2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes 535i xdrive rear end clunk?

03-13-2019, 08:56 AM   #1
baconbits
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i xDrive M-Sport

535i xdrive rear end clunk?

4/2012 build date on my 89k mile 535i xdrive with M-sport package. I know that only gives me some of the suspension stuff because it's xdrive but I'm not too sure on what.

Probably unrelated, but I picked my car up from a body shop 3 weeks ago after being the victim of a hit and run in a parking lot. Rear bumper, some large plastic support bracket under the tail light, and the tail light came out to PDR it before filler and paint. The work appears to be done properly so I doubt it was the shop but I thought I'd mention it.

Last week when leaving my work parking lot (under 5mph) not more than 20 feet out of my parking space, I heard something between a loud clunk and a bang that sounded like spring bind or something... it was kind of like the noise strut mounts/top hats make on McPherson strut front ends make when the mounts are worn. If you can imagine the noise of a car hitting orange barrels in a movie, something like that. I stopped and put it in park and checked to see if I hit anything (no) or if something was under my car or in the wheel wells (no) before driving home. Ever since then, I've got this mind numbingly frustrating rear end noise when going over any sort of bump under 20mph.

It happens to varying degrees... small noise just as I pull away from park or a stop but louder/larger noises when I encounter bumps or dips in the road. It seems to happen more with dips but pulling away on flat ground, it happens too.

I haven't had the car in the air yet but looking underneath the back, it all looks fine... roll bar bushings intact, end links look okay, no visibly torn bushings or ball joint boots, etc. The gap between the wheel and fender in the rear seems to be the same side to side so I don't think I broke a spring.

Google only returned results for the M5 "recall" for the helper springs in the front but the noises they were reporting were similar to mine.

Any ideas? First time BMW owner here so I'm not too keen on the common failure points yet other than oil filter housing and valve cover gaskets.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 09:41 AM   #2
baconbits
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i xDrive M-Sport

Tried lubing the rear sway bar bushings to no avail - still had the noise.

Finally had an opening to put it on a 2 post lift and discovered the issue. Turns out the banging noise I heard was roughly 3/4 of a coil on the bottom of the driver rear spring breaking, and the creaking/clunking I've been hearing are the two broken ends rubbing together.

Apparently I can get H&R or Eibach lowering springs for the same price as two rear replacements but paying the additional labor and alignment to lower it is not something I really want to do right now. I like the car where it's at, stock ride height, because it's everything my previous boy racer Subaru wasn't.
Appreciate 0