2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum CEL, Drivetrain Malfunction, Ignition Stall N63tu 550i

12-12-2018, 11:58 AM   #1
BMWisFRIEND
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 BMW M550i

CEL, Drivetrain Malfunction, Ignition Stall N63tu 550i

Hi all,

So I have some weird issues I was wondering if anyone else has had with their N63tu 550i (48k mi).

It all started a few months ago, I was driving along one day when I noticed the car shaking/shuttering as I drove. I stopped at a light and the car was noticeably jerking. Acceleration was rough, the CEL came on, etc. I got to my destination, parked, came back and hour later and no issues (CEL went away after a couple of days).

A couple weeks later, I was driving along and I got a drivetrain malfunction warning / to head to a dealer ASAP. Stopped at a gas station to fuel up, turned it back on, no issues (DTM went away after 2 mins / CEL went away after a couple of days).

A couple weeks after that I went to start the car, and it wouldn't turn over. Felt like I was trying to start a 1994 Ford Explorer. Let it sit for a few mins, then it started with no issues.

Lastly, this weekend, the CEL just came on (no shuttering/stuttering), then went off a couple of days later.

Next time I get a CEL I'm definitely going to O'Reily's to check the code but does this sound like a problem anyone's had? I am out of warranty but would definitely like to get this fixed at this point. As of now, the car drives perfectly normal but there's obviously something going on.

Thanks ahead of time for your help everyone.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 12:55 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWisFRIEND View Post
Hi all,

So I have some weird issues I was wondering if anyone else has had with their N63tu 550i (48k mi).

It all started a few months ago, I was driving along one day when I noticed the car shaking/shuttering as I drove. I stopped at a light and the car was noticeably jerking. Acceleration was rough, the CEL came on, etc. I got to my destination, parked, came back and hour later and no issues (CEL went away after a couple of days).

A couple weeks later, I was driving along and I got a drivetrain malfunction warning / to head to a dealer ASAP. Stopped at a gas station to fuel up, turned it back on, no issues (DTM went away after 2 mins / CEL went away after a couple of days).

A couple weeks after that I went to start the car, and it wouldn't turn over. Felt like I was trying to start a 1994 Ford Explorer. Let it sit for a few mins, then it started with no issues.

Lastly, this weekend, the CEL just came on (no shuttering/stuttering), then went off a couple of days later.

Next time I get a CEL I'm definitely going to O'Reily's to check the code but does this sound like a problem anyone's had? I am out of warranty but would definitely like to get this fixed at this point. As of now, the car drives perfectly normal but there's obviously something going on.

Sounds like the same problems the N63 had... You might want to check out the N63 problem threads.
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      12-12-2018, 02:13 PM   #3
335socal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 335 coupe

Quote:
Hi all,

Car shaking, sounds like coils/spark plugs/fuel injectors. Making the engine cylinder firing off rythm and making the car shake.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 08:12 PM   #4
Kyngofpop
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 4

Join the club bud...welcome
      12-13-2018, 10:18 AM   #5
BMWisFRIEND
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 BMW M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyngofpop View Post
Haha. How much have you spent in repairs?

335socal and ezaircon4jc, noted. I will do some further research.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 10:23 AM   #6
Kyngofpop
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyngofpop View Post

Mine is the standard N63 but the symptoms sound the exact same. I haven't kept track of all I've spent but it's obscene. Currently battling VANOS and Camshaft DTM's that no one can figure out, they just keep throwing parts at it. I wish ya luck man.
      12-13-2018, 02:14 PM   #7
335socal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 335 coupe

Quote:

I probably spent about $1000 in repairs as deductible, but my extended warranty spent over $15k already. Now, my car will be going in to get my turbo replaced and FRM module.
Appreciate 0