2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Help: How to completely disassemble rear calipers with electronic parking brake?

05-21-2019, 09:11 AM   #1
Bozman52
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Help: How to completely disassemble rear calipers with electronic parking brake?

I'm planning to upgrade my braking system to the larger European 550i spec brakes front and rear. I bought the rear calipers on ebay and plan to powdercoat and rebuild them before installing. However, I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into how to properly remove the electronic parking brake system on the caliper side. I've removed the plastic parking brake housing, but there is this metal disc underneath it, that's opposite the caliper piston.

If I were winging it, I'd pull the piston out first and expect that I could just push the parking brake mechanism out the other side once the piston is removed. However, knowing that almost nothing on BMWs is as simple as it seems, I thought it prudent to check with the community to see if anyone has done this before and can provide any tips.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 09:48 AM   #2
OrcaPod
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW F10 528i N52 engine

Hi
there are 2 bolts which you need to unscrew to remove electronic parking brake body unit from the caliper.
on your second pic, you're touching bolt on one side with your fingers.
You may need 2 wrenches for that. one to unscrew the bolt and another wrench to hold a nut which is under otherwise it would be spinning.

I followed instructions from this link when i replaced my rear brake rotors/pads last month

https://f10.5post.com/forums/showthr...ght=rear+brake

It seems that you removed the cover of the electronic parking brake body unit

Last edited by OrcaPod; 05-21-2019 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 10:13 AM   #3
Bozman52
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaPod View Post
Hi
there are 2 bolts which you need to unscrew to remove electronic parking brake body unit from the caliper.
on your second pic, you're touching bolt on one side with your fingers.
You may need 2 wrenches for that. one to unscrew the bolt and another wrench to hold a nut which is under otherwise it would be spinning.

I followed instructions from this link when i replaced my rear brake rotors/pads last month

https://f10.5post.com/forums/showthr...ght=rear+brake

It seems that you removed the cover of the electronic parking brake body unit
Thanks for the reply. I don't think I'm being clear enough, though. What you describe above will remove the caliper from the caliper carrier. This will need to be done at some point, but my real concern now is how to get all the "guts" out of the caliper. It obviously contains a piston, but on the back side of that, there is also a flat metal disc that the electronic parking brake assembly bolts into. I'm wondering how to get this disc (and other bits behind it) out of the caliper. My thought is that if I pull the piston out of the caliper, I will be able to push the remaining parking brake guts out the other side, but I wanted to check to ensure this is feasible prior to actually doing it.

In short, I need to get the caliper completely stripped down to the metal so that it can be sandblasted and powdercoated. Hopefully this is more clear.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 08:48 AM   #4
hardparker
Father of Frankenfold
Rep
Drives: Yo daddy's 2014 X3 M Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [0.00]
2014 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozman52 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I don't think I'm being clear enough, though. What you describe above will remove the caliper from the caliper carrier. This will need to be done at some point, but my real concern now is how to get all the "guts" out of the caliper. It obviously contains a piston, but on the back side of that, there is also a flat metal disc that the electronic parking brake assembly bolts into. I'm wondering how to get this disc (and other bits behind it) out of the caliper. My thought is that if I pull the piston out of the caliper, I will be able to push the remaining parking brake guts out the other side, but I wanted to check to ensure this is feasible prior to actually doing it.

In short, I need to get the caliper completely stripped down to the metal so that it can be sandblasted and powdercoated. Hopefully this is more clear.
Remove the o-ring and you'll see that it's not a separate disc, but rather part of the caliper body. You'll probably want to make sure that o-ring groove doesn't get powder coated, or you may have a hard time reassembling the actuator to the caliper body. You can most likely just leave the o-ring on for the powder coating process, as long as you have a replacement.
      05-27-2019, 03:27 AM   #5
Bozman52
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the insight. I guess I'll just get the piston out and go from there.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 08:07 PM   #6
mediocrechris
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i xDrive

Quote:
Thanks for the insight. I guess I'll just get the piston out and go from there.
Bozman, this would be a great opportunity for you to take pictures and make notes to post on the forum for future DYI projects, (hint, hint).
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 09:28 PM   #7
boogashooga
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i

Quote:
I'm planning to upgrade my braking system to the larger European 550i spec brakes front and rear. I bought the rear calipers on ebay and plan to powdercoat and rebuild them before installing. However, I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into how to properly remove the electronic parking brake system on the caliper side. I've removed the plastic parking brake housing, but there is this metal disc underneath it, that's opposite the caliper piston.

If I were winging it, I'd pull the piston out first and expect that I could just push the parking brake mechanism out the other side once the piston is removed. However, knowing that almost nothing on BMWs is as simple as it seems, I thought it prudent to check with the community to see if anyone has done this before and can provide any tips.
Did you ever get around to doing this?

I'm about to do the same. Any clarification on how you disassembled it?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 03:08 AM   #8
Bozman52
Private First Class
Rep

I did get around to doing this and my complete post can be found here: https://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1792113

However, in that post I didn't specify things to the level of detail that you're looking for. The short story is that there is nothing overly complicated behind that metal disc, so nothing to worry about. This video shows a slick way of disassembling that I wish I would have used (starting at 3:25):
Appreciate 0