2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions Proper Tire Gauges

08-03-2010, 12:06 PM   #1
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
Proper Tire Gauges

I recently bot a proper tire gauge and what I discovered was a bit surprising. I just bot a Michelin Digital Tire gauge and it exposed to me the amount of error in my regular analog version. These tests are unscientific, but it's what I have experienced:
Marin of error in PSI +/-:
Michelin Digital Tire Gauge: 0.1 -0.3
Slime Brass Tire Gauge with Bleeder Valve: 0.5 - 1.0
Cheapo Pen Version: 1.0-2.0

Moral of the Story: Considering how import tire pressure is in a car, it's worth spending $20 on a good one. (Especially for guys who are as neuotic as me)

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 04:18 AM   #2
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoman39 View Post
I recently bot a proper tire gauge and what I discovered was a bit surprising. I just bot a Michelin Digital Tire gauge and it exposed to me the amount of error in my regular analog version. These tests are unscientific, but it's what I have experienced:
Marin of error in PSI +/-:
Michelin Digital Tire Gauge: 0.1 -0.3
Slime Brass Tire Gauge with Bleeder Valve: 0.5 - 1.0
Cheapo Pen Version: 1.0-2.0

Moral of the Story: Considering how import tire pressure is in a car, it's worth spending $20 on a good one. (Especially for guys who are as neuotic as me)
Gatoman,
OK, we're neurotic, but there's nothing the likes of us can do about it; if we weren't worrying about tyre pressures, there'd be something else to fret about.
Case in point being the price difference between the UK and the US - are you saying that you bought that Michelin gauge for $20? The cheapest I can find it here is £25 - that's $39, and I thought I was going to have a good day !!!
As a matter of interest, what did you use to determine the gauge accuracy?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 10:33 AM   #3
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Gatoman,
OK, we're neurotic, but there's nothing the likes of us can do about it; if we weren't worrying about tyre pressures, there'd be something else to fret about.
Case in point being the price difference between the UK and the US - are you saying that you bought that Michelin gauge for $20? The cheapest I can find it here is £25 - that's $39, and I thought I was going to have a good day !!!
As a matter of interest, what did you use to determine the gauge accuracy?
You can buy that gauge off the internet. 40 bucks sounds expensive. I used the digital gauge as the reference as, repeated measurements yielded the same numbers. Then I measured the other gauges off of the reading I got with the digital gauge. This is all on the assumption that the digital gauge is the most accurate of the 3. Considering it's measuring in increments of 1/10 of a PSI when the others are using units of 1 and 2 respectively, I think it's safe to make this assumption.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Michelin uses truly disturbing puppets to talk about importance of tire pressure

[u2b]Om_dNhss3sw&feature[/u2b]
Appreciate 0