2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums USA - NY/NJ/PA/CT Drivetrain Malfunction

07-18-2019, 09:49 AM   #1
jbdawhizkid
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 528i xDrive

Drivetrain Malfunction

Need help!!!

Since 15-June, about every two weeks, I will get a "drivetrain malfunction, drive moderately consult service center" message.

I turn my engine off and restart the engine after 5mins and everything appears to be fine.

I have reviewed the following:

Acceleration: no problem with speed or passing cars.

Engine: engine doesnt idle roughly or shut off prematurely nor have issues starting the car.

Service: I service my car every 6000 miles. Last time it was service was 08-June.

I took my car into the BMW service in Portchester and they ran diagnostics, in which they couldn't find any issues. They ask me if I had recently filled my tank and I acknowledge so as I did fill my tank the previous day.

I was filling my tank with Gulf premium gas and change from Gulf to Mobil to Shell V-Nitro premium b/c Gulf is not a top-tier gas provider.

I got the error with the Mobil and V-Nitro Shell gas.

Do you think that gas can cause the drivetrain. Malfunction issue?

Only reason I'm asking is because I filled my tank this morning (7/18) and the error appeared again.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 12:38 PM   #2
RMNB
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 440xi CPE BSM

How many miles on your car? Mine did this several times however it was simply Coils and/or spark plugs. Oh yeah, and the HPFP went bad. And the fuel injectors are horrible.

Basically the N63 is a horrible designed engine. The issues are countless really hence the extensive Service Bulletin list of items they will replace for free. Take it to the dealer , see the Drivetrain Malfunction points to as far as what code pops up. My guess is good are yours as but lets just hope it's one of the culprits on the bmw bulletin.

Other than that what other symptoms or issues have you run in to?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 06:52 AM   #3
NYC535iowner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i X-drive

i was having the "DRIVETRAIN MALFUNCTION" message since last year. it was happening to me while I drive in sport in the highway and I felt the car get heavy and the message will come on.
I took it to the mechanic and it happened to be the Turbo Solenoid that was getting confused telling the computer high pressure/ low pressure at the same time.
try that.

One thing that happened to me was that I turned off the car and when I took it to the mechanic they couldn't find the message or the problem. Make sure that when you get the message try to get it scanned when the message is on, because it you turn off the car they wont be able to find it.

good luck.

PS: my car is a 2013 535I.
      08-05-2019, 12:28 PM   #4
exclusivo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: race car

It could be a bunch of things, you would need to check your codes. This happened to me about a month ago; I had two pages of codes; took it to motorcepts and they could not find the issue, they tried resetting something to do with the vanos and gave it back to me. Same thing happened again, and I took it back. while they were diagnosing further, they found a corroded wire by the firewall going back to the ECU; once they fixed the wire, car has been solid.