2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications N20 BOOTMOD3 S1, Drivetrain Error

02-10-2021, 05:28 PM   #1
Sickboy80
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW x1 28i

N20 BOOTMOD3 S1, Drivetrain Error

Hi.

I have a question about a few things I did and a couple of things I didnt do. I'll break it down into sections, What I have, What I did, What I didn't, and What its doing.

What I have:
2013 528i xdrive 104,000 miles (give or take). Stock everything else except the wheels and tires (staggered 20". 9" fronts, 11" rears) Thats it.

What I did:
I bought BOOTMOD3 Stage 1 - 91 Octane and installed it last night. I was curious as to what the difference was between the 91 and 93 octane for the Stage 1 Mod. So this morning I had to get gas and ironically enough I went to BP and all they had was 93 but I chose the 91Mod. So I googled it and nothing negative come to sorts regarding using 93 octane with a 91 BOOTMOD3. So I put like 30 bucks in.

Car ran totally fine yesterday and this morning. However, on my way home from work and just as Im leaving the parking lot the Drivetrain error pops up. Long story short, I drove it home in manual mode and it seemed to run fine unless I gave it a heavier bit of acceleration - the the error came back up.

SO when I got home, I plugged my laptop in and started BOOTMOD3 and saw this option for "Transmission" something I didn't notice when the night I flashed my engine.

What I didn't Do:
I DIDNT, flash the TCU so that it removes the torque limiter, etc, when I flashed the engine the night before (Could that do bad things?).
I checked out the errors using an CARLY and what I was getting was that cylinder 2 misfire followed by a list of other Cylinder 2 errors that go hand in hand.
140201, Misfiring, cylinder 2: injection is switched off.
140001, Combustion misfires, a plurality of cylinders: injection is switched off
140210, Misfiring, Cylinder 2: Recognized
140010 misfire, several cylinders.

What its doing:
Car is obviously doing everything it says above lol.

The troubleshooting steps I took was to clean the MAS per some Youtube Video. That didn't do anything, I switched Cylinder 2 ignition coil with Cylinder 1 and this was the results:

140010, misfire, several cylinders: Recognized
140110, Misfiring, Cylinder 1: Recognized
140001, Combustion misfires, a plurality of cylinders: injection is switched off
140101, Misfiring, cylinder 1: injection is switched off.

So is it safe to say that Cylinder 1's coil is bad? (obvious answer I think)

Do you think because I installed the BOOTMOD3 it caused that? Was it the 93 gas? Is it because I didn't flash the Transmission too?

Any help or recommendations or suggestions would be great! I've read nothing but good things about the BOOTMOD3 flash too so Im hoping its not that. I just wanted my car to run a bit more like it should. lol
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 05:38 PM   #2
mashpotato
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 F10 N55

104k miles on stock coils and plugs? If so yes, I mean even stock, I won't be surprised if you have a bunch of timing corrections with no misfires.

Good coils (Eldor) and plugs (NGK 1 step colder) gap properly is a must if you want to push, suggest you go back to stock and have the right parts first
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 06:23 PM   #3
Sickboy80
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW x1 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashpotato View Post
104k miles on stock coils and plugs?
No, I changed them out a couple of years ago. The car sat for like 18 months because I couldn't drive for a lil while lol. But right before the car sat I swapped the plugs and coils out. I've had my car to the dealer and everything checked out prior to all of this.
Appreciate 0