2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding LED Adaptive Headlight Retrofit Guide

06-06-2020, 08:42 AM   #67
Akhlaghi
Rep
Drives: BMW F25,F26

My ZGW-02 4sk part number is 9312602 and FRM3 is 9290014
HWEL 001 000 001
BTLD 013 003 000
CAFD 012 004 010
SWE1 013 003 035
SWE2 013 003 035
SWE3 013 003 035
SWE4 013 003 040
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 03:36 PM   #68
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

So you're doing it wrong. The ZGW cannot be VO Coded, since there is no CAFD file in it. You can only FLASH it with the VO that has 552 added. Also you need a different FRM like the one below. See how it shows only 2 SWEs and not 4

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-OEM-M5-...8fe6%7Ciid%3A1

You can find a ZGW for similar price if not lower and I would highly recommend replacing both modules and then flashing them before connecting the headlights..and then coding or flashing the LHM and TMS modules.

(This way you still have your original modules just in case you need them)
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 08:26 AM   #69
Akhlaghi
Rep

I replaced FRM as you said now I have STML, STMR, LHM and initializing TMS successful, headlight turn on but with adaptive error I have an error message in STML and STMR ( Lin bus communication fault) and these in FRM ( Lin bus communication fault in both STML and STMR ,and HW encoding and SW encoding implausible) I checked Lin bus voltage it was around 11V, swapped TMS left with right but no success changed with another TMS the result was like before, I did code and program FRM, TMS, LHM no success
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 03:48 PM   #70
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep

Can you share the E-sys screen shot and the ISTA screen shot that shows the control tree and the error. Im thinking if LIN is good, and you can see the modules, that means CAN3 is good too. You should first code the TMS modules to your car using ESYS. If there is no CAFD file in them, you should inject the CAFD and then code. You know how to do that right? if you are getting an error in trying to inject CAFD, you may want to use a modified FA with 552 added and 522 removed and build date of 9/13 or similar (LCI build date) and then calculate TAL and Flash the TMS/LHM modules (make sure to use the HW ID from Actual). And this should flash the modules and inject CAFD as needed.

Once all of this is done, you will have to run the headlight initialization sequence..and then you should be good to go.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 12:37 AM   #71
Akhlaghi
Rep

My email: Alz.akhlaghi@gmail.com and I can send pics with WhatsApp
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 10:22 PM   #72
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep

Just updating here.. the newer FRM (correct part number for LCI/LED) can be seen and we can VO Code it and we can Flash it via e-sys etc, but when we try to do a vehicle test, it comes back with LIN Bus Defective/Errors, and also the FRM comes back as needs coding (coding implausible) errors.

If we run the headlight initialization routine, all LEDs are recognized and the procedure runs successfully. However, even then, the LIN BUS and FRM errors persist.

I'm beginning to suspect something inherently bad with the FRM but as I said, with E-sys we are able to flash it and VO code it and FDL code it without any hiccups (Guessing that's because those activities occur on K-CAN2 bus and that portion of the FRM is working fine.

The wiring seems ok as well with KCAN3 added to pins 9 through 12 as per wiring diagram in TIS and modules showing up correctly and being able to code and program each one.

Somethings either wrong with the FRM either HW wise of SW wise so if anyone has a clue, please chime in
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 09:19 AM   #73
yahyasethi@gmail.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Hi, I have BMW F10 model 2011, i recently bought LED lights but the pin layout of my original lights and LED lights is different, can someone help me how to fit these LED lights
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 02:16 PM   #74
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahyasethi@gmail.com View Post
Hi, I have BMW F10 model 2011, i recently bought LED lights but the pin layout of my original lights and LED lights is different, can someone help me how to fit these LED lights
Yes, read this.

https://f10.5post.com/forums/showpos...34&postcount=1
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 07:01 PM   #75
katu0529
Registered
Rep

The numbers 7 and 8 on the right side of PleLCI are the opposite, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy27 View Post
I put the following Diagrams together for my own attempt at converting Pre-LCI Xenon to LCI LED Headlights. I also made one for LCI Xenon to LCI LED.

For those who have already done this conversion, could you chime in if this looks correct? I am going to basically create a harness that can be removed easily to go back to preLCi Xenon so I'm coming up with a wiring harness that will be plug and play (Except for the pins needed for ZGW and for the Footwell Module.

For now, would just love some confirmation that I'm on the right track or if there are glaring errors, please do highlight. Next step is to actually create the harness
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 12:50 AM   #76
yahyasethi@gmail.com
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmooManiak View Post
Hi, Thank you very much, although i am not well versed with all the details mentioned there so will see a mechanic for this, but wanted to ask as my the pin layout of my original light and LED light is different , will i need to change the pin configuration of the grip that attaches to the light
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 11:10 AM   #77
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by katu0529 View Post
The numbers 7 and 8 on the right side of PleLCI are the opposite, right?

Quote:
I put the following Diagrams together for my own attempt at converting Pre-LCI Xenon to LCI LED Headlights. I also made one for LCI Xenon to LCI LED.

For those who have already done this conversion, could you chime in if this looks correct? I am going to basically create a harness that can be removed easily to go back to preLCi Xenon so I'm coming up with a wiring harness that will be plug and play (Except for the pins needed for ZGW and for the Footwell Module.

For now, would just love some confirmation that I'm on the right track or if there are glaring errors, please do highlight. Next step is to actually create the harness
Both PRE LCI headlights should have identical pin outs. If you see a discrepancy in my diagram, go with the table that Alba posted.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 02:32 AM   #78
barnabro
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 330ci

Quote:
More progress to report, I've got ZGW flashed, and the newer FRM also flashed and coded. Right now everything seems to be working as if this care came from factory with LEDs.

Here is my summary of parts to get it to work with my Pre-LCI f10 with CIC:
1x ZGW High Plus code to car
1x FRM from 2014 plus (one with the 2 SWE labeled in a table not 4)
1x Set of LED lights complete
1x Custom wiring harness to mimic exact connections from rear fuse box all the way to headlights (wanted to it to be reversible)

I'm happy to share my FA/SVTs if anyone else is tackling this.
Hi Addy,

Just wondering if you had any issues with the turn signals? My buddy has bought a 2013 build pre-LCI which had the adaptive xenons, but it seems a previous owner has retrofitted LCI LEDs. The LEDs function and so do the adaptive functions, but we have a turn signal fault code appear when you use the indicators. They seem to work fine though!

The headlights seem to be coded in and the LEDs taught in as there’s no codes and obviously they’re functioning. Just seems a little odd because as far as I can tell both pre-LCI and LCI LED headlights use LED turn signals.

Got E-SYS at the ready but I’m not entirely sure what needs coding for this particular issue.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 10:27 AM   #79
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep

I'd seen a turn signal fault pop up after initial install but running the teach in function in ISTA had fixed it. Was the FRM recoded at any point? or an older FA written to the car while coding? I can try and pull my ncd file(CAFD) file if you want a little later
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 05:20 AM   #80
E92LeoZ
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 N54 335xi 6m

I think I bit off more than I could chew with this retrofit...
I installed all the programs I was so ready.

I have a 2015 535. 10/2014 build date.
LCI Adaptive xenon.
FRM3 with the 2 row SWE.
ZGW-02 8SK.

Trying to retrofit adaptive LEDS..

TLDR: I have STMR and STML modules but I do not have my LHM modules showing up.

Tis is shut down and I can't get wiring diagrams anywhere now for my car and donor car lights. (Got lucky enough to get the vin from the seller of the lights) I'm not sure what I'm missing..
I was following a different thread on how to do this. Person had a LCI Adaptive Xenon and apparently only needed to add two wires for pin 3 on R/L headlight. I believe I am prewired for pin 5 like in the other thread. When I pulled fuse 127, 108 (if I remember correctly) both headlights went out.

Anyway I ran the two wires, one from trunk fuse box, one from front junction box, I took the two pins out of the FRM on both connectors. (6 and 38)

So I only ran two like the guide I was following. I did not run 4 wires from the ZGW that I saw in the other posts on this thread.

After I wired everything up...
And here's where I realized I shouldn't have started this. (No coding experience..)
Anyway, open up Esys, (saved like every file 5 different times) VO code delete 524 add 552, then I went to VCM write fp, go back to coding and hit code on frm. (Did save svt backup before obviously since i don't know what I'm doing)

Aaand then plugged headlights in after reading vo codes to make sure adaptive led code is still there

Anyway, I'm not really sure how I got my headlights to turn on... but the angel eyes and drl turned on. I believe I hit "code" on both of the TMS modules..
Check ISTA, the CAFD files were added to the STMR and STML.

The actual headlights did not turn on though (low beam) I'm assuming because of the LHM ecus.

I'm now having an issue that I don't see my LHM ecu's... I did not "flash" my zgw ecu. (At this point things just got scary so I just stopped immediately...) I felt comfortable enough to edit the VO codes and that's about it, haha..
Can I contact anyone here through messages or telegram or something? Would be very grateful for some help.. in the mean time I will read more on how to use esys..
Both LHM modules are in tact and on the headlights
Please don't flame me, I already know I made a mistake, and at this point I'm going to have to get someone to do the coding for me, because I won't be able to... hopefully someone can tell me if I'm missing anything with wires, etc..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 05:28 PM   #81
willywi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW x3, BMW x5

I'm having a similar issue with retrofitting adaptive led headlight from halogen on an F25. Everything works except the adaptive function, not sure if that's due to not having ride height level sensor. I see few error codes in ISTA which are TMS left LIN and right LIN defective(805D04, 805E84), left LIN right LIN communication fault(800FC8, 800FC9). I'm also getting left side Daytime/Parking lamp malfunction in Idrive, I don't see any code related to left daytime/parking lamp in ISTA. However when I turn on low beam daytime/parking lamp malfunction goes away, it seems like the code only appears on Idrive when low beam is off(lamp position is in parking lamp or off). I have already purchased 2 left-side headlights assembly and tried 3 different TMS modules even swapping the one from the right side headlight they all have this daytime/parking lamp malfunction when the low beam is off so definitely not a hardware problem. Every light is functioning so not sure why it's throwing this code.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 02:20 AM   #82
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep

Without the 4 wires, you are NOT getting KCAN3 from ZGW to the headlights so you won't be able to see or communicate with those modules. That and there is some rewiring/repinning to match the LED headlights input pins. My diagram shows the remapping for LCI headlights to LED conversion too.

The other guy might have reused wired already on the existing headlight and repining them on headlight and removing the other end from FRM and connecting to ZGW.

The modules that you DO see are on the LIN bus talking to the FRM. The ones you DONT see are the ones that are connected via KCAN3 bus from ZGW to LED headlights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92LeoZ View Post
I think I bit off more than I could chew with this retrofit...
I installed all the programs I was so ready.

I have a 2015 535. 10/2014 build date.
LCI Adaptive xenon.
FRM3 with the 2 row SWE.
ZGW-02 8SK.

Trying to retrofit adaptive LEDS..

TLDR: I have STMR and STML modules but I do not have my LHM modules showing up.

Tis is shut down and I can't get wiring diagrams anywhere now for my car and donor car lights. (Got lucky enough to get the vin from the seller of the lights) I'm not sure what I'm missing..
I was following a different thread on how to do this. Person had a LCI Adaptive Xenon and apparently only needed to add two wires for pin 3 on R/L headlight. I believe I am prewired for pin 5 like in the other thread. When I pulled fuse 127, 108 (if I remember correctly) both headlights went out.

Anyway I ran the two wires, one from trunk fuse box, one from front junction box, I took the two pins out of the FRM on both connectors. (6 and 38)

So I only ran two like the guide I was following. I did not run 4 wires from the ZGW that I saw in the other posts on this thread.

After I wired everything up...
And here's where I realized I shouldn't have started this. (No coding experience..)
Anyway, open up Esys, (saved like every file 5 different times) VO code delete 524 add 552, then I went to VCM write fp, go back to coding and hit code on frm. (Did save svt backup before obviously since i don't know what I'm doing)

Aaand then plugged headlights in after reading vo codes to make sure adaptive led code is still there

Anyway, I'm not really sure how I got my headlights to turn on... but the angel eyes and drl turned on. I believe I hit "code" on both of the TMS modules..
Check ISTA, the CAFD files were added to the STMR and STML.

The actual headlights did not turn on though (low beam) I'm assuming because of the LHM ecus.

I'm now having an issue that I don't see my LHM ecu's... I did not "flash" my zgw ecu. (At this point things just got scary so I just stopped immediately...) I felt comfortable enough to edit the VO codes and that's about it, haha..
Can I contact anyone here through messages or telegram or something? Would be very grateful for some help.. in the mean time I will read more on how to use esys..
Both LHM modules are in tact and on the headlights
Please don't flame me, I already know I made a mistake, and at this point I'm going to have to get someone to do the coding for me, because I won't be able to... hopefully someone can tell me if I'm missing anything with wires, etc..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 02:25 AM   #83
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willywi View Post
I'm having a similar issue with retrofitting adaptive led headlight from halogen on an F25. Everything works except the adaptive function, not sure if that's due to not having ride height level sensor. I see few error codes in ISTA which are TMS left LIN and right LIN defective(805D04, 805E84), left LIN right LIN communication fault(800FC8, 800FC9). I'm also getting left side Daytime/Parking lamp malfunction in Idrive, I don't see any code related to left daytime/parking lamp in ISTA. However when I turn on low beam daytime/parking lamp malfunction goes away, it seems like the code only appears on Idrive when low beam is off(lamp position is in parking lamp or off). I have already purchased 2 left-side headlights assembly and tried 3 different TMS modules even swapping the one from the right side headlight they all have this daytime/parking lamp malfunction when the low beam is off so definitely not a hardware problem. Every light is functioning so not sure why it's throwing this code.
The adaptive error is definitely due to not having ride height sensors so I'll ignore that one as you know how to resolve that. The LIN bus issue looks interesting. In ISTA, are you able to see ALL 4 modules for the headlights in the ECU tree? (I'm suspecting LIN wiring issue as most obvious)
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 05:02 AM   #84
E92LeoZ
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 N54 335xi 6m

I am fairly certain that I have both pins 10 & 28 coming out of the ZGW connector. It was a tight fit underneath the dash but for sure took off plastic holder off connector and had pin 10 with 2 wires coming out and going to the lights. Didn't pop it off all the way but I'm sure pin 28 would've been the same. Do I have to flash ZGW in my case to get LHMR and LHML to pop up in ISTA or is this 100% a wiring issue and they should show regardless?

Edit: did not have wire 3 power in the fuse boxes correctly... shake my head...
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 05:11 PM   #85
willywi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The adaptive error is definitely due to not having ride height sensors so I'll ignore that one as you know how to resolve that. The LIN bus issue looks interesting. In ISTA, are you able to see ALL 4 modules for the headlights in the ECU tree? (I'm suspecting LIN wiring issue as most obvious)
Yes, I see all 4 modules and ISTA is able to initialize LED headlight successfully. I'm thinking it's the replacement FRM I bought that's causing this problem, the FRM I bought was from a 2017 halogen X3 not sure if it's capable of driving these LED headlights.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 11:54 PM   #86
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92LeoZ View Post
I am fairly certain that I have both pins 10 & 28 coming out of the ZGW connector. It was a tight fit underneath the dash but for sure took off plastic holder off connector and had pin 10 with 2 wires coming out and going to the lights. Didn't pop it off all the way but I'm sure pin 28 would've been the same. Do I have to flash ZGW in my case to get LHMR and LHML to pop up in ISTA or is this 100% a wiring issue and they should show regardless?

Edit: did not have wire 3 power in the fuse boxes correctly... shake my head...
So you got everything working now? 👍🏽
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 11:59 PM   #87
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, I see all 4 modules and ISTA is able to initialize LED headlight successfully. I'm thinking it's the replacement FRM I bought that's causing this problem, the FRM I bought was from a 2017 halogen X3 not sure if it's capable of driving these LED headlights.
So the other person on here had similar LIN bus issues. If I'm not mistaken, a new FRM did fix it as he tried his buddies FRM in the car that. Came factory with LED. That could indeed be your issue. FRMs are cheap on eBay so might as well try a different one
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 06:08 PM   #88
willywi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So the other person on here had similar LIN bus issues. If I'm not mistaken, a new FRM did fix it as he tried his buddies FRM in the car that. Came factory with LED. That could indeed be your issue. FRMs are cheap on eBay so might as well try a different one
Thanks, I think it's FRM issue too maybe halogen FRM does not support adaptive function and LIN bus on those FRM might have different signal compare to adaptive FRM. Two of the member on F25 forum that did adaptive led retrofit were using 5 series FRM with adaptive function and they all worked perfectly.
Appreciate 0