2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications N63 gutted stock downpipes?

02-04-2020, 12:07 AM   #1
F10n63
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i xdrive

N63 gutted stock downpipes?

Can you gut the n63 stock downpipes? If you can will it aid in passing inspection(MA)?
With aftermarket pipes there is a "cat not ready for testing" issue during inspection that seems to have no solution outside of swapping back to stock every year. Your allowed to throw one of these codes, but not two. Two pipes = 2 codes.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 07:55 AM   #2
Rob09msport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335 msport

Foulers or 02 sims. You can also build your own o2 sim with a 2.2k resistor across the signal wire and then a 10k resistor clamping to ground off of the negative leg on the 2.2k resistor. You can pm me if you are handy and I can give you more detailed instructions.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 05:38 PM   #3
F10n63
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob09msport View Post
Foulers or 02 sims. You can also build your own o2 sim with a 2.2k resistor across the signal wire and then a 10k resistor clamping to ground off of the negative leg on the 2.2k resistor. You can pm me if you are handy and I can give you more detailed instructions.
That works for the not ready for testing issue and not just the check engine light? I'm not handy and I would be unable to do any of that, but I probably need to know what to tell an exhaust shop or whoever I have do it.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 08:33 AM   #4
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10n63 View Post
That works for the not ready for testing issue and not just the check engine light? I'm not handy and I would be unable to do any of that, but I probably need to know what to tell an exhaust shop or whoever I have do it.
I doubt an exhaust shop will have the expertise to do sims. Your best bet in that case is asking them to install O2 spacers (aka foulers). It'll make the CEL go away as well since the car will read correct lambda values, BUT BMW has been tightening up the tolerances so you can actually go the opposite way and be reading too low. It's a game of cat and mouse unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 08:32 PM   #5
Rob09msport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335 msport

Foulers will get you to read ready if you do the drive cycle but they may eventually trigger a cel that's a gamble but just foulers will get you to pass most likely. If you want a gaurantee purchase o2 sims with adjustable pot this way you can dial in to your car exact. They are looking for approx 20 percent reduction in signal that's what your are looking to achieve. Alot of places will pass you if you get a stage 2 tune that shuts off the narrow band's and prevents a check engine. I just go to sears or a tire place where they look for not ready or fail but dont pay attention to not available and since their are alot of diesel related functions that list not available they see o2 catalyst heater and evap etc saying ready and pass you. I believe you have same inspection as CT in which case like I said simple solution is a tune. When I was in NY I had to build that sim and it worked great still is on my n54 but my n55 and n63tu have been non issue passing.
Appreciate 0