect but beggars can't be choosers.

I really am hoping this is a winner and not a money pit like my last BMW. It was the manual that won me over. I love manual transmissions and they are especially special on big sedans and wagons. As they say, they don't make them like they used to (or at all).
Wheels are 351M, standard on F10 M sport 535/550s.

The engine/transmission in this is pretty solid. You don't have much to worry about. I didn't take a look at the previous service history, but hopefully there is some there.

Typical BMW stuff on the N55..leaks from 3 main areas (pan, valve cover, OFHG), then water pump, etc. HPFP was not really an issue in 2012.

I would recommend changing all plugs/coils, fluids, etc, if not done already.
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2022, 07:58 PM   #5
mikeric
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wheels are 351M, standard on F10 M sport 535/550s.

The engine/transmission in this is pretty solid. You don't have much to worry about. I didn't take a look at the previous service history, but hopefully there is some there.

Typical BMW stuff on the N55..leaks from 3 main areas (pan, valve cover, OFHG), then water pump, etc. HPFP was not really an issue in 2012.

I would recommend changing all plugs/coils, fluids, etc, if not done already.

So, an oil change was just done, according to the seller. I'll test the coolant and brake fluid and change those if necessary. I assume plugs are relatively straightforward on these.
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2022, 12:31 AM   #6
Ajburns651
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i f10

Great Buy! Just looked at the post, looks in great condition and you definitely will love it.

I own a 2013 535i (unfortunately an automatic), at 110k miles and love driving this car. As long as you do the maintenance on it it will treat you well. One thing that improved my driving experience a lot was installing a CarPlay box for $200 or so, it made the car feel a few years newer.

Let me know if you are ever interested in selling, or trading haha, been dying to get my hands on a manual.

Congrats!
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2022, 04:11 AM   #7
mikeric
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajburns651 View Post
Great Buy! Just looked at the post, looks in great condition and you definitely will love it.

I own a 2013 535i (unfortunately an automatic), at 110k miles and love driving this car. As long as you do the maintenance on it it will treat you well. One thing that improved my driving experience a lot was installing a CarPlay box for $200 or so, it made the car feel a few years newer.

Let me know if you are ever interested in selling, or trading haha, been dying to get my hands on a manual.

Congrats!

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I may just do a Android/Carplay box on it.

I'm out of the country till July 15th and the seller was unable to hold onto it till then so I'm having it shipped to Raleigh. I usually do anfly and drive/ride butin this case I don't really have a choice. Still, with Cars and Bids fee and transport, it still comes in right under $15k which was what I was willing to spend.

Last edited by mikeric; 06-29-2022 at 05:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 06:04 AM   #8
mikeric
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

So, I have been up watching videos of everything that can fail. At least some maintenance has just been done on it: spark plugs, valve cover gasket, oil filter housing gasket, auxiliary belt, idler pulleys, and belt tensioner, water pump and thermostat (OEM) were replaced by the selling dealer. Seller said that the coils were good so they were not replaced with the plugs.

I just checked what plugs were put in as it should be running colder plugs with the tune. Seller said that he did install NGK 97506 which are the colder plugs so I guess he knows what he is doing. He says he is a BMW guy so he did all the preventative maintenance. Cars and Bids wouldn't let him put a reserve on it and he said he sold it for less than he has in it (but dealers always say that).

Of course I can verify that once I get my hands on the car. There is still VANOS as well as the coils. I should be able to do all that myself and I do have a QuickJack and most hand tools/torque wrenches. I also have a local indi BMW mechanic (actually called Shade Tree Mechanic) who is reasonable and trusted in these parts.

I usually do a fly an drive/ride but I am in Portugal on vacation till July 15th so I will have to ship, unfortunately.

This video has been pretty informative although there are lots out there.

Last edited by mikeric; 06-29-2022 at 06:24 AM..
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2022, 06:40 AM   #9
mikeric
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

So, car was delivered on Monday. I'm still in Portugal but I will be home by this weekend. According to my sister, car was delivered filthy. There is a scuff on the hood that was not disclosed which I'm not happy about. Seller claims that it happened in transit.

My sister said that the inside was pristine and smells new. Leather is a little dry but I will treat that. Also, apparently it is loud! Maybe I'll have to change out the downpipe for a catted downpipe as I want it as a DD. I have a loud inconel exhaust that I'm putting on the Spyder so I need this to be more of a family car. We will see.

Here are some crappy pictures. Don't mind the messy garage.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3pxtVNHJoQgNUS7VA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QLoMEN288tdfctXKA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/91WqrmUDt2HXns3x8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Tfdew7q6dr9QSaVw9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UmcypiZ9GSpmDUjY7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/F7Yw6cLXfKPKVq9H9
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 09:28 AM   #10
PNW_F10
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Looks pretty clean to me, just based on the picks. Suck about the hood, that's going to be tough to fix. Sweet color! Great wheels!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 02:17 PM   #11
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Garage List
Quote:
According to my sister, car was delivered filthy. There is a scuff on the hood that was not disclosed which I'm not happy about. Seller claims that it happened in transit
From what I see in the one pic of the scuff, and my amateur experience in paint correction, it looks like that might buff out with a bit of medium to light grade compound or heavy polish. I've taken out similar scuffs on my paint with considerable success. Good luck - great find!
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2022, 05:56 PM   #12
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep

Stunning! Congrats and enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 09:14 PM   #13
musclesmarinara75
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 N55 535i XDrive

Garage List
2013 535 XDrive  [9.75]
Quote:
So, I have been between toys for a couple months now. I have a 718 Spyder (who's delivery keeps getting pushed back) on order but I really don't have a DD. Yes, our family has a XC90 T8 as our family car and we have an Impreza as the au pair's car/toad/beater but I tend to commute on my motorcycle and often in the 981 Spyder that I sold.

Anyway, I was looking for a fun DD without breaking the bank. I have been playing around on Cars and Bids and BAT but never really committed. Well, today I won a pretty clean looking 535 in a manual with what I think are some nice mods:
19-inch BMW Style 351 wheels
M5-style front bumper, rear bumper, and side skirts
MHD Stage 2 ECU tuning software
VR Speed Factory front-mount Race Intercooler
VR Speed Factory charge pipe
Becker Performance exhaust system
Becker Performance downpipe
Carbon fiber trunk lid spoiler
Carbon fiber rear exhaust surround insert

Overall, I paid about what I paid for my Spyder mods including the inconel exhaust and seat inserts etc. So, while not chump change if the car is reliable and not a money pit it should be a decent DD that is still reasonably fun and classy.

I used to be a BMW person and my first BMW was a 1990 535. Amazing car that I loved even though the AC never quite blew cold. I won that car on eBay and sold it for what I paid for it after it blew a head gasket. Since them I have owned a chain of three series, everything from an E30 325 to a few M3s including a E46 and an E92.

What soured me on the brand was my X5d which is the only BMW I ordered new. What is now common knowledge, is that that SUV was a dog. Once it went out of warranty everything started to break including the emissions system that was supposed to be warrantied up to 100kmiles but BMW refused to pay for. Anyway, I sold that car and never bought another BMW out of spite.

My toys for the last few years have been Porsches, a Golf R, and a Giulia Quadrifoglio. I am now awaiting my 718 Spyder which has been one delay after another. The think I like about Porsches is that I drive them for a few years and then sell them for what I paid or sometimes more. Not a bad value proposition. So, my perfect, way over speced and priced Spyder is on order but I quickly realized that I do need a DD as that car is a bit too precious for salt or severe weather.

So, full circle, the F10 is an amazing sedan with decent power and driving dynamics and not terrible reliability. So, playing around, I bid and won the below car. It has some lies on it but the depreciation is fantastic. I was looking at M cars but they are all ticking up in value and I want something that is fun but not precious. The fact that you can get one in a manual and someone has done the mods I would do is a plus for me.

Thoughts? Am I screwed? Besides the oil filter gasket (which as just changed) any major surprises to look for?

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/r4VeB22p/2012-bmw-535i
That's a great a deal, looks really good in and out!!... good luck with that... I have a stock hood with your same paint code if you ever need it !! lol
      07-20-2022, 01:49 PM   #14
StradaRedlands
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
A bit jealous... A 535i w/ MT piques my interest. Presuming you just have the regular oil leaks, should be a good car! If it's a keeper, keep poking around to find some sport seats and swap those in... they're pretty nice. Weird it has the sport steering wheel and rims, but not seats.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2022, 05:36 PM   #15
mikeric
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Under it today to swap in a high flow cat and an OEM exhaust and there is no oil leaks. Actually, it is quite dry underneath and no rist at all. The exhaust that came on it drones and it he catless downpipe stinks. Those items are for sale, if anyone wants them. Now I just need an OEM rear defuser so I can get rid of the eBay special.

Started the process today but daddy duty calls. Will finish tomorrow.
Attached Images

Last edited by mikeric; 07-21-2022 at 05:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2022, 05:37 PM   #16
mikeric
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StradaRedlands View Post
A bit jealous... A 535i w/ MT piques my interest. Presuming you just have the regular oil leaks, should be a good car! If it's a keeper, keep poking around to find some sport seats and swap those in... they're pretty nice. Weird it has the sport steering wheel and rims, but not seats.
Pretty sure those are not stock. Would love some vented seats but not sure how to add that option.

Last edited by mikeric; 07-21-2022 at 06:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 12:08 AM   #17
StradaRedlands
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
Pretty sure those are not stock. Would love some vented seats but not sure how to add that option.
FWIW we have the vented sport seats on our 528i, and it doesn't add much IMHO. I've read that the non-vented sport seats are more comfortable as well, but don't have first hand knowledge of that.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 08:22 PM   #18
mikeric
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Got it back to the stock exhaust with the high-flow downpipe. Sounds amazing as in it is quiet. I have a Porsche Spyder if I want to be loud. Had my 20-momth-old decide to help me.

I dont think the defuser looks terrible with the stock exhaust but the OEM will look better. Looking to trade with someone on FB.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-27-2022, 11:42 PM   #19
StradaRedlands
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]