2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications 2011 535i base oil leak oil cooler

12-12-2018, 08:55 PM   #23
F10535
Rep
Drives: 535i

pull the pan the bolts do have to be replaced. replace the oil pickup " those bolts need to be replaced as well"
look up into the front of the engine and pick as much material out as possible. if there is belt inside the engine you need to replace the crank seal because that's the point of entry
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 08:57 PM   #24
95sloow_f10
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10535 View Post
pull the pan the bolts do have to be replaced. replace the oil pickup " those bolts need to be replaced as well"
look up into the front of the engine and pick as much material out as possible. if there is belt inside the engine you need to replace the crank seal because that's the point of entry
I can also remove the harmonic balancer and check the seal , if it's leaking then I do need to remove oil pan.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 09:20 PM   #25
F10535
Rep
Drives: 535i

correct however here and there the belt goes through the seal without too much physical damage really if your able too pull the pan and balancer just to play it safe
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 11:48 PM   #26
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stück View Post
100% your failure to correct the issue in a timely manner just got a lot more expensive. The belt breaking is the normal failure that brings severely neglected leaking cars into the shop.
This! as soon as the dealer told me about this leak I had it replaced ASAP. not by the dealer since they wanted my left kidney but I went to an Indy for half the price with lifetime warranty
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 02:19 PM   #27
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
This! as soon as the dealer told me about this leak I had it replaced ASAP. not by the dealer since they wanted my left kidney but I went to an Indy for half the price with lifetime warranty
I sure LOVE having a dealer that is extremely competitive with the local, recommended indy. At worst the dealer is around 5% higher. On my trans flush and diff oil change my dealer was significantly less expensive than the indy; AND I got a loaner!!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 01:18 AM   #28
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
I sure LOVE having a dealer that is extremely competitive with the local, recommended indy. At worst the dealer is around 5% higher. On my trans flush and diff oil change my dealer was significantly less expensive than the indy; AND I got a loaner!!
i guess it depends on what services you're getting. I know when my rear brakes are due next Spring the Dealer quoted my around $400-450 and my Indy shop quoted me about $500. for oil changes it's $125 at both Indy and the dealer but at least with the Dealer I get a free loaner for the day
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2019, 08:34 AM   #29
lefty954
Rep
Drives: 2015 f10bo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stück View Post
100% your failure to correct the issue in a timely manner just got a lot more expensive. The belt breaking is the normal failure that brings severely neglected leaking cars into the shop.

The correction now (beyond what I posted earlier) is pull the harmonic balancer and inspect/replace the crank seal. Drop the engine oil pan and remove belt material from the sump. Pick belt material out of the timing chain. Remove the oil pump pickup and flush belt debris from it.

Is there anything extra that can be done when replacing this gasket?

is there a better aftermarket gasket that will last longer? is there a sealant that can be used along with the gasket?

seems like it happens a lot between the oil housing and motor.

i will be taking mine to my mechanic next week. although my issue is not as bad as the posters issue there is a very very small weep of oil coming out. after seeing this i will get it fixed asap.

I read that i should replace the belt and a few other things while doing this repair, are there any other things i should do while doing this?

thanks guys

jeff
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 02:16 PM   #30
Shieldze1025
Keepin' America Free
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyy954 View Post
Is there anything extra that can be done when replacing this gasket?

is there a better aftermarket gasket that will last longer? is there a sealant that can be used along with the gasket?

seems like it happens a lot between the oil housing and motor.

i will be taking mine to my mechanic next week. although my issue is not as bad as the posters issue there is a very very small weep of oil coming out. after seeing this i will get it fixed asap.

I read that i should replace the belt and a few other things while doing this repair, are there any other things i should do while doing this?

thanks guys

jeff
Do all 3 gaskets at once- Oil filter housing gasket, oil cooler gasket, and valve cover gasket. You'll do a full oil change and coolant swap when you do those.

You can replace the belt, but don't have to. I didn't as mine was in good shape and it's not necessary to remove.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough"
-Mario Andretti
Appreciate 0