2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications 13 550 high flow cat Q?

02-05-2020, 01:24 PM   #1
SHI550
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 550i M sport

13 550 high flow cat Q?

I am seeing that M5 high flow or catless downpipes pretty much fit on N63 engines. Perhaps we have to weld on a mounting bracket etc. My question is, any reason we can't use something like this from ebay? I have the slip style exhaust and M5 mufflers mounted. Not the full M5 exhaust just mufflers in the back.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Turbo-D...cAAOSwkvFaalwm

$699 and they are 200 cell. Should be a decent gain here right? How many cell is the OEM downpipe fromt he factory, 600?

Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 08:24 PM   #2
Rob09msport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335 msport

I dont think m5 dp will fit
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 05:39 AM   #3
550iFreak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i 6MT

I bought the same set but from Germany so it is coming straight from the source. I'm currently figuring out what's needed to fit.

I have a 2011 550i, regular n63 engine. I also purchased the m5 mid pipe/resonator so the slip on should work. It will be then welded to my stock resonator.

They say the old n63 brackets should fit to use the m5 downpipe and then the m5 midsection. Could've got the whole exhaust........but the mid pipe was offered very cheaply.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 12:41 PM   #4
badblack550xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i 2011 F90 2020 COMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHI550 View Post
I am seeing that M5 high flow or catless downpipes pretty much fit on N63 engines. Perhaps we have to weld on a mounting bracket etc. My question is, any reason we can't use something like this from ebay? I have the slip style exhaust and M5 mufflers mounted. Not the full M5 exhaust just mufflers in the back.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Turbo-D...cAAOSwkvFaalwm

$699 and they are 200 cell. Should be a decent gain here right? How many cell is the OEM downpipe fromt he factory, 600?

Thanks guys.
direct fit, should be no issues.
      02-09-2020, 08:46 PM   #5
SHI550
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by badblack550xi View Post
direct fit, should be no issues.
Awesome thanks. Bad black what cata are you running?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 09:07 PM   #6
SHI550
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550iFreak View Post
I bought the same set but from Germany so it is coming straight from the source. I'm currently figuring out what's needed to fit.

I have a 2011 550i, regular n63 engine. I also purchased the m5 mid pipe/resonator so the slip on should work. It will be then welded to my stock resonator.

They say the old n63 brackets should fit to use the m5 downpipe and then the m5 midsection. Could've got the whole exhaust........but the mid pipe was offered very cheaply.
Let me know how the install goes please.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 10:09 PM   #7
550iFreak
Private First Class
Rep

Alright......here are the results.

Dont get them unless you are planning to spend all day fabricating, cutting, fitting, banging etc lol.

I can tell you right now that those dps are NOT compatible to the stock 550i system. They are quite larger than the stockers.

Unfortunately, the mounting brackets are equally small.....so they had to be removed and opened up abit. They are not easy to remove. The pass side requires removal of the starter and the driver side requires the oil cooler lines bracket to be removed.

The dps supplied.....driver side fits okay but my pass side hits the vaccuum pump. Gotta do the old fashion love tap the pipe to gain clearance between so it can mount to the vband.

Get the m5 exhaust brackets, they will save a bunch of time.

Welding the m6 competition midpipes( had to double check, thought it was reg m5) and maaaaaaaaannnnn they sound ridiculously good.

Not for the faint of heart.

But that sound.
And no smell.
And cel yet to report....

Gotta fix the little bs stuff like a small like on the pass side and reweld the brackets holding the dps......they wont work as it comes.

Alot of fabbing....so no on bolt on.

I'll supply a sound clip soon.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 11:42 PM   #8
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Why not just go with normal N63 downpipes...? Seems like way more work than necessary.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 04:50 AM   #9
SHI550
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Alright......here are the results.

Dont get them unless you are planning to spend all day fabricating, cutting, fitting, banging etc lol.

I can tell you right now that those dps are NOT compatible to the stock 550i system. They are quite larger than the stockers.

Unfortunately, the mounting brackets are equally small.....so they had to be removed and opened up abit. They are not easy to remove. The pass side requires removal of the starter and the driver side requires the oil cooler lines bracket to be removed.

The dps supplied.....driver side fits okay but my pass side hits the vaccuum pump. Gotta do the old fashion love tap the pipe to gain clearance between so it can mount to the vband.

Get the m5 exhaust brackets, they will save a bunch of time.

Welding the m6 competition midpipes( had to double check, thought it was reg m5) and maaaaaaaaannnnn they sound ridiculously good.

Not for the faint of heart.

But that sound.
And no smell.
And cel yet to report....

Gotta fix the little bs stuff like a small like on the pass side and reweld the brackets holding the dps......they wont work as it comes.

Alot of fabbing....so no on bolt on.

I'll supply a sound clip soon.
That sounds like a job! Well we know they dont fit without some work. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 06:50 AM   #10
Rob09msport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335 msport

I had looked into it prev and that's why I said pretty sure a no go ,the rest of system works decent with the hangers like you said. Bad black I am curious what made you day they fit ? Not being dick but actually asking cause I know their are 2 dif style n63 dp depending on yr so maybe you had experience with diff combination. The diameter would still be issue but if going full m5 exhaust that would become moot point.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 07:35 AM   #11
550iFreak
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah, the m5 slip pipe side literally slid over the stock n63 downpipe so the size difference is noticable.

Why cant I go with regular n63 downpipes? Two main reasons (on my part, it may differ from others).

1. Aftermarket n63 dps are mainly available as catless. Not alot of options for catted downpipes. The catless are also not 100 percent to fitment. I've tried and the ones I have gotten broke the flex pipe joint area due to excessive stress.

2. Cost. Should be the first reason but it accompanies the reason above. The only true n63 dps that will work no issues from various reports are the expensive AR designs or equivalent. They also provide catted options but prepare to spend almost 2k. The m5 slip ons are only 200 or so dollars and up to 600 on catted unless you can negotiate. I got mines negotiated for 400 bucks new.

Plus, the m5 or m6 cat backs are slowly coming down on price. I got the midsection from an m6 competition for 225 shipped to my door from ebay.

So....basically spend 700 or so dollars is not a bad deal for a budget m style exhaust.

But it really comes down to skill set and how willing and comfortable you are in terms of fabrication and modifying stuff to make them work. I'm okay with that. I'm not perfect but I am an aircraft technician, back yard mechanic and small engine technician.

Since I can perform the valve seal operation on my car....everything else on her looks easy lol.

So its ultimately up to you in terms of "is this worth it?" It is bigger than the n63, sounds fantastic, sure have some better flow. I can dig it.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 09:23 AM   #12
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, the m5 slip pipe side literally slid over the stock n63 downpipe so the size difference is noticable.

Why cant I go with regular n63 downpipes? Two main reasons (on my part, it may differ from others).

1. Aftermarket n63 dps are mainly available as catless. Not alot of options for catted downpipes. The catless are also not 100 percent to fitment. I've tried and the ones I have gotten broke the flex pipe joint area due to excessive stress.

2. Cost. Should be the first reason but it accompanies the reason above. The only true n63 dps that will work no issues from various reports are the expensive AR designs or equivalent. They also provide catted options but prepare to spend almost 2k. The m5 slip ons are only 200 or so dollars and up to 600 on catted unless you can negotiate. I got mines negotiated for 400 bucks new.

Plus, the m5 or m6 cat backs are slowly coming down on price. I got the midsection from an m6 competition for 225 shipped to my door from ebay.

So....basically spend 700 or so dollars is not a bad deal for a budget m style exhaust.
Cost seems a bit misleading here. Your M5 catted downpipes were cheap not because they were for M5's, but because they were from some no name ebay brand. If you got a name-brand one for the M5, it would come out a lot more expensive than the AR N63 one. Not saying there's anything wrong with ebay downpipes, but making it seem like the average price for S63 catted downpipes is 200-600 is a little misleading.

If you plan on tuning the car, I'd be a little cautious on burble aggression. The seller likely has zero after-sale support for the item, so if it does actually melt or something due to low product quality, you're SOL.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 07:19 PM   #13
550iFreak
Private First Class
Rep

You're right.

I am referring to the ebay counterparts vs the real deal items. The equivalent brand to the m5 would be much more expensive since it goes to that crowd. Easily over 2k no problem.

These catted pipes I got from Germany looks promising. The welds are nicely done, the stainless steel material is good and there's no flex joint for them to fail unless my other catless pipes where it did fail. The catalyst material which is metal substrate looks fantastic also.

It is not a bad deal for the price. I will continue to report on its performance and longevity for them. The car is stock. I may have one step closer ngk plugs, jb4, lower temp thermo and potentially alpina turbos once I get all the associated seals and hardware.

Only time and mileage will tell.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 08:27 PM   #14
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You're right.

I am referring to the ebay counterparts vs the real deal items. The equivalent brand to the m5 would be much more expensive since it goes to that crowd. Easily over 2k no problem.

These catted pipes I got from Germany looks promising. The welds are nicely done, the stainless steel material is good and there's no flex joint for them to fail unless my other catless pipes where it did fail. The catalyst material which is metal substrate looks fantastic also.

It is not a bad deal for the price. I will continue to report on its performance and longevity for them. The car is stock. I may have one step closer ngk plugs, jb4, lower temp thermo and potentially alpina turbos once I get all the associated seals and hardware.

Only time and mileage will tell.
JB4 will likely throw codes and generally the car will complain (CEL, codes, etc) about the cats. You're gonna need a proper flash tune to disable the catalytic converter efficiency monitor.

Unless you don't have emissions testing were you're at lol
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 08:44 PM   #15
550iFreak
Private First Class
Rep

Good ol Florida, gotta love it lol

Well if it passes 100 miles without cel, it should be good. I'm at 70 miles so far and no cel at the moment.

Usually at that mileage, my cel would pop up for below efficiency so it might be promising.

I also have the jb4 that you can select modes on the control stalk, and it will clear any codes on demand. But again....if it goes over 100- 200 miles without c.e.l. I can consider this as a win.

I have a long trip this upcoming friday(about 2.5 to 3hrs) so it will be good test to really try them out.

So far, I haven't pissed anyone off at the chick fila line due to the smell lol. That's a win already.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 09:05 AM   #16
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Good ol Florida, gotta love it lol

Well if it passes 100 miles without cel, it should be good. I'm at 70 miles so far and no cel at the moment.

Usually at that mileage, my cel would pop up for below efficiency so it might be promising.

I also have the jb4 that you can select modes on the control stalk, and it will clear any codes on demand. But again....if it goes over 100- 200 miles without c.e.l. I can consider this as a win.

I have a long trip this upcoming friday(about 2.5 to 3hrs) so it will be good test to really try them out.

So far, I haven't pissed anyone off at the chick fila line due to the smell lol. That's a win already.
For me before I tuned out the monitor, the CEL only pops up after a 1-2 hour drive. Hopefully you didn't jinx it with this post :P
Appreciate 0