2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions Carbon fiber mirror covers installation on 535 F10

08-28-2019, 03:58 PM   #111
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by super51fan View Post
If they made them for these mirrors I could have purchased them lol
They do though, search ebay for "bmw f10 carbon fiber side mirror" and you'll get tons of M4 style mirror caps.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 04:40 PM   #112
super51fan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
They do though, search ebay for "bmw f10 carbon fiber side mirror" and you'll get tons of M4 style mirror caps.
I will give you a $50 finders fee if you find a set that fits my mirrors, I would be ecstatic
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 08:31 AM   #113
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I will give you a $50 finders fee if you find a set that fits my mirrors, I would be ecstatic
Here ya go! I'm assuming its a pre-LCI F10?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-BMW-F10...cAAOSwIoNdIu0w
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 09:42 AM   #114
super51fan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Here ya go! I'm assuming its a pre-LCI F10?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-BMW-F10...cAAOSwIoNdIu0w
Those wont fit, my pre lci has the 2 piece housing design, notice how the top is separate from the bottom in my earlier pic

https://cdn.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...1&d=1566528475
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 09:52 AM   #115
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Those wont fit, my pre lci has the 2 piece housing design, notice how the top is separate from the bottom in my earlier pic

https://cdn.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...1&d=1566528475
Is the bottom half of the 2 piece removable? It looks like the one I linked either replaces the bottom half as well (turning it into a one piece), or covers the bottom half.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 11:22 AM   #116
super51fan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Is the bottom half of the 2 piece removable? It looks like the one I linked either replaces the bottom half as well (turning it into a one piece), or covers the bottom half.
Yes but the ones you linked don't mount the same to the mirror surround, I purchased a pair already and can confirm they will take a lot of work to fit correctly and with keeping the surround view camera
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 01:35 PM   #117
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes but the ones you linked don't mount the same to the mirror surround, I purchased a pair already and can confirm they will take a lot of work to fit correctly and with keeping the surround view camera
Damn, that's a bummer
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 07:27 PM   #118
ThaiBruin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-Sport

Got the real CF mirrors today (pretty fast!) and this is SIGNIFICANTLY nicer than the fake CF one. Of course, this should be expected if they cost twice as much. Bonus is that the CF wraps around nicely to the back of the "wing". Installed them last night and the fit is great. I like the shape of these more too.
Attached Images

09-09-2019, 10:34 PM   #119
ey2001
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 535i 6spd

Here is mine.... I just have the worst luck with fake aftermarket parts... I usually try to avoid ebay parts but wanted to try since it was only $50...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 10:36 PM   #120
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ey2001 View Post
Here is mine.... I just have the worst luck with fake aftermarket parts... I usually try to avoid ebay parts but wanted to try since it was only $50...
Is that the all black version?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 10:36 PM   #121
ey2001
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Quote:
Is that the all black version?
Yup lci glossy black
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 10:37 PM   #122
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yup lci glossy black
Have you installed them yet?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 10:39 PM   #123
ey2001
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Quote:
Yup lci glossy black
Have you installed them yet?
Nope.... got discouraged when I saw it... I know it will bug me so didn't mount it yet.. but I should try... if the fitment is good maybe I could get it redone
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 08:26 AM   #124
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Nope.... got discouraged when I saw it... I know it will bug me so didn't mount it yet.. but I should try... if the fitment is good maybe I could get it redone
Who'd you buy it from? I'd complain and try to get an exchange. Make sure to insist that they pay for shipping since it's not your fault the part has blemishes
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 08:51 AM   #125
ey2001
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Who'd you buy it from? I'd complain and try to get an exchange. Make sure to insist that they pay for shipping since it's not your fault the part has blemishes
Yea... I'll open a return ticket...

Guys avoid buying from this seller...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F133048676504
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 10:08 AM   #126
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yea... I'll open a return ticket...

Guys avoid buying from this seller...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F133048676504
Doesn't matter who you buy the fake 50 dollar ones from. They all sell the same stock from the same warehouse.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 05:55 PM   #127
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I will say that the only thing I don't like about these mirror covers and I thought I would get use to it by now but it creates a blind spot between the mirror and the pillar. usually going around round-abouts and making right turns with islands. maybe it's just me but I use that small space to judge how far the curb is or what's there when turning. the way I took the picture is what I see so I tried to take the picture as a POV

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 09-12-2019 at 07:29 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2019, 06:42 PM   #128
MaximumFreckles
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i Msport

I received mine finally and got them installed. The finish on mine was excellent, and the fit was perfect. but as I previously mentioned I was waffling on whether I should get black or carbon fiber. judging from other pictures I'm glad I didn't order there black but I'm not happy with the carbon fiber. The reason for that is that I have the dark gray and in the sunlight it's just enough different to make it look a little awkward. I'm sure on any other color it works fine but I'm just OCD enough that it bothers me LOL. that being said I'm going to order some 3M wrap in gloss black and just change it that way. I'll post pictures when I can, but I would totally recommend this to anybody.
      09-12-2019, 07:35 PM   #129
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumFreckles View Post
I received mine finally and got them installed. The finish on mine was excellent, and the fit was perfect. but as I previously mentioned I was waffling on whether I should get black or carbon fiber. judging from other pictures I'm glad I didn't order there black but I'm not happy with the carbon fiber. The reason for that is that I have the dark gray and in the sunlight it's just enough different to make it look a little awkward. I'm sure on any other color it works fine but I'm just OCD enough that it bothers me LOL. that being said I'm going to order some 3M wrap in gloss black and just change it that way. I'll post pictures when I can, but I would totally recommend this to anybody.
so I have a lot of carbon fiber components on my car. I looked at it again after you said the dark gray in the sunlight makes it different. I haven't noticed it on my Jetblack. the color and pattern for me still flows nicely with all the othe components. if it was off I would notice it immediately. but than again I can only speak of carbon fiber with Jetblack
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 05:49 PM   #130
ThaiBruin
Captain
United_States
Rep

Anyone in the Los Angeles area interested in the set I originally got for $40? It was on my car for no more than 2 or 3 days. $20 picked up. I don't have time to deal with shipping.

Also, having these mirrors made me feel like I needed to have some CF on the front of the car too. So I got some CF splitters. Hard to see on a carbon black car, but I like that it's more subtle.
Attached Images

09-18-2019, 08:16 PM   #131
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaiBruin View Post
Anyone in the Los Angeles area interested in the set I originally got for $40? It was on my car for no more than 2 or 3 days. $20 picked up. I don't have time to deal with shipping.

Also, having these mirrors made me feel like I needed to have some CF on the front of the car too. So I got some CF splitters. Hard to see on a carbon black car, but I like that it's more subtle.
Those splitters always bothered me. They're the top half of the M-Sport style front lip, it just doesn't have the actual lip part.

I purchased the same mirror caps as you. Arrived today, went to install them. Returning them as there are some issues with them.

1. They're almost double the thickness of the OEM ones. This causes them to not sit flush at the bottom.

It's the same thing on both sides. I've really tried pushing them in, but it's not happening.

2. Tabs were broken upon arrival. This is the main reason I'm returning them (also happens to get me free return shipping since it was DOA, which is a nice bonus), as I think the missing tabs are contributing to the sticking out of the bottom half. If you look closely, you can see that the OEM cap has two "fingers" that hook onto a metal tab on the mirror assembly. Both caps that I received had their tabs... cut off it seems? Or they sent me returned product that had the tabs broken during someone else's install... wouldn't be surprised.

Might have to start looking at more expensive sellers since I'm a tad picky about fitment. For what it's worth, looking at them from the front reaffirmed that these style caps are a must for me. The stock mirror caps make the mirrors look tiny in relation to the car. These really bulk them up a bit
Attached Images

Last edited by Unspec; 09-19-2019 at 09:21 AM.. Reason: Attached photos instead of using links
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 09:58 PM   #132
ThaiBruin
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Those splitters always bothered me. They're the top half of the M-Sport style front lip, it just doesn't have the actual lip part.

I purchased the same mirror caps as you. Arrived today, went to install them. Returning them as there are some issues with them.

1. They're almost double the thickness of the OEM ones. This causes them to not sit flush at the bottom.

[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Cb...k=w574-h765-no[/IMG]

[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/rG...8=w574-h765-no[/IMG]

It's the same thing on both sides. I've really tried pushing them in, but it's not happening.

2. Tabs were broken upon arrival. This is the main reason I'm returning them (also happens to get me free return shipping since it was DOA, which is a nice bonus), as I think the missing tabs are contributing to the sticking out of the bottom half. If you look closely, you can see that the OEM cap has two "fingers" that hook onto a metal tab on the mirror assembly. Both caps that I received had their tabs... cut off it seems? Or they sent me returned product that had the tabs broken during someone else's install... wouldn't be surprised.

[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/WS...=w1021-h765-no[/IMG]

Might have to start looking at more expensive sellers since I'm a tad picky about fitment. For what it's worth, looking at them from the front reaffirmed that these style caps are a must for me. The stock mirror caps make the mirrors look tiny in relation to the car. These really bulk them up a bit
Quote:
Quote:

[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Cb...k=w574-h765-no[/IMG]

[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/rG...8=w574-h765-no[/IMG]

[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/WS...=w1021-h765-no[/IMG]

I think your pic links are broken.

I hear you on the splitters, it's not a full front lip, but more "accents" go on the m sport bumper. I personally like the look and had similar splitters on my F30. it's subtle, which is what I wanted.

I didn't notice any fitment issues on my real CF mirrors and none of the tabs were broken. Once your pics are fixed, I'll compare it to mine. I'm not as picky about perfect fitment, especially on things I can easily take off.