2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Handbrake self-release next morning

10-10-2018, 11:52 AM   #1
ob2ob2
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G32 630d GT xDrive Msports

Handbrake self-release next morning

I always pull the hand brake when I switch off the engine. The little red LED is on, and there is the "P" icon shows in the dash. Next morning, after I entered the car and started the engine, the hand brake is still on, until I release it.

Recently I noticed, the hand brake wasn't on, the little red LED wasn't on, when I started the engine the next morning.

I thought I might have forgotten to pull the hand brake the night before, so I took special notice, to make sure I have the had brake on every night. However, frequently (7 out of 10) I saw the hand brake wasn't on in the following morning.

Is this a sign of something coming? I hope it isn't a 4-digit bill coming.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 05:09 PM   #2
AussieBob
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 F10 "M5"

I'm aware of a self-release feature if the driver's seat-belt is latched and you move off from stand-still. I always put the brake on before turning the engine off, that uses the alternator power rather than the battery power. Try a few different routines, the Klaus software may need a wake-up. Otherwise the wire connector to the switch may just need a re-seat into the swtich.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 11:09 AM   #3
dessmfc
Rep
Drives: F10 Lux Auto Touring

There is a safety issue with modern rear disc brakes, when the handbrake is applied after some hard driving/braking. If the discs and pads are hot when the handbrake is applied for the final time before exiting the vehicle, when they cool down and contract, they may no longer be in contact with each other, and the car is liable to roll.
I've been to many a 'runaway' car incident in car parks, and residential streets where the car has rolled away overnight, and the owner assures me that the handbrake was set. With an electronic handbrake there is no facility to adjust it, as on a manual when you would pull it a ratchet or 2 higher.
Appreciate 0