2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions Tried 4 Kidney Grilles & None Fit?

11-30-2018, 08:47 AM   #1
E60toF10
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White F10 535i

Tried 4 Kidney Grilles & None Fit?

Hello,

I tried to search the forum for this answer but I can not find the answer I am looking for. I apologize if I am not searching correctly and this has been solved elsewhere.

I have now purchased 4 different sets of Black kidney grilles, and NONE of them have fit correctly. On my E60 I had no problem out of the first set, they just snapped in and fit flush. They were nothing special, bought on ebay.

My first set for the F10 did not snap in, it fit in diameter but it would not snap in no matter how hard i pushed. It stuck out at least .5 inch on edges.

My second set came in and the tabs that snap the grille in place were not cut from manufacturing, so the plastic was blocking the clips from being able to snap in.

Third set was the same as first set, would not sit flush.

Fourth set one of the tabs was broken upon arrival, but it still did not sit flush like OEM.

Do I just have really bad luck going aftermarket right now, or is this a problem for everyone else too? I was trying to avoid going OEM because I would rather spend money on coil-overs right now.

Thank you for any help you can provide. If you have had luck with a good set of matte black aftermarket grilles, please let me know where so I can try a fifth time, lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 12:11 PM   #2
E60toF10
United_States
Rep

Solved! This Might Help Others! Read!

So everyone, I ordered a new set of grilles. I tried them, and they ALMOST fit flush. But it still seemed like something wasn't snapping in right.

So, I got mad and then decided to take a few mins to take the grilles apart, they come in 2 pieces. Once I had them apart, I took the inner half and clicked it into place, BOOM, they all snapped in and clicked tight. Then, I took the other half of the grille, the front piece, and snapped it in to place. They fit flush now!

Apparently the aftermarket grilles do not like to snap in flush unless you take them apart. If anyone else is having this problem, try this method! I have not found this instruction on any other forum so hopefully this helps you if you are stuck like I was!
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2019, 10:07 PM   #3
tek1v
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by E60toF10 View Post
So everyone, I ordered a new set of grilles. I tried them, and they ALMOST fit flush. But it still seemed like something wasn't snapping in right.

So, I got mad and then decided to take a few mins to take the grilles apart, they come in 2 pieces. Once I had them apart, I took the inner half and clicked it into place, BOOM, they all snapped in and clicked tight. Then, I took the other half of the grille, the front piece, and snapped it in to place. They fit flush now!

Apparently the aftermarket grilles do not like to snap in flush unless you take them apart. If anyone else is having this problem, try this method! I have not found this instruction on any other forum so hopefully this helps you if you are stuck like I was!

Agreed ..I tried to push them in and it just snapped the tabs holding the 2 pieces together.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 07:57 PM   #4
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

if you ordered them from Ebay there's always the chance of not having 100% fitment. the only way for 100% is OEM. I will say that maybe I got lucky but for my gloss double slats fitment was I dunno 90%

my carbon fiber single slats fit 95%

~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2019, 08:56 PM   #5
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

My M5 replica grills are about 98%. If I get out a micrometer I can tell the difference but I really can't tell any real discrepancy with the Mk1 Mod1 eyeball.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 12:45 PM   #6
E60toF10
United_States
Rep

My new ones are about 75% flush, not terrible. The fact that i got them seated at all was enough for me to just deal with it. for the price I paid, I cant complain.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 12:51 AM   #7
MAuto
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 523i (N53)

My M5 replica grills snaps right in it fits almost 100%
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 07:08 AM   #8
Proimport
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 535i

Got my gloss double from amazon 95% fit. But I had to remove the grill cover and insert the slates in first and had to push the cover into place.
Appreciate 0