2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Run Flat to Conventional Tire Difficulty at Dealer

12-01-2015, 06:32 PM   #1
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Run Flat to Conventional Tire Difficulty at Dealer

Anyone ever have difficulty with your dealer when going from run flats to conventional tires?

Service advisor states not able to install conventional tires because car came with run flats. Parts department, however, states able to obtain and sell any tire that fits.

I'm trying to get wheel and tire insurance to replace bubbled run flats with conventional tires, but if I can’t get same now, I'll go through Tire Rack when wheel and tire insurance ends in a month.

Guess I'm wondering if there's any specific rule (BMW's own or otherwise) against dealers installing conventional tires on cars that came with run flats?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 06:57 PM   #2
snj1013
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Your car, tell them what you want and go elsewhere if they give you a line of crap.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 07:33 PM   #3
SonicEndeavor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj1013 View Post
Your car, tell them what you want and go elsewhere if they give you a line of crap.
+1
They want to sell you more expensive runflats. If the car is leased, technically you need to turn it in with runflats, but other than that they shouldn't have any issue with installing non-runflats.
You can usually get a better price from Tirerack and have the tires shipped to a local installer anyway (or even a local tire shop). Its best if the installer has a leverless tire machine so they don't scratch your rims.
      12-01-2015, 08:44 PM   #4
JamRWS6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Competition

My dealer has put a few sets of Pilot Super Sports on mine. Your tire warranty may have language that requires you to go with runflats but otherwise no reason they can't install non RFT.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 09:50 PM   #5
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj1013 View Post
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicEndeavor View Post
They want to sell you more expensive runflats. If the car is leased, technically you need to turn it in with runflats, but other than that they shouldn't have any issue with installing non-runflats.
You can usually get a better price from Tirerack and have the tires shipped to a local installer anyway (or even a local tire shop). Its best if the installer has a leverless tire machine so they don't scratch your rims.
Thanks as well. Yes, car is owned, so stuck with it! :|

Otherwise, yes, will use Tire Rack upon insurance expiration if insurance doesn't permit change at this time. Ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamRWS6 View Post
My dealer has put a few sets of Pilot Super Sports on mine. Your tire warranty may have language that requires you to go with runflats but otherwise no reason they can't install non RFT.
Hmm. Will have to look into this further!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 03:35 AM   #6
EZgo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Costco has a similar policy- no replacing RFT with conventional "because it's a safety issue." Whatever. However, in my case I talked with the manager and he did it anyway.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 04:17 AM   #7
Pavit
Private First Class
Mauritius
Rep
Drives: Bimmer Beauty

Garage List
So they don't sell M cars then since these don't come with runflats... Wonder if they do tell a potential M client that the car is not "safe" to drive...
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 10:41 AM   #8
4MULA_1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 550i

OP if your car is a lease and you plan on returning it after your term is up, then I'd recommend that you have the wheel and tire insurance replace them with another set of run flats.

Run flats are expensive compared to normal tires. I was just shopping for rears and if I'm going to put run flats just for the rear two its going to run me $900, if I put Michelin pilot super sports non run flats it'll run me $650 for both.

Point is, if you're returning the car you have to return it with the same type of tires that came on the car. If you don't like them still have the insurance swap them out for run flats and then take them off yourself. You could possibly even sell them for more than what non run flats will run you

Last edited by 4MULA_1; 12-03-2015 at 03:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 11:06 AM   #9
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Anyone ever have difficulty with your dealer when going from run flats to conventional tires?

Service advisor states not able to install conventional tires because car came with run flats. Parts department, however, states able to obtain and sell any tire that fits.

I'm trying to get wheel and tire insurance to replace bubbled run flats with conventional tires, but if I can’t get same now, I'll go through Tire Rack when wheel and tire insurance ends in a month.

Guess I'm wondering if there's any specific rule (BMW's own or otherwise) against dealers installing conventional tires on cars that came with run flats?

Thanks!
I suspect the dealer has constraints that tire shops or other garages might not. If you blow a tire at high speed with a run flat, you have a margin of safety that you wouldn't have with a non run flat tire. Imagine if the dealer swaps your run flats (original equipment) with non run flats and you blow one on the highway and roll your car. The first thing your estate will say is that the dealership is responsible because he altered your car from the manufacturer's spec and should have known better than to do that.

We are all "engineers" and "experts" here, but the truth is we are (most of us) just everyday enthusiasts who share an interest in our cars, but without technical knowledge. So we don't know what tuning has been done to the suspension and safety features of the car by BMW when they added run flats. We all just assume they put them on to save money and weight to improve fuel mileage, or for some other nefarious reason. Maybe the suspension will react differently in an extreme maneuver if the car is fitted with non run flats? I don't know the answer, but I remember watching an M5 video with the head developer from BMW answering journalists questions about why "this was done or that was done". It was clear that the engineer had reasons well above what the average enthusiast would contemplate.
      12-03-2015, 01:16 PM   #10
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

my dealer quoted me $500 for one tire on the front...i looked at him like he was on crack!

~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 03:20 PM   #11
VMRWheels
General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Quote:
This was my first thought. Other than that, I put non-RFTs on 5 Series all day! No issues. The ride will greatly improve when you put the non-RFTs on!
      12-03-2015, 08:42 PM   #12
JamRWS6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover432
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post

Thanks!
I suspect the dealer has constraints that tire shops or other garages might not. If you blow a tire at high speed with a run flat, you have a margin of safety that you wouldn't have with a non run flat tire. Imagine if the dealer swaps your run flats (original equipment) with non run flats and you blow one on the highway and roll your car. The first thing your estate will say is that the dealership is responsible because he altered your car from the manufacturer's spec and should have known better than to do that.

We are all "engineers" and "experts" here, but the truth is we are (most of us) just everyday enthusiasts who share an interest in our cars, but without technical knowledge. So we don't know what tuning has been done to the suspension and safety features of the car by BMW when they added run flats. We all just assume they put them on to save money and weight to improve fuel mileage, or for some other nefarious reason. Maybe the suspension will react differently in an extreme maneuver if the car is fitted with non run flats? I don't know the answer, but I remember watching an M5 video with the head developer from BMW answering journalists questions about why "this was done or that was done". It was clear that the engineer had reasons well above what the average enthusiast would contemplate.
On certain things like runflat tires about the only engineering decision made based upon that was the lack of spare tire with the car. I'd love to see a comparison on absolute pressure loss at highway speeds on run flat vs non run flat. My personal thought (like you mentioned I'm not an engineer) would be that the runflat doesn't really provide much added control. If you search for stability of non-RFT on a complete blowout I think you'll find the car is still plenty stable. Not trying to turn this into a run flat vs non rft convo; I still buy RFTs for my wife's BMW. Either way there isn't a valid reason that non RFTs couldn't be put on the OPs vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 11:50 PM   #13
Gilgorm
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 640i Xdrive GT

Quote:
I'd love to see a comparison on absolute pressure loss at highway speeds on run flat vs non run flat. My personal thought (like you mentioned I'm not an engineer) would be that the runflat doesn't really provide much added control. If you search for stability of non-RFT on a complete blowout I think you'll find the car is still plenty stable. Not trying to turn this into a run flat vs non rft convo;
I have had a complete pressure loss caused by a 3.5" spike in the centre of the tread. A non-runflat would have dropped to the ground. The runflat looked and rode just like it had before the spike. My only clue was my FTM went off. BMW Canada cheaped out and went with the Flat Tire Monitor instead of the much preferred TPMS. When the FTM went off the tire had 0 pressure. There was ample control. Not very scientific but pretty convincing to me.
2018 640ix GT; Alpine White, Blk Nappa, Piano; M-sport, Premium (Ceramic, SIRIUS, Soft-close, Vent/Massage Comfort seats, Surround, Sunshades, Parking Ass't), Advanced Driver Ass't (Lane keep, Steering/Lane control, Cross traffic, ACC with Stop/Go), Smartphone, Tint.
Retired: 78 300D, 81 300SD, 87 190E, 88 Porsche 924, 89 260E, 93 300E, 97 Volvo 850, 98 E320, 03 BMW 325iT, 02 C230 Sport Coupe, 08 BMW 535i, 12 BMW 535i X-drive
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 01:18 AM   #14
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover432 View Post

Thanks.

Also, willing to bet that when BMW CAFE tests their cars without spares, they run them with conventional tires, as run flats are heavy, and such weight is magnified due to its unsprung nature. Awful.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 12:14 PM   #15
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamRWS6
True, but, any tire insurer should be happy to allow the customer to switch since non rift tires can be patched for $12---opposed to requiring new rubber.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 01:57 PM   #16
bmwpassionate
Rep
Drives: BMW 535 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZgo View Post
Costco has a similar policy- no replacing RFT with conventional "because it's a safety issue." Whatever. However, in my case I talked with the manager and he did it anyway.
I did replace my RFTs with non-RFTs at Costco (USA) without any issue.. it might be specific to some warehouses i think..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 04:05 PM   #17
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwpassionate View Post
I did replace my RFTs with non-RFTs at Costco (USA) without any issue.. it might be specific to some warehouses i think..
What size tires were u able to get from them?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 11:27 PM   #18
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

After TREMENDOUS back and forth, got approval.

Insurance agreed to substitute Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 conventional tires for my Goodyear Excellence run flats, and dealer FINALLY agreed to order and install same.

Can't wait to experience the handling, comfort and winter performance (with xDrive) I should've had for the past 5 years.

Picking car up tomorrow. Will report back.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2015, 09:23 PM   #19
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

DAY AND NIGHT DIFFERENCE! FAR quieter, FAR smoother; immediately noticeable.

Known road imperfections and minor manholes now unnoticeable. Car absorbs all the way a full-sized luxury sedan should. I've driven in Comfort since new, which almost seems too soft now.

That said, not sure if it's the tires or because I returned a loaded 435i M Sport loaner [that I drove in Sport], but steering now seems a bit less precise. Not numb, not spongy, but less precise. Not wandering, but not sure how else to describe. Could this be because the tires aren't broken in yet? Can anyone confirm if this improves in a couple hundred miles?

In sum, happy for now!

Two more points:

Run flats are almost double the weight of conventional tires(!); upon new tire drop off, recouped one undamaged run flat, and the weight was surprising!

AND, saw a 435i Individual in the showroom and thought the leather weave on the doors was awesome; very Bottega Veneta!

Last edited by dbs600; 12-10-2015 at 01:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 12:57 AM   #20
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Also the new tires stick out past the wheels a bit more instead of wrapping them like a rubber band.

Should help protect against some cosmetic wheel damage.

After driving more, feel like my car is saying thanks after what was abuse by the run flats.

Last edited by dbs600; 12-07-2015 at 06:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 12:52 PM   #21
vlam
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZgo View Post
Really? Costco didn't say anything to me when I purchased a set of Pilot Super Sport from them.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 01:17 PM   #22
bmwpassionate
Rep
Drives: BMW 535 xDrive M Sport

Tire size

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
What size tires were u able to get from them?
Same size recommended on this vehicle by BMW

245/40/R19

I have XDrive so all same size on 4 wheels
Appreciate 0