2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Help!: 2014 550i LED Adaptive LED Turn Signal, Parking Lights and Halos

07-21-2020, 08:53 AM   #1
HawaiianStig
Rep
Drives: 2014 MSport 550i Carbon Black

Help!: 2014 550i LED Adaptive LED Turn Signal, Parking Lights and Halos

Checking to see if anyone can assist with the following issue:

2014 550i with the LED Adaptive Headlights (Option 552), it is not a retrofit.

Had to replace the drivers headlight due to water damage. Kept getting Adaptive malfunction, Turn Signal Malfunction, etc. The only thing that actually still worked was headlights.

I bought a used headlight assembly, new Headlight module (TMS), new LED headlight cornering module and new Turn signal module.

Coded the new TMS in Esys and then used Ista+ to clear all the faults. The only error left now is "Turn Signal Malfunction".

When I try to "Learn in the LED's for the drivers side module. I get an "Aborted due to fault" error. I thought it could be the LED turn signal module so I bought a used OEM and I still have the same issue. Addtional faults that pop up after trying to do the "Learn In" is something about resistance error. So I was thinking that the car may not know that the turn signal module is LED? Not sure.

Also, the driver's light halos do not turn on. While doing some tests with ISTA+, they did turn on briefly, but have not turned on since. There is no error popping up about the Halos.

Not sure what to do anymore.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, before I take it to the dealer to see if they can do something.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 12:54 PM   #2
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

A few things to check:

1 - TMS module you bought, is it definitely FOR LED headlights? Im guessing this is the case since it got coded successfully but just wanted to clarify.

2 - Can you check the used headlight assembly TMS slot for any white/green residue on the pads? Might just be the used headlight also had water damage that corroded some of the pins inside the receptacle.

3 - Tried mix/match your original headlight assembly and newer TMS module, and vice versa?

I retrofitted the LEDs and the only error that I saw a couple times was turn signal but that had to do with FRM coding more than anything else.

Hope you can nail this down soon as I can understand how frustrating it can be when you drop a significant chunk of money on parts and they still don't work.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 02:16 PM   #3
HawaiianStig
Rep

1- The TMS module was the exact same part number as my original one. Ordered it from Lichtex DE as they have the OEM Hella modules.

2- I'll take a look at that. The one good thing is that I can remove the front bumper and the headlight in about 20 minutes now since I've done it so many times.

3- I've tried mixing and matching the turn signal modules, original, first replacement and second replacement and I get the same thing.

I shouldn't have to code my FRM since my car had all that as original equipment and the passenger side works perfectly.

I did order just a new Headlight Ballast module from ECS Tuning as I read that it controls the Halo's and that is the only part that I have not yet replaced. Maybe that module does something with the turn signals as well?

Will update when I get it installed.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 07:39 PM   #4
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep

The turn signal module is only an LED..that probably is fine. the fact that multiple turn signals aren't working most likely points to the TMS connection inside the headlight since that is the control module for the turn signals.

TMS controls Side lights, Daytime driving lights, Side marker light, Turn indicator and Accent light as per : https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ht2/1VnXhuvgOM
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 07:56 PM   #5
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep

any updates here, just curious
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 08:56 AM   #6
HawaiianStig
Rep

Unfortunately, no.

I still cannot get the drivers side turn signals, parking lights or halos working. It could be the used headlight I purchased.

So for now, I'm just living with it until I can purchase a new headlight assembly and then work form there.

Unless someone has the ability to jump on and check to make sure everything was coded correctly.

The only error I get from the car is that the turn signal error.
Appreciate 0