2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 2014 550i - front right camera powering on and shutting both off?

12-20-2018, 12:45 PM   #1
Rafal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 550i

2014 550i - front right camera powering on and shutting both off?

Hi all! I just got a 2014 550i. The all around camera works great, rear cam does too, however when I put my front cameras on, they turn on for a second, then the right one shuts off before the left one shuts off too.

Then one time it randomly worked for a solid hour, before it went back to crap.

I noticed front parking sensor is not working, aka not detecting anything and it almost ended up in a tall curb.

Damaged sensors/camera? Is this something dealer can look at with a warranty?

Thanks!
Raf

PS. looking for black grilles - anyone selling some?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 01:39 AM   #2
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Might be camera or more likely cable harness, effected by weather/water. I have the same issue come up after driving through 2 days of 4 hr stretches in the rain. My front sensors are still working though so you might want to check both the camera and the harness.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 11:41 AM   #3
johnhva
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535ix

Garage List
14 BMW 535ix  [0.00]
04 BMW 325cic 5MT  [0.00]
16 BMW R1200RT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafal View Post
Hi all! I just got a 2014 550i. The all around camera works great, rear cam does too, however when I put my front cameras on, they turn on for a second, then the right one shuts off before the left one shuts off too.

Then one time it randomly worked for a solid hour, before it went back to crap.

I noticed front parking sensor is not working, aka not detecting anything and it almost ended up in a tall curb.

Damaged sensors/camera? Is this something dealer can look at with a warranty?

Thanks!
Raf

PS. looking for black grilles - anyone selling some?
My 2014 front cameras would only work intermittently and throw up a system failure notice. Dealer SA (a sub from my regular SA) determined that the harness and two fender cameras were failing due to corrosion and refused coverage under warranty -- $2800 estimate. What? Forget it.

I returned to the dealer the next week when my regular SA was back and she covered it no problem and said it's a typical failure. Big job replacing sub-harness under dash, removing seats, pulling up carpet, replacing cameras, etc. and it's been flawless since the replacement. The front harness and fender cameras are not weather sealed enough -- crappy engineering and materials.
      12-24-2018, 01:03 PM   #4
Rafal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhva View Post
My 2014 front cameras would only work intermittently and throw up a system failure notice. Dealer SA (a sub from my regular SA) determined that the harness and two fender cameras were failing due to corrosion and refused coverage under warranty -- $2800 estimate. What? Forget it.

I returned to the dealer the next week when my regular SA was back and she covered it no problem and said it's a typical failure. Big job replacing sub-harness under dash, removing seats, pulling up carpet, replacing cameras, etc. and it's been flawless since the replacement. The front harness and fender cameras are not weather sealed enough -- crappy engineering and materials.
Thanks! Sounds like a trip to the dealer is in my plans then.
Appreciate 0