2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Android update - Spotify issues

04-12-2019, 02:52 AM   #1
NickCW
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d

Android update - Spotify issues

Morning all,

Bit of an odd one, I have a Sony Xperia phone, and use Spotify via Bluetooth on my F10. The recent Android update however has killed the music controls, which is annoying to say the least.

When music is playing now the track details are displayed as unknown, you cannot cycle through tracks and the steering wheel toggle doesn't work either.

Any suggestions?
Contacted Sony who suggested a repair sequence on the phone to no avail..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 08:05 AM   #2
BeeEmmDubleYuu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCW View Post
Morning all,

Bit of an odd one, I have a Sony Xperia phone, and use Spotify via Bluetooth on my F10. The recent Android update however has killed the music controls, which is annoying to say the least.

When music is playing now the track details are displayed as unknown, you cannot cycle through tracks and the steering wheel toggle doesn't work either.

Any suggestions?
Contacted Sony who suggested a repair sequence on the phone to no avail..
just a thought but did you delete the device both on the phone and car and pair again?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 12:40 PM   #3
Fox530
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

This happened to me. It just stopped working properly one day.

In the end I bought a cheap iPhone and use it just for Spotify integration through BMW apps.
      05-11-2019, 09:15 AM   #4
ben.bell1987
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10 520D M Sport

Hi, just thought I'd share my experiences with Pro Nav (NBT not BMW Apps/connecteddrive)

Samsung Phone/Spotify via bluetooth>Change tracks on current playlist, No Album Artwork, not able to see next track or change playlist
Samsung phone/Spotify via usb>Spotify does not work
iPod/Spotify via USB>Change tracks on current playlist, Album Artwork appears but not able to see next track or change playlist

I have heard that the artwork is an android limitation (https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1169402) and iPhone users with Apple music get the most functionality being able to choose playlists and see album artwork.

If anyone knows what it atakes to change playlists in idrive then I'd be interested (without moving to iPhone)
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 04:46 AM   #5
Fox530
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben.bell1987 View Post
If anyone knows what it atakes to change playlists in idrive then I'd be interested (without moving to iPhone)
You have to move to iPhone. As I said above I now use a cheap old iphone in the centre console which just runs Spotify. It mostly works well and allows you to use full Spotify integration via BMW Apps - playlist selection etc.

Weirdly, you get no album art in the side window view when using Spotify via BMW Apps, but you get full album art in the side window view when using Spotify via 'External Devices' and then 'USB Device'.

Bizarre.
      02-24-2020, 02:56 PM   #6
ben.bell1987
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox530 View Post
You have to move to iPhone. As I said above I now use a cheap old iphone in the centre console which just runs Spotify. It mostly works well and allows you to use full Spotify integration via BMW Apps - playlist selection etc.

Weirdly, you get no album art in the side window view when using Spotify via BMW Apps, but you get full album art in the side window view when using Spotify via 'External Devices' and then 'USB Device'.

Bizarre.
Thanks for sharing this, I have been running a very old ipod touch from the centre console however this does not allow for playlist selection/album artwork

Can I ask which iPhone you used as I'm thinking about doing the same?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 10:12 AM   #7
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535D MSport Touring

The BMW bluetooth experience from smartphone is BS. Flip a coin whether it connects that particular day. Same across lots of BMW cars. It's $hit.

2013 Z4 35is + tons of options. CURRENT
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 02:07 PM   #8
ColiFeCape
Rep
Drives: 2017 435dx F32 M Sport

My iphone 8 through a usb cable allows all apple music and spotify controls with art and track numbers to work fine ( when the BMW app works, 60% or so)
but now on bluetooth spotify the art stays at the same one and track numbers do this 4 of 2 and the like.
I VO coded it for enhanced BT over a year ago and up until lately its been fine
Its odd, has to be a spotify issue.
An one else with the same caper?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 03:43 PM   #9
ben.bell1987
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColiFeCape View Post
My iphone 8 through a usb cable allows all apple music and spotify controls with art and track numbers to work fine ( when the BMW app works, 60% or so)
but now on bluetooth spotify the art stays at the same one and track numbers do this 4 of 2 and the like.
I VO coded it for enhanced BT over a year ago and up until lately its been fine
Its odd, has to be a spotify issue.
An one else with the same caper?
Bought an old iPhone 6s for the centre console with latest ios, results are:
Plugged in (good quality but not genuine cable)
Spotify - Album artwork works but no playlist control
Apple Music - Album artwork works and playlist control works

Looks like a Spotify issue which is annoying as thats what I subscribe to and have playlists on.

Never managed to get connecteddrive to work just says it could not connect to the network.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 02:44 PM   #10
Thewrench86
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 \M sport. F06 640d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben.bell1987 View Post
Bought an old iPhone 6s for the centre console with latest ios, results are:
Plugged in (good quality but not genuine cable)
Spotify - Album artwork works but no playlist control
Apple Music - Album artwork works and playlist control works

Looks like a Spotify issue which is annoying as thats what I subscribe to and have playlists on.

Never managed to get connecteddrive to work just says it could not connect to the network.
I was having similar issues with my android device. Bought an iPhone 6 plus its integrated well. Sometimes all I have to do after I've started the car is open the centre console and touch I'd unlock the iphone and about 20 10 seconds later music is playing the last track I had on. Other times I have to unlock and wait till the bmw spotify notification comes on and dismiss it then music will play via spotify app. Other times I get in the car dont do anything and music starts to play via spotify app. All the while when music does eventually play in either of the three ways mentioned album art is always present. I can control music via steering wheel. One quirk tho when I select menu in the spotify app on idrive it will say loading. It will proceed to say this indefinitely. However if I back out to the previous screen then select menu again after say about a minute it will load that menu of playlist recently played discover etc. Then I can select my downloaded playlists. I rarely hotspot my android device to play new tracks I just listen to my pre downloaded playlists. Maybe update once a few weeks when I update them. I'm.not sure if I had bought a ios13 compatible device it maybe different with loading times etc but it does the job. Album art such a minor detail.but it kinda is cool to go through all this hassle for it.
Appreciate 0