2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications N55 Tune and Burbles

06-04-2022, 04:38 PM   #1
technics_13
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 535i M Sport

N55 Tune and Burbles

Hello forum,

I have a 14 535i with a N55 M sport - replaced the exhaust with F10 M5 exhausts. The car sounds a bit heavy with the exhaust and has some drone/vibration too.

I wanted to get/configure Burbles on my car and have heard MHD tune is needed for it. From what I found so far, MHD can be done as Stage 1 or 2 but they do have an option of just tuning Burbles on stock map..

Does anyone know:
  1. What all parts/hardware do I need to install say Stage 1 map? and approximate cost? (apart from the cable/adapter which I have, I could not see a clear guidance on what all is needed for proper tune)
  2. PREFERRED: Can I just keep the stock map and configure only the MHD burbles? will keeping things stock - hardware wise mess things up?

Appreciate the responses folks!! Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 11:26 AM   #2
CrippledLucifer
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 328i 6MT, '16 F10 535i

Garage List
2016 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
1. Stage 1 tunes are software based remaps. You generally don't require any other hardware for it. I would however STRONGLY recommend swapping the stock plastic charge pipe with an aftermarket aluminum one. The stock ones are notorious for blowing even on factory boost levels. I myself am running a Stage 1 BootMod3 tune with just an upgraded chargepipe for peace of mind. I would also recommend replacing your spark plugs with NGK SILZKBR8D8S (97506) since these are one step colder plugs. You can also look into replacing your coils depending on your mileage. It's a good idea to be sure you're on top of all other maintenance items too before tuning anything.

2. You certainly can keep the stock map and you can definitely configure the burbles. I have also done this but it comes with a word of caution. I STRONGLY recommend to not make your burbles too aggressive because doing that WILL inevitably ruin your factory cats by melting them. For BootMod3 owners, PTF suggests keeping the burble aggression to below 5 (on a scale of 1-12) with the stock downpipe. I'm not familiar with the MHD platform but I suspect they will have a similar suggestion. High-flow cats or a cat-less downpipe are the only solution for more aggressive burble tunes.

One last note, Stage 1 maps IMO really wake up the 535i. For a simple software remap, the additional power/torque figure are quite nice and wake up the car. Why not flash the car with a Stage 1 tune and see how you like it? It's not like you can't flash back to stock if you don't like it. Burbles or not are irrelevant in this case! I'm sure you'll appreciate the performance gain, I know I did.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 09:09 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Bm3 works as well, and its very easy to control the burble tune from your phone.

1- we offer the hardware for free if you get the bm3 from us

2- no point in keeping the stock map as map 1 is safe. You can also select one of the the BMW map like the M2 one which provides a little more power than stock

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0