2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications MHD Antilag for F series n55's

02-08-2021, 11:07 PM   #23
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95blkmax View Post
...I could be wrong but I THINK LCI 535 M-sports had this feature stock??

Someone please correct me if I am wrong
You are correct.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 06:06 AM   #24
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowBMW View Post
Lol, that's cause it was only 190 hp. Breaking things just means it is time to upgrade...
Well, I was going more for "they don't build them like they used to"

It was likely actually in the low 200s as it sat with some stuff added to it, and it was a way more engaging driving experience in pretty much every way, but anyways.... It just seems like there was more engineered headroom for launch shenanigans and whatnot in that driveline than in what I've got now. I believe xHP unlocked LC on my pre-LCI, it offers a couple of pages of sliders to tune its behaviour - never even tried it.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 08:57 AM   #25
ey2001
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 535i 6spd

FYI... burbles fixed on the new update... anti lag still looking into it on f10
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 10:37 AM   #26
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Thanks! I just came here to see if burbles were fixed... I'm a developer and I understand the release notes don't always tell the whole story LOL - if they did you'd have to admit everything you did wrong...

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Website Insta @bimmerhausperformance YouTube
Appreciate 1
ey2001310.00
      02-10-2021, 12:24 PM   #27
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Thanks! I just came here to see if burbles were fixed... I'm a developer and I understand the release notes don't always tell the whole story LOL - if they did you'd have to admit everything you did wrong...
Hit'em with the good old Google changelog:

Bug fixes and improvements
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 04:12 PM   #28
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ey2001 View Post
Any word on when the anti lag will be fixed for the f10?

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 04:21 PM   #29
ey2001
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No they said still looking into it... once they get a fix I will test it.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 06:38 PM   #30
$howtime456
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i

Quote:
salute!
Precision 6266 On Steroids
Appreciate 1
ey2001310.00
      02-10-2021, 10:01 PM   #31
ziekxq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

I would be careful because this is generic anti-lag vs something that is tune for your specific setup. I would highly go against doing this on stock motor but it's your car your choice I guess. The way David Shoup explained this effects the button end of the motor the most which means this can potentially cause rod bearing failures or more.
Appreciate 1
95blkmax212.50
      02-11-2021, 08:43 AM   #32
95blkmax
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 535 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziekxq View Post
I would be careful because this is generic anti-lag vs something that is tune for your specific setup. I would highly go against doing this on stock motor but it's your car your choice I guess. The way David Shoup explained this effects the button end of the motor the most which means this can potentially cause rod bearing failures or more.
good point. The amount of load that this puts on the bottom end is great. Especially if the owner decides they want to set this feature to higher PSI ranges at low RPMs

Certainly this is no fix for that (going off on a related tangent here)... but this is exactly why on these tuned cars you do NOT stick to BMW's ridiculous oil change interval. Change your oil often. It will not avoid you from eating up your rod bearings, but it will help to reduce how much damage they take.
      02-11-2021, 09:17 AM   #33
ziekxq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

Quote:
good point. The amount of load that this puts on the bottom end is great. Especially if the owner decides they want to set this feature to higher PSI ranges at low RPMs

Certainly this is no fix for that (going off on a related tangent here)... but this is exactly why on these tuned cars you do NOT stick to BMW's ridiculous oil change interval. Change your oil often. It will not avoid you from eating up your rod bearings, but it will help to reduce how much damage they take.
My oil changes are every 3-4k miles 😆.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 09:40 AM   #34
95blkmax
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziekxq View Post
My oil changes are every 3-4k miles 😆.
same! 3000-3500mi. Especially since I run E30. Ethanol tends to add moisture in the crankcase so at a 10k mi interval it makes the oil APPEAR as if it was mixing with coolant (milkshake). I don't need that moisture getting into the tight film of oil at the rod bearings lol
      02-11-2021, 10:31 AM   #35
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Maybe I don't get *when* rod bearing are supposedly being impacted. During the actual anti-lag operation, combustion is taking place after the cylinder making for all the noise, flames and all that stuff the kids like. This is hard on the exhaust, turbo, and all the related plumbing. On the rolling shots, there isn't even any acceleration taking place - explain how the rod bearings are in peril? They're barely loaded.

Now, if you have your foot deep in the throttle and you release the anti-lag button, then you're suddenly making a lot of power. However, I don't know how "suddenly" it seems to an engine already spinning at 3k. The piston is changing direction 100 times per second - the acceleration feels "sudden" to the vehicle occupants but to the rod bearings is it really any different than stomping it to the floor from a stop? Or lifting and reapplying the throttle suddenly on factory code? (turbo still spooled naturally)

I'd be more worried about cooking the turbo, destroying every cat in the car etc...
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 08:19 AM   #36
95blkmax
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
Maybe I don't get *when* rod bearing are supposedly being impacted. During the actual anti-lag operation, combustion is taking place after the cylinder making for all the noise, flames and all that stuff the kids like. This is hard on the exhaust, turbo, and all the related plumbing. On the rolling shots, there isn't even any acceleration taking place - explain how the rod bearings are in peril? They're barely loaded.

Now, if you have your foot deep in the throttle and you release the anti-lag button, then you're suddenly making a lot of power. However, I don't know how "suddenly" it seems to an engine already spinning at 3k. The piston is changing direction 100 times per second - the acceleration feels "sudden" to the vehicle occupants but to the rod bearings is it really any different than stomping it to the floor from a stop? Or lifting and reapplying the throttle suddenly on factory code? (turbo still spooled naturally)

I'd be more worried about cooking the turbo, destroying every cat in the car etc...
You'd be right in your concern for the turbo!

The issue Im concerned about is people setting the antilag to 12psi at 2500 rpm (if that's even possible on the app... I've yet to take a look at it). It's a matter of engine load. Same reason you don't do a 100-shot of nitrous off idle, or go WOT on a turbo's NA engine below 3000 rpm. That amount of load is killer on the bottom end. That's how other engines throw a rod out the block lol. That and being that early N55s like mine (I believe it's 2014 and back) have cast pistons and rods, it's not something I'd want to play with. You can certainly do it but I'd go higher up in the rpm for it like 3500-4000.

Anywho, that kind of load on the bottom end really tests the quality of the oil. As the rods dont rub, but "float" on a thin film of oil between the rod end and the crank journal. If load is too sudden and too low on RPM- especially with degraded oil, the driver runs the risk of the load pushing the piston hard enough to "squeeze the oil film" off the mating surface and make hard metal to metal contact. This is instant spun bearing situation and now this driver would have rod knock.
      02-12-2021, 09:00 AM   #37
MatthewLC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i

Quote:
You'd be right in your concern for the turbo!

The issue Im concerned about is people setting the antilag to 12psi at 2500 rpm (if that's even possible on the app... I've yet to take a look at it). It's a matter of engine load. Same reason you don't do a 100-shot of nitrous off idle, or go WOT on a turbo's NA engine below 3000 rpm. That amount of load is killer on the bottom end. That's how other engines throw a rod out the block lol. That and being that early N55s like mine (I believe it's 2014 and back) have cast pistons and rods, it's not something I'd want to play with. You can certainly do it but I'd go higher up in the rpm for it like 3500-4000.

Anywho, that kind of load on the bottom end really tests the quality of the oil. As the rods dont rub, but "float" on a thin film of oil between the rod end and the crank journal. If load is too sudden and too low on RPM- especially with degraded oil, the driver runs the risk of the load pushing the piston hard enough to "squeeze the oil film" off the mating surface and make hard metal to metal contact. This is instant spun bearing situation and now this driver would have rod knock.
While theoretically I agree with everything you've highlighted, In my opinion I don't think this is anything to be worried about.

If there really was a true concern about loading up an engine at low rpm and beating up the bottom end, then you shouldn't run any aftermarket tune on an N55. If you look at the dyno graph of any tuned n55, they basically make peak torque and boost at 2500rpm. This is just the nature of the tiny turbo that's on this engine. If beating up the bearings/bottom end was really that big of a concern then the "tuners" would have a totally different boost curve to flatten the torque output of our engines. I can put my car in the highest gear, at 25mph, floor it and probably put way more load on the engine, for longer, than anti-lag would.

Regardless, the anti-lag feature for stock turbo engines isn't really a big value add. I can understand if you have a turbocharger upgrade, but the stock turbo is so small and spools so easily that I don't think it's going to make that big of a difference. Hell, you can free rev a stock turbo n55 and it'll make boost.

I think it's going to be just like burbles. It makes pops and bang noises, sounds cool to the kids and they can talk about "anti-lag bro". I don't have MHD so I'm not sure how it works, but if they were really concerned about you damaging your engine, they would likely set a limit on how long or how often you can use it. Honestly if you sit on the anti-lag long enough to damage your engine then you kinda deserved it lol.

Just my thoughts on it
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2021, 11:01 AM   #38
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Good call on all your points there, and they DID set limits on this. It will only hold boost for a couple seconds and then release it - meaning if you don't launch it releases boost - so you can't sit on anti-lag. And I was watching my boost gauge, even at lower rpms I can make 12 lbs of boost pretty quick, so how much advantage this will gain you could be pretty minimal since we have small, quick spooling turbos. So I also agree that bigger turbo'd cars would see more of a difference with this. Which is yet another reason why I don't think this will be the destroyer of the bottom end!

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 02:58 PM   #39
95blkmax
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewLC View Post
While theoretically I agree with everything you've highlighted, In my opinion I don't think this is anything to be worried about.

If there really was a true concern about loading up an engine at low rpm and beating up the bottom end, then you shouldn't run any aftermarket tune on an N55. If you look at the dyno graph of any tuned n55, they basically make peak torque and boost at 2500rpm. This is just the nature of the tiny turbo that's on this engine. If beating up the bearings/bottom end was really that big of a concern then the "tuners" would have a totally different boost curve to flatten the torque output of our engines. I can put my car in the highest gear, at 25mph, floor it and probably put way more load on the engine, for longer, than anti-lag would.

Regardless, the anti-lag feature for stock turbo engines isn't really a big value add. I can understand if you have a turbocharger upgrade, but the stock turbo is so small and spools so easily that I don't think it's going to make that big of a difference. Hell, you can free rev a stock turbo n55 and it'll make boost.

I think it's going to be just like burbles. It makes pops and bang noises, sounds cool to the kids and they can talk about "anti-lag bro". I don't have MHD so I'm not sure how it works, but if they were really concerned about you damaging your engine, they would likely set a limit on how long or how often you can use it. Honestly if you sit on the anti-lag long enough to damage your engine then you kinda deserved it lol.

Just my thoughts on it
I can see where you're coming from and you're right. This engine in particular was built around this baby turbo that can spool from down low. So that TOLERANCE should be in place. I did not think of that.
      02-12-2021, 03:13 PM   #40
95blkmax
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Good call on all your points there, and they DID set limits on this. It will only hold boost for a couple seconds and then release it - meaning if you don't launch it releases boost - so you can't sit on anti-lag. And I was watching my boost gauge, even at lower rpms I can make 12 lbs of boost pretty quick, so how much advantage this will gain you could be pretty minimal since we have small, quick spooling turbos. So I also agree that bigger turbo'd cars would see more of a difference with this. Which is yet another reason why I don't think this will be the destroyer of the bottom end!
makes perfect since sir, thanks!
      02-12-2021, 08:26 PM   #41
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

I think this feature brings up an interesting question. Knowing the availability of this feature, and that many owners are not exactly gentle on the cars to begin with, how would this affect future buying decisions? I feel like I'd definitely stay away from cars that have been MHD/BM3 tuned since there's no real way to see if they've abused the anti-lag feature or not.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 08:26 AM   #42
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Let us know when you are testing!!!

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 08:28 AM   #43
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
I think this feature brings up an interesting question. Knowing the availability of this feature, and that many owners are not exactly gentle on the cars to begin with, how would this affect future buying decisions? I feel like I'd definitely stay away from cars that have been MHD/BM3 tuned since there's no real way to see if they've abused the anti-lag feature or not.
There are so many unmolested, elderly owned 5 series, why risk it? Unless it comes modded just like you want, it could be cheaper to buy it 'done'. I have driven my car and enjoyed it, but not abused it. I would buy my car from me, lol

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 04:24 PM   #44
ey2001
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Let us know when you are testing!!!
Will do... I only got the new ost file to test but I will not be home til end of next wk to try it out...
Appreciate 0