2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Help! - My N55 threw a rod

12-20-2016, 11:07 AM   #1
bar6755
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i Grey - Dead :(

Exclamation Help! - My N55 threw a rod

I need a little help here. When all else fails: ask the internet.

Last week on a drive from Georgia to Penn State for capstone/graduation, my 2013 535i with less than 65,000 miles threw a rod. I was driving normally on I77, in no particular hurry to conserve fuel and avoid any speeding violations. Just outside of Columbia, SC I began to hear a chatter followed immediately by a "clunk" and then the "Drivetrain Malfunction: ..." message on the iDrive screen. 5:00am, 23F outside, still dark, 550 miles from my destination, oil and smoke everywhere. Good times.

BMW stated the vehicle is out of warranty so there is nothing to do from their standpoint.
Insurance will not cover the damage since I didn't crash.

I am looking at a +$23,000 bill from the dealership for an engine replacement.
The main question I have is: what do I do with the thing?

Also, has anyone else had issues with their N55? I streamed the threads and it seems like mostly good things to say apart from the oil filter housing leak. I love BMWs and I understand with mileage there are risks, but this is a big turn off and a very difficult pill to swallow without a grudge.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 11:20 AM   #2
Paco23
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i X

No 3rd party warranty? Is the vehicle paid off?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 11:27 AM   #3
AMT92
Lieutenant Colonel
Iran
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

How long have you been out of warranty for? Any mods? How's your dealership relationship?

Your sig says 2013 model so I'm assuming you ran out warranty sometime this year based on mileage. I would say fight with BMW NA to do something out of goodwill. It's not acceptable to have one of their flagship engines THROW A ROD at 65k miles, unless it was operated negligence with respect to maintenance.

Might be worth consulting an attorney to get their opinion on the matter.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 11:47 AM   #4
bar6755
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco23 View Post
No 3rd party warranty? Is the vehicle paid off?
Sadly no. The plan was to resolve that after graduation. I assumed with the low mileage it was relatively low risk. Big mistake.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 11:56 AM   #5
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E46 330i, R56 Mini.S

A thrown rod is not a common failure on an N55, but it likely boils down to bad luck.

You can press BMW for goodwill, which you likely won't get, or just lick your wound, tow to a qualified independant, and get an engine replaced parts/labor for about $10k using a second hand engine.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2016, 01:30 PM   #6
AMT92
Lieutenant Colonel
Iran
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stück View Post
A thrown rod is not a common failure on an N55, but it likely boils down to bad luck.

You can press BMW for goodwill, which you likely won't get, or just lick your wound, tow to a qualified independant, and get an engine replaced parts/labor for about $10k using a second hand engine.
Depending on how long he's been out of warranty (maybe 6 months or less), I've seen BMW do goodwill cases with enough pressure.

I think it's worth seeing a lemon law/auto attorney.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 03:08 PM   #7
Trian
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i M-Sport

Quote:
get an engine replaced parts/labor for about $10k using a second hand engine.
I agree with this. I blew my motor on a 2000 740iL. My choices were parting the car out or fixing & selling. I put in a used motor and then sold it. My total loss was about $5,000, instead of the higher amount that might have been

This isn't very consoling, but the motor is gone so you have to do something.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 09:18 PM   #8
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

$23k for a new engine? no way in hell, you can part out the damn thing and pick up another f10 for the same money, similar mileage used..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 11:04 PM   #9
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

As hard as it may be to accept, and as suggested by Stuck above, you need to lick your wounds and get the engine replaced. You can shop around and likely get a decent second hand N55 with similar mileage on it for $4k - $6k. Then pay a good independent a few grand to do the swap for you. I would NOT pay over $20k to put a brand new engine in a car that otherwise has traveled over 65k miles.

Reality is, even if you press BMW to help you, they're not going to do this for $0. So, let's say they even go 50/50 with you - you're still going to pay thousands more than going the above-mentioned route.

For what it's worth, I also don't think it's right to try to pin this on BMW as some are suggesting. The N55 is a very reliable engine, but sometimes things DO break... and in very bad ways. The car is over 15k miles past its warranty, which in real terms equates to about a full year of typical driving. Fair is fair, and the warranty is pretty cut-and-dry about the mileage limitation. I'm sure none of us would like it much if BMW tried to say they wouldn't cover a warranty claim at 35k miles, or otherwise trying to negotiate a 15k mile advantage to their benefit despite what the agreement clearly states. BMW has zero obligation here. And while there have been instances where they've tried to go above-and-beyond to offer good will, I'm doubtful, as I said above, that they'd go beyond a 50% credit (and then just on the parts).

Fact is, owning a car, especially an expensive one, out of warranty comes with inherent risks. In most cases, the liability manifests as a few hundred here and a few thousand there as things go bad. But in some cases, such as this, you get hit with much bigger bills. It's always a good idea to look at your liability in terms of a total loss. Then you decide how to cover your liability - either by self-insuring (you've got the means to cover any and all repairs, including a total loss) or through some kind of insurance or warranty.

BMW makes great cars, and as your research has shown, the problem you've run into is extremely atypical. Otherwise said, it's just extremely bad luck. So hopefully that doesn't turn you off from the brand. But ironic that you were heading to a graduation - without the risk of making TOO much light of the situation, I'm sure you'll log this experience as an important life lesson!

I hope this all works out for you. As I said, I'd check the secondary market for an N55. The good news is, they've been so widely used that there should be plenty out there. Find a good independent shop and have them do the swap for you. It won't be a pretty bill, but I'm betting you can do the whole thing for under $10k. Then drive this car until the wheels fall off... you'll recoup your loss here.
Appreciate 2
      12-21-2016, 11:05 AM   #10
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
If you have to replace it drop the V8 in there or for 23k have a LS7 dropped in it. A rod on a N55 sounds super suspect. Sounds like a bad tune that wasn't be monitored. Check with the guys in e9x and F30 N55's and see if they've had this issue and how they dealt with it.

If it wasn't a bad tune, possibly see if the ecu was faulty and therefore it might be BMWs fault. If there was a shitty tune in it, then you have to prove that the dealer sold it to you like that. Sorry man, best of luck.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 11:05 AM   #11
Gpfarrell
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 6MT Imperial Blue 550i M-sport

Used engine, indy shop is the path forward.

I'm not sure that removing and replacing that very complicated engine will be a very complicated job. It's a straight six in a rwd car. Not rocket science.

Somebody must have wrecked a 535 just like yours... find that car and get that engine.

I think you're wasting time looking for BMW NA help, and as said above their path forward would be so stupid expensive that they couldn't help you enough.

Bummer, but the car's worth so much more running that you have to get it going again.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 09:57 PM   #12
bar6755
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the replies and advice everyone.
I reached out to the folks at Dinan. They were more than helpful. My thoughts were that if I was going to have to do a replacement, there might as well be an upgrade. Unfortunately they did not have any components available. It was a pleasure dealing with them so no harm no foul.

As it stands now, the car is just sitting at the Dealership. I rent so I have no where to tow it. I'm expecting a new kid in April so all my savings are for the new family. Everything is essentially in a holding pattern. I did get an offer for the car as is: $6,500. Right now all that can be done is make the payments for the car and make sure insurance is covered so the loan does not default

I'd like to thank everyone again for the adviceI played a risky game and got burnt, badly. I don't blame BMW but there will always be a fear that their engines are not as strong as they should be. I really needed this car to last a couple years or at least not explode. The humor of the situation has kind of run out.
Good luck to everyone in the new year.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 10:54 AM   #13
bar6755
United_States
Rep

Update

I wrote a letter to BMW corporate stating my case. Everything was handled through an escalation supervisor. BMW USA corporate came back with an offer to cover the parts to replace the engine. Since this was the bulk of the cost, I am more than happy with their token of good will.

Currently, the car is at the dealer being repaired. Labor costs were estimated to be around $4k. We shall see. The service manager hopes to get me the car back within the week.

A new motor and 2-year warranty: I am more than okay with that.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 11:06 AM   #14
KmanM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

Did your car have the Dinantronics software installed on it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bar6755 View Post
Thanks for the replies and advice everyone.
I reached out to the folks at Dinan. They were more than helpful. My thoughts were that if I was going to have to do a replacement, there might as well be an upgrade. Unfortunately they did not have any components available. It was a pleasure dealing with them so no harm no foul.

As it stands now, the car is just sitting at the Dealership. I rent so I have no where to tow it. I'm expecting a new kid in April so all my savings are for the new family. Everything is essentially in a holding pattern. I did get an offer for the car as is: $6,500. Right now all that can be done is make the payments for the car and make sure insurance is covered so the loan does not default

I'd like to thank everyone again for the adviceI played a risky game and got burnt, badly. I don't blame BMW but there will always be a fear that their engines are not as strong as they should be. I really needed this car to last a couple years or at least not explode. The humor of the situation has kind of run out.
Good luck to everyone in the new year.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 11:09 AM   #15
otapnam
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i M Sport

Quote:
I wrote a letter to BMW corporate stating my case. Everything was handled through an escalation supervisor. BMW USA corporate came back with an offer to cover the parts to replace the engine. Since this was the bulk of the cost, I am more than happy with their token of good will.

Currently, the car is at the dealer being repaired. Labor costs were estimated to be around $4k. We shall see. The service manager hopes to get me the car back within the week.

Sounds like the best resolution to a horrible situation. Congrats on the upcoming child btw. We bought our '14 535 right after we had our second. Lol
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 12:27 PM   #16
bimmer_335
Major
Rep
Drives: 540 mSport

Quote:

Good for you... this is great to hear
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 12:44 PM   #17
mness
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535iM

Quote:

GREAT news! Must've been a really nice letter you wrote. Good luck with the car & family.
2013 535i M-Sport: Carbon Black with Oyster/Black Dakota, SAT, Driver Assistance Pkg, Premium Pkg, Multi-Contour Heated Seats, Navigation, H/K stereo. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S non-runflats, M5 grille, Painted reflectors from IND.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 01:02 PM   #18
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:

And then sell that shit like hot cakes and get a new one
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      03-09-2017, 01:12 PM   #19
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:

Great, good to hear, great job BMW.

You're still 4K out of pocket expenses, but you know, sometimes bad things happen, this is good outcome all things considered.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 04:43 PM   #20
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Quote:

$10k how much is the engine it cant be more than $5k
install shouldn't be more than maybe $1500 its easy swapping engine.
      03-09-2017, 07:04 PM   #21
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E46 330i, R56 Mini.S

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Jeffe 5 View Post
$10k how much is the engine it cant be more than $5k
install shouldn't be more than maybe $1500 its easy swapping engine.
I think you live in your own little universe if you think that is the case.

Average low mileage used N55 goes for $5000-6500. List price on a new longblock is $21k.

There is a legitimate 25-30 hours of labor to R&R the long block engine with the customers accessories. Multiply that by shop hourly rate and it will get you close.

Also factor in another $500 of seals, gaskets, hoses, fluids and other consumables.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 07:05 PM   #22
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Quote:
I think you live in your own little universe if you think that is the case.

Average low mileage used N55 goes for $5000-6500. List price on a new longblock is $21k.

There is a legitimate 25-30 hours of labor to R&R the long block engine with the customers accessories. Multiply that by shop hourly rate and it will get you close.

Also factor in another $500 of seals, gaskets, hoses, fluids and other consumables.
yeah I can see that now when you brake it down like that