2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 2016 528xi drivetrain malfunction

10-23-2018, 10:21 AM   #1
tanmaygarg
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW x3 m40i

2016 528xi drivetrain malfunction

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to put this out here to get some tips or suggestion on how to handle this.

I was on my way back from New Hampshire (around 350 miles from NJ) and all of a sudden my car started vibrating and stopped responding correctly when accelerated. I was driving at around 50-60 MPH. Then I got the famous drivetrain malfunction error.

Pulling over to the nearest gas station, I turned off the car, let it cool down, started again, and it was shaking at idle with RPM automatically jumping. I could smell something burning, so I checked and found my exhaust pipes to be carbon black. I did notice some shaking at idle a day earlier, but it went away after some time. Did anyone else ever face a similar issue?

I called BMW roadside assistance, and the rep. said that there were no technicians in and if I feel there is something really wrong, she can send the tow truck and get me a Lyft to the nearest car rental. Unluckily, as it was a Sunday, that was the only option. I was told that the reimbursement for rental can be considered on a case by case basis. They took it to the nearest service center, and I received a call Monday morning that they can't look at the car for a few days as they're occupied. Best they can do is try to check after a couple of days, but they can't assure me of anything.

BMW customer service told me as it is a trip interruption they can provide me rental reimbursement for only 5 days from the breakdown, and that also if it is covered under warranty. The service center might not even get a chance to look at it in that time frame, leave apart fixing the issue.

Any tips on what can be done? Turns out I cannot get a loaner as my car is in a service center miles away.

1. Is this covered under warranty or can there be some situations in which I have to pay for this?

2. How bad does it look? Should i have kept driving slowly and reached home safely?

3. Should I keep waiting patiently and maybe get my insurance company to cover for my rental until i hear from the service center?

Car details:
2016 BMW 528xi
32,000 miles
Leased with only 4 months left
Always put 93+ octane gas, rarely putting 91 when 93 is not available.

(Photos attached)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 01:14 AM   #2
NinetyEight740
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2 - 2013 535i msport

Garage List
2010 E91  [0.00]
Probably a failed fuel injector. Why is dealer not offering a loaner car?
Appreciate 0