2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Buying an F10. Advice needed

02-20-2017, 02:08 AM   #1
dmcsweeney
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 520d SE ED

Buying an F10. Advice needed

Hi all,

I'm currently considering buying a January 2013 520d SE auto with 43,000 miles and have a few questions you may be able to help with.
1. Was the timing chain issue largely cured by '13?
2. If not, would the chains have suffered significant wear by 43k if serviced to the BMW intervals?
3. What intervals should the car be serviced to? Oil, Fuel and air filters?
4. I've always maintained and repaired my own cars and have a large well equipped workshop, is there any difficulty in servicing the 520?
5. Tyres - run flat or non run flat?
6. Are they heavy on tyres?
7. Fuel economy? I have a 75 mile round trip to work, my X-Type averages 55-60 on this so I assume the 520 should do the same?
8. Is it possible to swap a standard nav for pro nav easily?
9. Any other problems I should look out for?

Thanks!
Dave
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 04:00 AM   #2
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

I personally hate the long service intervals that BMW (and others) use, and firmly believe that worn-out oil is largely responsible for the various timing chain problems that BMW have suffered. Over enough mileage and time, the oil fails to lubricate enough, and the chain wears.
My background for that is 16 years working for one of the oil majors in oil development, testing and degradation, and the BSc in Chemistry that got me the job, and the MSc that I got whilst in the job.
So my car gets an intermediate oil/filter change, roughly every 9k miles, halfway between the normal changes of 18k.

As to the car you're looking at, it's quite low mileage, so it's probably only had 2 oil changes (?).But it's not been running for loads of mileage with knackered oil.
I'd be willing to gamble on such a car. Get a couple of oil/filter changes done in the first 5k miles (draining the old stuff out of the sump, not pumping out via the dipstick), and then keep it on a 9k interval from then on.
So, oil and oil filter every 9k. Engine air filter is quite a long interval, I think, 40k or maybe even 60k.
Cabin pollen filter every 18k.
Fuel filter - no idea.
Tyre wear - well, it's a heavy car. Expect fronts to do 30-40k, backs to do 15-20k. But dependent on wheel size (big wheels and low-profile tyres = faster tyre wear) and how you drive, of course.

As to RFT / non-RFT, it's a personal decision. Depends on the wheels you've got (big wheels = harder ride with RFT, small wheels nowhere near so much a problem), and also whether you want to keep some measure of emergency mobility in the event of a puncture. The ability to get off a busy motorway and to a place of some safety should not be overlooked - a few people are killed every year on the hard shoulder.
I'd be surprised if you got 55-60 mpg. Probably more like 50, though if it's all motorways at gentle cruising speeds then you may end up beating that.

The one other consideration as to things to get done might be getting a gearbox oil change carried out - they are done far more commonly in the USA, where I believe ZF have recommended 80k (possibly a different number, can't remember) miles. But that's really a job for a proper garage - the oil has to be dialysis changed at the correct temp.
Appreciate 2
JLR19691877.00
Sp12348.50
      02-20-2017, 04:57 AM   #3
dmcsweeney
Enlisted Member
Rep

Robbie,

thanks very much for the information above. I agree with you 100% on the oil changes, and as I'd be carrying out the servicing myself would have no issue doing it at the lower figure. I usually check the air filter at each service and change it more frequently, especially in summer when it's exposed to dusty conditions. The tyre wear is in line with the X-type (except the other way around) so I'm happy with that. My tyre centre quoted me €145-180 per tyre for run flats (17" wheels), which is close enough to the €125-140 per tyre I pay on the X-type so I'd stick with the run flats. As you say, it's worth the price of not risking the hard shoulder! Most of my commute is on largely flat roads at a steady 80kph so it's prime fuel economy territory. before I started this commute the X-type used to only manage 42-44mpg. I'm assuming from your answer that the chains can still be an issue at this point in production? Also, one question I forgot to ask, and never check on a car, is the air intake still very low down and prone to taking a drink like the E60 was?
Thanks,
Dave
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 05:44 AM   #4
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

I've no idea on where the air intake is. I'd sincerely hope that all manufacturers had learnt those lessons and were positioning them higher up.

I also used to have an X-type, the 2.0d in our case, and we used to find the fuel economy a bit disappointing. 40mpg most of the time. However, when we took it for a long run up to Scotland it was doing 50-55. It really seemed to be setup for long cruises at steady speeds.

With the 520d the 8 speed auto at 80kph (50mph), if you put it into eco-pro then it'd be running at about 1200 rpm - and that'd be in 7th. You'd have to switch the gearlever over into sport mode and force it to use 8th, I'd guess. Barely ticking over, so running incredibly efficiently. So yes, if your commute is at that sort of speed then you'll get some spectacular economy.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 06:40 AM   #5
dmcsweeney
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks again. My first preference was a XF 2.2 but I've heard the economy is poor and prices for a good one seem to be significantly higher. A work colleague has offered me his 2014 XF but is reluctant to give me a price on it, instead looking for an offer. That would leave me having to sell the X-type. I'm assuming the 520d would be a big change from the X!
Regards,
Dave
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 02:46 PM   #6
Apples12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520D LCI auto

See if u can find an 08/13 onwards one - will be an LCI
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 01:41 AM   #7
dmcsweeney
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples12 View Post
See if u can find an 08/13 onwards one - will be an LCI
I certainly will. Going to take a look at the list of updates this morning.
Thanks,
Dave
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 03:14 AM   #8
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Cruising at 50 mph, your target of 55 - 60 should be attainable, if I had the restraint to stick to 50 mph I could probably manage that with the B47 engine, which is arguably less economical than the N47. As you would expect, the big killer for 520d economy is speeds above 60mph and hills, but if you're cruising at 50mph on the flat big mpg shouldn't be a problem.

I find Eco Pro does little to improve mpg, all it does is deaden throttle response even further and possibly reduce drain from air con, depending on how you've configured it. Gearing isn't affected and you'll see no drop in rpm. I used it a lot when I first got my 520d but seldom bother now because I've never seen any benefit.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 06:03 AM   #9
dmcsweeney
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
Cruising at 50 mph, your target of 55 - 60 should be attainable, if I had the restraint to stick to 50 mph I could probably manage that with the B47 engine, which is arguably less economical than the N47. As you would expect, the big killer for 520d economy is speeds above 60mph and hills, but if you're cruising at 50mph on the flat big mpg shouldn't be a problem.

I find Eco Pro does little to improve mpg, all it does is deaden throttle response even further and possibly reduce drain from air con, depending on how you've configured it. Gearing isn't affected and you'll see no drop in rpm. I used it a lot when I first got my 520d but seldom bother now because I've never seen any benefit.
Thanks for the advice. I think some of those modes are useless alright. My brother's '14 535d doesn't feel as quick in sport as it seems to hold the gears too long. One thing that really kills the X-type is the low 5th gear on the motorway (our limit is slightly higher at 120KPH). It sits at 2500 rpm. How's the 520 on the mway?

Thanks,
Dave
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 10:26 AM   #10
Apples12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520D LCI auto

I'm doing ~1100 miles a week in my 520D LCI auto - average MPG's calculated using the Drivvo app on android tank-tank is 49mpg... thats cruising at a gentle 70mph of course

eco-pro mode i find is a waste of time - as mentioned above, all it really seems to do is deaden the throttle response. keep it in comfort and go for it!

I'm not a fan of cruise control so i'm not sure if i could achieve better economy using it however its really a great car for commutes if your on the motorway.

I find it a little cumbersome around town but thats just my opinion
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 03:06 PM   #11
dmcsweeney
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples12 View Post
I'm doing ~1100 miles a week in my 520D LCI auto - average MPG's calculated using the Drivvo app on android tank-tank is 49mpg... thats cruising at a gentle 70mph of course

eco-pro mode i find is a waste of time - as mentioned above, all it really seems to do is deaden the throttle response. keep it in comfort and go for it!

I'm not a fan of cruise control so i'm not sure if i could achieve better economy using it however its really a great car for commutes if your on the motorway.

I find it a little cumbersome around town but thats just my opinion
To be fair I can't expect too much out of a car of its size. I was going to buy an XF 2.2, but I've been told the economy is poor. Sods law has taken over this evening. No sooner did I decide to trade in my X-type did the MIL light up. Spent the evening cleaning the egr, but to no avail. Must order a new one in the morning. The space in the X-type engine bay is really making me jelious of 5 series owners!! There's better access in there than my Rover 3500S!

Regards,
Dave
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 08:13 AM   #12
changed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 Msport

I get 40mpg out of mine around town on short journeys, on a trip with cruise at 70mph I get easy 55mpg.

Eco pro saves nothing if you drive carefully anyway
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 06:32 AM   #13
dmcsweeney
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by changed View Post
I get 40mpg out of mine around town on short journeys, on a trip with cruise at 70mph I get easy 55mpg.

Eco pro saves nothing if you drive carefully anyway
That is pretty much in line with the X-type so happy days!!

Any thoughts on Kashmir Silver as a colour?

Regards,
Dave
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 09:58 AM   #14
dmcsweeney
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi all,

one question I forgot to ask, is variable damper control an option or standard, and if so, do I need it? does it have any effect on safety? Also, apart from altering the gear changes, what else does the sport setting in the SE do? Finally, is stop start standard on a 2013 model?
Thanks,
Dave
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 10:26 AM   #15
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep

VDC is desirable rather than essential, it will give you the best of both worlds if you can't make up your mind between M Sport or Lux. I can't see it affecting safety?

Sport raises the auto box change points and sharpens throttle response. You will permanently drive round in a lower gear.

I imagine a 2013 will, my 2010 e90 did so I can't see that it won't. I always disable mind because I hate it stop / starting and can't help thinking it does more harm than good unless you're in a huge traffic jam. If you are it will probably disable itself anyway after a few uses because the voltage will drop.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 12:57 PM   #16
Fox530
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
VDC is desirable rather than essential, it will give you the best of both worlds if you can't make up your mind between M Sport or Lux. I can't see it affecting safety?
It really doesn't give you the best of both worlds. VDC is not a Sport Suspension substitute, it allows you to vary the damping performance. VDC fitted cars do not have sport springs and have a higher ride height than the M Sport models. A VDC fitted car in Sport mode does not handle like a car fitted with passive M Sport suspension.

If you want the best of both worlds you need the full Adaptive Drive option which combines VDC with Dynamic Drive, offering the hydraulic anti-rollbars which really transform the handling.

IMHO unless you are doing mostly Motorway cruising VDC is over-rated and the motoring presses obsession with VDC on F10's has always confused me.
      02-23-2017, 07:55 PM   #17
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep

I note you're planning on running 17" wheels so you'll have a fairly soft ride anyway. I'm on an 18" / rft (square) setup for winter and 19" / rft (staggered) for summer which can loosen fillings on rough roads, whereas the 18" are so much smoother, even though they're still rft. Although I like the security (although probably false) of rft tyres I'm seriously considering swapping to Goodyear A3 none rft (or similar) before I swap back to the 19" in a couple of months, which will probably save me a fortune in dental treatment
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 02:11 AM   #18
dmcsweeney
Enlisted Member
Rep

Gents,
thanks for all the information. Finally going to get to the dealers tomorrow to try and do a deal. The car is still on their website so I'm hoping it's still available. Unfortunately my X-type threw a spanner in the works last night. It was NCT'd (MOT) until the end of April but I decided to have it tested and trade it with a full 2 year test (cars under 10 years old are only tested every 2 years here). Everything was fine until the visual inspection when they found a small piece of broken coil in the front spring cup. Just hoping they'll be willing to do a deal on taking the car later next week fixed and tested.
Thanks,
Dave
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 02:27 AM   #19
dmcsweeney
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi all,
thanks again for all your input on this tread. Good news, I've got one. It's a 2013 520d SE ED Auto in Kashmir silver with oyster leather with 46k.

picture upload

Collecting it in the morning. Can't wait!!

Regards,
Dave
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 10:27 AM   #20
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcsweeney View Post
Hi all,
thanks again for all your input on this tread. Good news, I've got one. It's a 2013 520d SE ED Auto in Kashmir silver with oyster leather with 46k.

picture upload

Regards,
Dave
Well done!
Lovely car and colour and mileage!

You'll love it!!
F10 M Sport, Alpine White, Professional Navigation, Reverse Camera, Power Bootlid, Sports Paddle-Shift Gearbox, Sun Protection Pack, Xenon Headlights, High-Gloss Black Shadow Line, 351M Sport Wheels, M Sport Suspension Deletion. Model Designation Deletion. Black Dakota Leather. Winter Tyres.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 06:39 AM   #21
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcsweeney View Post
Hi all,

picture upload

Regards,
Dave
Car looks great Dave enjoy.
      03-06-2017, 02:01 AM   #22
dmcsweeney
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks guys! Delighted with the car so far. A few minor niggles that need attention but nothing serious. The commute to work this morning was a pleasure! I'll be back soon with lots of stupid questions!!
Regards,
Dave
Appreciate 0