2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Customized BMW add on blind spot mirrors

02-16-2020, 03:20 PM   #1
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: drei BMWs

Customized BMW add on blind spot mirrors

Hi all,

I originally posted this over in the F30 forums as a 3 series owner. It has gotten a lot of interest and I figured I would post here, as it might be interesting to 5 series owners. I also posted this in the X1 and X2 forum and figured I'd share here, as well. A number over users over there seemed to be very appreciative of this new find, so I figured I'd share here too, and maybe I'll also do so in the 2 series form.

This all started a few weeks ago when I bumped into a guy at Costco and noticed the unique mirrors on his 3 series. Turns out he is the designer of this brand new product.

Here is the link to my original post: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1690558

Here is my original post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAudi2BMW View Post
I have a crazy story for my fellow BMW enthusiasts. How do you know you are getting old? Many of your stories start with the other day I was going to Costco...

I live in the Encinitas area of North San Diego and as you can tell, I frequent Costco Carlsbad. Anyone who knows Costco Carlsbad knows it is a wasteland of huge SUVs crammed into spots that are small for a Mini Cooper. But I can't get enough, especially the yogurt (please bring back the chocolate and vanilla swirl).

When I was parking I was glad to see a nice and clean BMW parking next to an open spot. I knew I'd be safe as long as they were there, right?. A younger guy was getting out and I said to him nice car (we both were mineral gray). He laughed and said thanks, and that was when I noticed his mirrors.

He had these blind spot mirrors that fit like a glove and looked factory-like. I have blind spot mirrors on my RAM and I love them. I've rented Ford cars with the built-in ones and loved having those too. I've looked for something that did not look terrible but have never found anything stick on.

I asked this guy about them (Andy) and he said he owns a few businesses. He just started a new one and he actually makes them for that exact reason. He said he started messing with them this past summer and eventually went all-in with a full on company to do it. We were talking for a bit and he was telling me he has had a set on his car for a few months testing and tweaking. He sent a few to friends and family in other states too. I was the first person to ever ask though.

He gave me a set and said give them a try and if you like them, please send me some feedback. I have had them for a few weeks and I love them. I am the first testimonial on his site. He was a nice kid!

I had an X2 loaner about a month ago that these would have been awesome on. Boy was that thing hard to see out of.

Here is the website for anyone interested: https://*********************

Now for the chocolate and vanilla swirl yogurt?

Edit / update: I received a promotional email from this company with a coupon code valid for the month of February. 15% off for anyone interested. NEWUSER15

Edit again, finally got some pics!!

Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS

Last edited by VWAudi2BMW; 03-02-2020 at 02:00 PM..
Appreciate 2
      02-17-2020, 08:45 AM   #2
Cvx5832
Private
Rep
Drives: ‘15 535i M-Sport

Just sharing. I too was looking for a solution, even about to pay for the aspherical mirrors from Europe until I came across a document on how to adjust the mirrors from an old SAE publication. Took a couple days to get used to but I eventually cancelled that order and never looked back.

Basically position your mirrors so you see the door handle on the inner bottom corner, then push it out until it just falls out of view. Voila.

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 11:03 AM   #3
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvx5832 View Post
Just sharing. I too was looking for a solution, even about to pay for the aspherical mirrors from Europe until I came across a document on how to adjust the mirrors from an old SAE publication. Took a couple days to get used to but I eventually cancelled that order and never looked back.

Basically position your mirrors so you see the door handle on the inner bottom corner, then push it out until it just falls out of view. Voila.

Yes, it is important for all to understand how to properly adjust the sideview mirrors to get the best visibility out of them.

This still does not take away the entire blind spot and also adds others though, too. In this situation, you are seeing further away but reducing visibility closer in.
You would still want to turn your head to check blind spots, and it also makes other maneuvers like parking more difficult.

I have owned many vehicle types and have always positioned my mirrors how you have shown, but there is still a lot of extra visibility on the driver side and a little extra visibility on the passenger side with these added convex.

In my initial F30 post this topic was also brought up, so I went for a drive and positioned my mirrors both ways so people could see the difference.

As you can see, there is still a blind spot both ways, and a lot of extra visibility with the added blind spot mirror both ways.

I am really loving mine so far for various driving situations. I hope this helps
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2020, 04:23 PM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Not sure how much those cost...but if you have auto-dimming/heated side mirrors...it may be worth the price to get the BMW aspherical (wide angle) mirrors. Unfortunately they aren't cheap.

And even adjusting the mirrors properly (as mentioned)...the wide angle mirrors still can't be beat due to the increased viewing area. You can see how many more parking spaces are visible in the pics below of the oe wide angle mirrors vs the mirrors BMW NA uses for this market:

{OE driver's side Mirror}

{wide angle driver's side mirror}

{oe passenger mirror}

[center]{wide angle passenger mirror}

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 2
      02-17-2020, 04:43 PM   #5
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Not sure how much those cost...but if you have auto-dimming/heated side mirrors...it may be worth the price to get the BMW aspherical (wide angle) mirrors. Unfortunately they aren't cheap.

And even adjusting the mirrors properly (as mentioned)...the wide angle mirrors still can't be beat due to the increased viewing area. You can see how many more parking spaces are visible in the pics below of the oe wide angle mirrors vs the mirrors BMW NA uses for this market:
My 330i does have heated and dimming. The ones shown are $34.95 and they are offering a 15% off discount with the coupon code listed. They have models that custom fit a lot of BMW cars, too.

I thought long and hard about the OE spherical ones on my VW the BMW replaced. I ended up putting one of those bubble stick on things from Amazon and it was terrible. The VW were not auto-dimming, but the OE aspherical were pricy enough. The dimming ones for BMW are pretty crazy!!

I will say that the extended view ones do not give me glare at night so dimming is not a huge deal...

For the price, given they fit nice and work very well, I hope some people find them useful! The email with the code did not give a date of expiration so not sure about that!
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 07:52 AM   #6
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
I've had these on my E39 and now my F10. Was planning to get some for my E90 but had a hard time finding anything resembling a reasonable price. They're standard in EU as far as I know.

Love them!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 09:20 AM   #7
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
I've had these on my E39 and now my F10. Was planning to get some for my E90 but had a hard time finding anything resembling a reasonable price. They're standard in EU as far as I know.

Love them!
Unfortunately the price is high for the oe BMW wide angle mirrors if you have auto dimming & heating features. The mirrors pictured above for my f06 650iX were around $130 for the pair...and I got them from a seller on eBay from Berlin Germany.

The wide angle mirrors a got for my e53 & e39...I believe I got from someone from Riga, Latvia...and both of those sets of left/right wide angle mirrors were around $100+...but still far less than getting them from BMW.

So at least this thread gives multiple possibilities for anyone thinking about changing their mirrors for something that has a better viewing angle.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 02-18-2020 at 01:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 11:35 AM   #8
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So at least this thread gives multiple possibilities for anyone thinking about changing their mirrors for something that has a better viewing angle.

For me the cost savings went into a BM3 tune, so I can both see much better and also go much faster
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 03:53 PM   #9
ThaiBruin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-Sport

Just ordered a set. I definitely like the flush look of these.
      03-02-2020, 02:00 PM   #10
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hi all,

quick update my original post. The initial coupon code is now expired. The company sent out an email to customers a few weeks ago with a new one for referring new customers in March. I updated the first post and will put it here too.

NEWUSER15 for 15% off if anyone is interested! enjoy!!
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 03:41 PM   #11
VAB5
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 535; '15 328; '05 ZHP conv

How do these work with heated mirrors? I imagine the heating doesn't get to the stick on blind spot mirrors?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 04:08 PM   #12
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAB5 View Post
How do these work with heated mirrors? I imagine the heating doesn't get to the stick on blind spot mirrors?
I live in California so we do not have a ton of awful weather. We do get a decent amount of fog and it rains here and there in the winter. Like one winter it rains and another it doesn't these days

These go on top so the heating does not impact.

The OEM built-in ones on my truck don't heat or dim either, but the side view ones do. I put rain X on my mirrors on all vehicles and that seems to do more than anything in all honesty. It tends to get pretty damp and foggy around the coast here and keeping them clean and a coating on them of the rain X I think works better than anything else.
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 1
SikhBMW51.50
      03-03-2020, 05:04 PM   #13
ThaiBruin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-Sport

I got mine last week and installed them over the weekend. I like them! Unfortunately, my wife thinks it makes my car look like a "grandpa" car. I politely disagreed since the form fits the mirror and it's not one of those circular plastic stick on ones.
      03-20-2020, 09:09 AM   #14
walmark
Apprentice
Rep
Drives: 550i F10 '15

Quote:

I just got those from Latvia, ~$150 shipped for heated and dimming. 2 minute install and a great improvement! The stick-ons do the job, but affect how the car looks, kinda like those wind deflectors for sunroof and windows:
[IMG]https://assets.weathertech.com/asset...undra_09_2.JPG[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 11:52 AM   #15
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by walmark View Post
I just got those from Latvia, ~$150 shipped for heated and dimming. 2 minute install and a great improvement!
I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 01:25 PM   #16
VAB5
Private
Rep

Quote:
I just got those from Latvia, ~$150 shipped for heated and dimming. 2 minute install and a great improvement!
Do you have part numbers? Are those mirrors OEM?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 01:29 PM   #17
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Just this week...I came upon a car (as I was passing them)...and (at least) the driver’s side mirror was designed just like the mirror in the pics you posted above...and it made me think of this thread. Unfortunately, the only thing I remember about the car was that it was red...I can’t remember what the make/model was other than it wasn’t a BMW.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 03-21-2020 at 01:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 01:39 PM   #18
walmark
Apprentice
Rep
Drives: 550i F10 '15

Quote:
Quote:
Those were OEM used for a number of platforms (F01, F10, etc.). I already installed them but you can try and decipher the part number from the listing images.
[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 01:58 PM   #19
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You can easily find the BMW 11 digit part Nbr’s to shop for by using the Euro side of any of the online part database sites. I’m going to assume by now...that must know about these sites and how to use them:
  1. Www.Realoem.com
  2. Www.bmwfans.info
  3. Http://Bimmercat.com

Click any of the links above, then select model/model year etc that is just like your car but select for Euro market. Then browse to the VEHICLE TRIM diagrams and select the mirror diagrams. If you need the dimming & heated mirrors, then select the appropriate diagram option S430A. If you only need the heated mirrors then select the other diagram. You will need mirror #1 in the diagram...and take note of the left & right part Nbr’s for the wide angle mirrors in the part number index below they diagram:

Last edited by Qsilver7; 03-21-2020 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 10:42 AM   #20
VAB5
Private
Rep

Quote:
You can easily find the BMW 11 digit part Nbr’s to shop for by using the Euro side of any of the online part database sites. I’m going to assume by now...that must know about these sites and how to use them:
  1. Www.Realoem.com
  2. Www.bmwfans.info

Click any of the links above, then select model/model year etc that is just like your car but select for Euro market. Then browse to the VEHICLE TRIM diagrams and select the mirror diagrams. If you need the dimming & heated mirrors, then select the appropriate diagram option S430A. If you only need the heated mirrors then select the other diagram. You will need mirror #1 in the diagram...and take note of the left & right part Nbr’s for the wide angle mirrors in the part number index below they diagram:
Sweet! I use RealOem all the time, but never thought to change it to EUR.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 10:46 AM   #21
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sweet! I use RealOem all the time, but never thought to change it to EUR.

Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 08:23 PM   #22
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Those were OEM used for a number of platforms (F01, F10, etc.). I already installed them but you can try and decipher the part number from the listing images.
[IMG][/IMG]
Quote:
  1. Www.Realoem.com
  2. Www.bmwfans.info

Hmmmm..... Wonder if these come with Corona??

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32505657922.html

Might be worth the chance for less than $30!
Appreciate 0