2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions DIY: LCI IDrive Screen Trim

01-30-2015, 05:25 PM   #1
Toad535
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535 MSport

DIY: LCI IDrive Screen Trim

So I saw someone post that they swapped the LCI screen trim (part 65509301374) on their non-LCI car and, after driving an LCI X3 loaner, I liked the look enough to pay the $40 for the part. It was harder than I thought it would be, so thought I'd do a quick write up for anyone else interested...

1) In order to remove the trim, which turns out is clipped and screwed to the screen, you first need to remove the main dash trim panel. That was easily accomplished by opening the glove box and gently pulling on the lip above the door, starting at the passenger door side and working your way toward the start button. There are a half dozen clips across the width of it.

2) Move the trim out of the way. I found it easy enough to remove the harness to the start button then twist it of the way (was still connected to the climate control harness which I couldn't get loose - or didn't try very hard).

3) Remove the two torx screws (believe they were T25) at the bottom of either side of the screen.

4) Pull gently at the bottom of the screen to rotate towards the rear of the car. The top is held in by two metal arms that "wrap" around the top of the dash to hold it in (can be seen in below pictures). Be careful - this screen is expensive I left all the harnesses connected while I worked (sore back later that night), because I couldn't I didn't want to fuss with getting the harnesses disconnected (wasn't immediately obviously how to release them). Might not be a bad idea to put some soft material down in the opening to avoid scratching the screen.

5) Remove the 8 small torx screws (believe they were T10) that hold the trim to the screen. You first have to remove the black cover from the back which is held in by 3 screw, then you can access the other 2 on the top. There are also 2 on the back side, and 2 more that hold the LED on indicator in place. Note that there is no LED window on the new trim piece to hold it in place, so you won't be able to see it any longer (though not really sure what it's good for anyway ).

6) Unclip the four clips that hold the trim in place (green circles). Two on top, two on bottom.

7) Put everything back together (less the LED - you'll be left with a back cover to the LED and two screws

8) Profit.

Appreciate 1
khanyam4801.50
      02-03-2015, 09:48 AM   #2
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Thanks OP for sharing.
Each to their own as I prefer pre-LCI CID trim.
      05-10-2015, 09:16 PM   #3
spyroz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW f10 550i ///M Sport

nicely done, i'm thinking of doing it the same... so you did all that with out disconnecting the hardness from the LCD screen? from a scale 1-10, how hard was it? It look simple enough though.
      08-27-2015, 07:15 AM   #4
mnms
Registered
France
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 530D ///M

Thanks for sharing.

I tried to change my lcd trim so I've bought the LCI trim.

But when I unmounted old trim, I found that the new one does not fit at all.
Screws and clips are completely different.

Here some pictures:

So, get back to the old trim.

Last edited by mnms; 08-30-2015 at 04:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 01:19 PM   #5
avd3k
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

My guess is that only 2013+ can use new trim since they already have NBT iDrive, 2012 and earlier have CIC iDrive hence difference in screen/trim assembly.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 02:10 AM   #6
cedchung
Lieutenant
Mauritius
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25, 2014 F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by avd3k View Post
My guess is that only 2013+ can use new trim since they already have NBT iDrive, 2012 and earlier have CIC iDrive hence difference in screen/trim assembly.
The OP has CIC
      03-04-2016, 03:14 AM   #7
mnms
Registered
France
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 530D ///M

Yes he may have a CIC but one with a screen built after 07/2013.

This is the screen before 07/2013:

And this is the on after 07/2013:

So this DIY is only for those after 07/2013.

I you have a 10" screen built before 07/2013 (like me), you can't do this retrofit, or you have to change screen
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 02:21 AM   #8
dsolis88
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i Space Grey

Will mounting an LCI screen with the trim work or would it require other modules plus coding?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 11:24 AM   #9
TurboLlew
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 (F90) | Alfa Romeo 4C

Apologies for the blast from the past but I thought I would post here since this post helped me do the LCI trim retrofit on the CID on my 2012 F10 M5.

I have a screen built in 2012 (delivered Nov 2012), equipped with NBT so the date range in the above post is not necessarily correct. It is worth having a look at the screen to confirm this and not to give up if you have a pre-2013 vehicle. I guess this might be a quirk of South African (or perhaps all RHD?) cars.

I wrote something on the South African forum which I am posting here in part:

Here is a quick DIY on the CID Surround LCI replacement

What you need:

Thick Cloths/Microfibres to protect surfaces. I chose not to fully remove the dash trim and didn't remove the screen. It really is simply enough that you don't need to bother and I was confident enough in the method since I had already checked out the screen.

T8 driver (3x T8 screws will be removed)
T20 driver (2x T20 fasteners hold the screen into the dash)

Trim Part number: 65 50 9 301 374

Duration: 10-15 minutes provided the tools are available

The box looks very big considering the relatively small and flat item in it. There is also an anti-static bag that the surround comes in.

Take note of this pattern... if you have the 10.25" screen and it has this pattern, you will likely be able to do the upgrade. If it doesn't have the "o" in the "x" then you won't be able to. You can check this without removing the CID.

This is the pre-LCI CID surround. Note the surface immediately adjacent to the screen is flat.

Removing the silver fascia trim is actually really simple. I used a plastic removal tool the first time, but just my fingers this time round. It just pulls forward. Just take care when doing it. If you have ever removed any kind of trim before this is a piece of cake. The harnesses for the starter button and lock/hazard button are long enough that you can work comfortably without removing them.

You will need to remove the two T20 torx fasteners immediately underneath the screen. PLEASE take care if your tool is not magnetised or else you will need a telescopic magnetic tool to retrieve this from next to the NBT Unit (if you're lucky)

The screen pulls away easily and again there is plenty of give in the harness to work very comfortably with the tools above.

There are three small T8 screws that need to be removed.

Remove the four clips and the screen will come away easily. Take care to support it and make sure you have plenty of soft things for it to sit on!

Looking at the two side by side the differences are apparent

Install the surround starting with the top and make 100% sure that there is nothing catching (e.g. there are some slits on the side that might need a bit of massaging. Again, if you have ever worked with plastic parts you know to be careful around these things before applying pressure or massaging clips.

Reinstall the three T8 screws and push the screen into place in the dash. I don't think they are different, but I kept the two marked in ink for the edges and plain one on the top as I found them.

Reinstall the T20 fasteners and clip in the dashboard trim, taking care to align the air vents and ensure the harnesses are routed well.

Behold the surround that somehow makes the screen look a bit bigger (my opinion) and cabin a bit fresher

In my case the screen fitted absolutely perfectly. My car has a 2012 production date and so do most of the components that I saw as part of this exercise.

Up next: Touch iDrive retrofit... package is currently in London. Hoping Aramex works out!

Last edited by TurboLlew; 02-02-2018 at 09:07 AM..
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2019, 11:49 PM   #10
jonobro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw f10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9000rpm View Post
Apologies for the blast from the past but I thought I would post here since this post helped me do the LCI trim retrofit on the CID on my 2012 F10 M5.

I have a screen built in 2012 (delivered Nov 2012), equipped with NBT so the date range in the above post is not necessarily correct. It is worth having a look at the screen to confirm this and not to give up if you have a pre-2013 vehicle. I guess this might be a quirk of South African (or perhaps all RHD?) cars.

I wrote something on the South African forum which I am posting here in part:

Here is a quick DIY on the CID Surround LCI replacement

What you need:

Thick Cloths/Microfibres to protect surfaces. I chose not to fully remove the dash trim and didn't remove the screen. It really is simply enough that you don't need to bother and I was confident enough in the method since I had already checked out the screen.

T8 driver (3x T8 screws will be removed)
T20 driver (2x T20 fasteners hold the screen into the dash)

Trim Part number: 65 50 9 301 374

Duration: 10-15 minutes provided the tools are available

The box looks very big considering the relatively small and flat item in it. There is also an anti-static bag that the surround comes in.

Take note of this pattern... if you have the 10.25" screen and it has this pattern, you will likely be able to do the upgrade. If it doesn't have the "o" in the "x" then you won't be able to. You can check this without removing the CID.

This is the pre-LCI CID surround. Note the surface immediately adjacent to the screen is flat.

Removing the silver fascia trim is actually really simple. I used a plastic removal tool the first time, but just my fingers this time round. It just pulls forward. Just take care when doing it. If you have ever removed any kind of trim before this is a piece of cake. The harnesses for the starter button and lock/hazard button are long enough that you can work comfortably without removing them.

You will need to remove the two T20 torx fasteners immediately underneath the screen. PLEASE take care if your tool is not magnetised or else you will need a telescopic magnetic tool to retrieve this from next to the NBT Unit (if you're lucky)

The screen pulls away easily and again there is plenty of give in the harness to work very comfortably with the tools above.

There are three small T8 screws that need to be removed.

Remove the four clips and the screen will come away easily. Take care to support it and make sure you have plenty of soft things for it to sit on!

Looking at the two side by side the differences are apparent

Install the surround starting with the top and make 100% sure that there is nothing catching (e.g. there are some slits on the side that might need a bit of massaging. Again, if you have ever worked with plastic parts you know to be careful around these things before applying pressure or massaging clips.

Reinstall the three T8 screws and push the screen into place in the dash. I don't think they are different, but I kept the two marked in ink for the edges and plain one on the top as I found them.

Reinstall the T20 fasteners and clip in the dashboard trim, taking care to align the air vents and ensure the harnesses are routed well.

Behold the surround that somehow makes the screen look a bit bigger (my opinion) and cabin a bit fresher

In my case the screen fitted absolutely perfectly. My car has a 2012 production date and so do most of the components that I saw as part of this exercise.

Up next: Touch iDrive retrofit... package is currently in London. Hoping Aramex works out!
Do you have part number to that touch iDrive?
Appreciate 0