2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK 520D spec: LED frt indicators & headlamp wash?

03-17-2011, 03:40 AM   #1
Z4C_luvver
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Phoenix Yellow Z4C

520D spec: LED frt indicators & headlamp wash?

Hi out there.

Is the headlamp washer system standard on a 520D?

Also, I saw how someone put LED units into their indicator housings to replace the incandescent bulb, but looking at various 520's on the web, it doesn't seem clear whether LED is standard or an option in the UK.

Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 03:53 AM   #2
Adiparker
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M Sport alpine white

It's not standard, like everything, it is an option that no salesperson tells you about in full.

Crap angel eyes and yellow indicators with NO washers is standard.

Good angel eyes, LED indicators and washers are all in the xenon setup.

Don't be a dingbat like me, get the xenons !!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 04:28 AM   #3
Z4C_luvver
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for that. Aaah, too late for me. Mine's already half way down the line, I'm guessing.

Oh well, it's aftermarket bulbs for me!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 03:01 PM   #4
andyk500
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d M sport Carbon Black

Visibility pack with xenons and all the other toys is awesome, I like the hi-beam assist best, no need to flick the dip/main beam switch on dark roads. So glad I included it.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 03:45 PM   #5
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyk500 View Post
Visibility pack with xenons and all the other toys is awesome, I like the hi-beam assist best, no need to flick the dip/main beam switch on dark roads. So glad I included it.
Yes, the auto-dip is very handy, but what really shines, so to speak, are the swivelling headlights. Up here in Scotland we're blessed with miles of unlit twisty country roads; it's fantastic to see around the corners before you get there - night driving is a real pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 06:18 AM   #6
Z4C_luvver
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

So guys, tell me, what's the difference between crap and great angel eyes? A blue/white bulb? A LED bulb?

Is it just a bulb change or are there fundamental differences in the halo units?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 08:28 AM   #7
Adiparker
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

BIG difference in the entire unit !

The xenon setup has brilliant White angel eyes that are used as daytime driving lights ( light setting in the OFF position ).

You don't get this with the halogens. When the lights are in the OFF position, you don't get ANY daytime driving lights. The only way you can light up the angel eyes ( which are half brightness on halogen setup ) is to turn the sidelights on or the auto lights, but I assure you, the halogen angel eyes are rubbish until it is nearly night time !!

I wasn't made aware of this in any showroom i visited before buying the car and to be honest, I'm not very happy about it. You don't see Audi's driving around with half the brighness LED's on the front, it's their trademark, and the angel eyes are supposed to be BMW's trademark.

Big mistake from BMW.

Apart from the lights though, I absolutely love the car from top to toe. It's far better than the E92 that I have just got rid of. ( which had xenon angel eyes !!! )
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 08:32 AM   #8
Adiparker
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Sorry, to answer your question,

The crap angel eyes are White LED but not very bright.
Not sure if xenons are xenon or LED but they are really really bright.

I don't think you can simply change the bulb, I think it would be a complete headlamp change, and they are not cheap !!!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 08:39 AM   #9
Matt01
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d Lux

I've seen other posts that talk of all sorts of error codes and melted plastics... I'm not sure what oem parts exist and how easily you could change the whole headlight cluster...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 08:55 AM   #10
335dxd
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: F31 335d Msport

[QUOTE=Adiparker;9155872]BIG difference in the entire unit !

. You don't see Audi's driving around with half the brighness LED's on the front, it's their trademark, and the angel eyes are supposed to be BMW's trademark.

Big mistake from BMW.

....erm actually you do...those chavvy LED running strips on Audis only come if you tick the Xenon box. If you dont you get 'yellow' halogen strips or bulb.

So exactly as the BMW......not a big mistake from BMW but I will agree with you that their options are quite confusing to decipher at times.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 08:56 AM   #11
cliveywolves
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e M Sport Plus Edition 2020

Yep you need to be carefull with error codes and idrive displaying faults when you change bulbs, Had this a lot of times with my previous X5, more than happy with my F10 though,

I didnt have xenons this time as i bought a 5 month old ex demo that was very well spec'd up but no xenons and decided to save £10000 on buying a brand new one..The halo rings are a lot brighter white than on my previous X5 or the 3 Series loaner i had yesterday...

Last edited by cliveywolves; 03-18-2011 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: text
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 05:50 AM   #12
Z4C_luvver
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Here are a few photos of the arse end of a light unit. I'm guessing the hatch for the Angel Eye light units is the oval-ish one at the bottom.

If you look in the 2nd and 3rd photos and look past the main reflector towards the 'front' of the light unit, it looks like you can see the base of the AE units (the white 'L' shaped item). In the 3rd photo there seems to be wires inside the block that the oval port covers.

Has anyone removed this cover and peered inside?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 01:59 PM   #13
sundance
Total Newbie
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 520d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
I've seen other posts that talk of all sorts of error codes and melted plastics... I'm not sure what oem parts exist and how easily you could change the whole headlight cluster...
On a slightly different off-topic tangent , I like many others have the (crap) halogen lights. I recently replaced all 4 bulbs for dip and main beam with Osram Nightbreaker Plus bulbs (H7 55w) - there is a definite difference with these bulbs!

Night time driving is much better - but nowhere near as good as with Xenons. Still for £15 a pair you can't go wrong. A mere £30 sorts out the dipped and main beams with no danger of error codes or melted plastics.

By the way, the standard OEM dipped/main bulbs are Osram (but *not* Nightbreaker Plus), the Nightbreaker Plus bulbs give a much whiter light (and are less embarrassing, lol).
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #14
cliveywolves
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundance View Post
On a slightly different off-topic tangent , I like many others have the (crap) halogen lights. I recently replaced all 4 bulbs for dip and main beam with Osram Nightbreaker Plus bulbs (H7 55w) - there is a definite difference with these bulbs!

Night time driving is much better - but nowhere near as good as with Xenons. Still for £15 a pair you can't go wrong. A mere £30 sorts out the dipped and main beams with no danger of error codes or melted plastics.

By the way, the standard OEM dipped/main bulbs are Osram (but *not* Nightbreaker Plus), the Nightbreaker Plus bulbs give a much whiter light (and are less embarrassing, lol).
Hi ,

Easy to change bulbs on your F10 ? It was a mare on my previous X5 E70 used to rip your hands to bits , I think I'll give these a go for £30.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 04:16 AM   #15
sunnyUK
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 520d

so how easy is it to change the bulbs? Looks like you have to get at them through the wheel arch - looking at the manual
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 04:07 PM   #16
sundance
Total Newbie
United Kingdom
Rep

Absolute fooking nightmare to replace the bulbs, especially the dipped beams. And yes, they are accessed through the wheel arches.

Still a worthwhile mod to do though...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 03:44 AM   #17
cliveywolves
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Absolute fooking nightmare to replace the bulbs, especially the dipped beams. And yes, they are accessed through the wheel arches.

hA hA... knew it would be all new BMW's are a nightmare

how long did it take you to change them all ??
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 03:28 PM   #18
sundance
Total Newbie
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveywolves View Post
Quote:

hA hA... knew it would be all new BMW's are a nightmare

how long did it take you to change them all ??
About an hour of frustration and grazing knuckles. I am sure the main dealers have special tools for this, or maybe they just have the 'knack'...
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 07:49 PM   #19
smanoj77
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw m240i

Does anyone know if it is possible to retro fit a xenon unit onto a car which came out with halogen from the factory
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 03:00 AM   #20
Adiparker
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

+1

I want to know too !!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 12:39 AM   #21
sundance
Total Newbie
United Kingdom
Rep

In the UK I believe if you retrofit Xenons you need to have a self leveling mechanism and wash wipers for the lights themselves.

Lots of discussion on pistonheads forums about this.

Police are cracking down on 'aftermarket' HID kits as well so some of their legality is being drawn into question.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 09:11 AM   #22
Adiparker
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Can you not just buy the official xenon full headlamps from BMW and fit them in place of halogens ?
Appreciate 0