2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum VDC on 520D SE

06-10-2019, 12:38 PM   #1
SarfrazM
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 Series

VDC on 520D SE

Hi there,

I am actually thinking of buying a used 65Reg BMW 520D SE Auto, which has 17in Light Alloy V – Spoke Style 236 with Run – Flat Tyres and Locking Wheel Bolts. It does not have variable damper control & Comfort+ mode, and the ones which have it are very few on sale and so are much more expensive.

I had originally short listed three cars: BMW 5 Series, Mercedes E Class and Audi A6. The most important thing for me is the comfort instead of sportiness, not just for the driver but also for three family members sitting on the back seats as I wouldn’t want them to feel dizziness/headache. We travel through local streets, roundabouts and motorways.

Most reviews on internet suggest that BMW without VDC is just an ordinary car with bumpy ride. I have not got the chance to try it myself yet but I had once travelled with a friend as a passenger in his BMW 3 Series having sports suspension and it was a very horrible experience. There was so much vibration coming from the road and it was such a rough ride that I thought I will never be sitting in this car again.

So, here is what I am interested in knowing:

Is VDC important on M Sports models with larger 18/19 inch tyres or am I also going to miss it in this SE even in comfort mode? In that case can it be fitted later in a used car and how much it may cost?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 02:00 AM   #2
SarfrazM
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 Series

Anyone out there who can put some light on the above issue?

Last edited by SarfrazM; 06-13-2019 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 03:33 PM   #3
bendandthrow
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 535d Touring 2014

I have recently upgraded from a 2010 F11 530d SE with 18" wheels and passive dampers to a 2014 F11 535 Luxury with 19" wheels and Adaptive Drive, which includes VDC. Both cars had run flat tyres. And both have similar mileage (67k and 69k respectively).

I can definitively say the new car is MUCH smoother over bumps and pot holes, despite having larger wheels.

Is that because of the VDC? Possibly/probably, but not certainly because it is smoother even when not in Comfort + and I have heard that VDC is not active in the other modes. However I am not sure this is true.

It is possible that my new car's suspension/dampers are simply in better condition that those in my old car.

But on balance I think the improvement is almost certainly due to the VDC.
      06-14-2019, 05:08 PM   #4
mrashton
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 G32 6GT; 2014 F45 218i

I drove a 530d F11 all over Europe on annual holidays fully loaded with luggage and my wife and daughters. The car had 19" wheels with runflats for the duration on SE suspension and we all loved it. You are looking at a car with 17" wheels on SE suspension so I suggest you drive it for yourself as it will be very compliant.
Appreciate 0