2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications JB4 and MHD maps

06-16-2019, 07:52 AM   #1
CC424
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i M Sport

I can't find a straight answer on this.....My current setup is a 14 msport 535i. I have modded the car with a VRSF downpipe and chargepipe. I have a Magnaflow axleback for exhaust. BMS highflow filter.

I have both a JB4 running the MHD tune. Now my question is do I need to purchase the MHD stage 2? I'm on the pwg race map that's offered free with JB4. The car runs good but nothing that's blowing my socks off.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 10:10 AM   #2
ziekxq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

You dont need MHD Stage 2. Thats for people who just want to run MHD without JB4.

With JB4 stack on top of MHD, Burger provides backend flash to allow more control. You can use custom tuners to built you a different backend flash but Burger provides free one that you already installed.

If you not looking to go meth injection or port injection than sell JB4 and get MHD Stage 2 or have a custom tuner like twisted tuning, wedge or pure boost build you a custom flash. Much better and smoother power delivery.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 10:28 AM   #3
CC424
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziekxq View Post
You dont need MHD Stage 2. Thats for people who just want to run MHD without JB4.

With JB4 stack on top of MHD, Burger provides backend flash to allow more control. You can use custom tuners to built you a different backend flash but Burger provides free one that you already installed.

If you not looking to go meth injection or port injection than sell JB4 and get MHD Stage 2 or have a custom tuner like twisted tuning, wedge or pure boost build you a custom flash. Much better and smoother power delivery.
If I get a custom tune then there's no reason for MHD??? I'll probably go the MHD stage 2 without JB4...just hate giving up the Bluetooth option to read gauges.

Does the provided BEF from JB4 just flash the DME does it not tune the car's values? Is it just stage 1. I want to take advantage of all my mods.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 10:42 AM   #4
ziekxq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC424 View Post
If I get a custom tune then there's no reason for MHD??? I'll probably go the MHD stage 2 without JB4...just hate giving up the Bluetooth option to read gauges.

Does the provided BEF from JB4 just flash the DME does it not tune the car's values? Is it just stage 1. I want to take advantage of all my mods.
No, you need MHD to load custom tune. You will not need JB4.

So you either do JB4 BEF + MHD or you yank JB4 out and just use MHD with their flash options or get a custom tune. Remember you can still get custom BEF to keep JB4 if you want, but personal opinion yank JB4 and go custom flash.

I am not 100 percent what BEF from JB4 does, but I am 99% sure it changes values in DME to allow JB4 more control.
Appreciate 1
CC42426.50
      06-16-2019, 11:05 AM   #5
CC424
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziekxq View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC424 View Post

No, you need MHD to load custom tune. You will not need JB4.

So you either do JB4 BEF + MHD or you yank JB4 out and just use MHD with their flash options or get a custom tune. Remember you can still get custom BEF to keep JB4 if you want, but personal opinion yank JB4 and go custom flash.

I am not 100 percent what BEF from JB4 does, but I am 99% sure it changes values in DME to allow JB4 more control.
Got it!! Appreciate the responses!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 04:12 AM   #6
Lord_E90
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

I recently did a jb4 with mhd backend flash and it's been working super good so far, realized that on full throttle or when I would launch the car that it would almost be gasping for air and the car couldn't breathe, figured that a cold air intake would solve it but just got the afe enclosed air intake and still having the issue of it not being able to breathe, any help would be appreciated

I have these mods
Vrsf Catless downpipe
Afe cold air intake
Jb4
Mhd backend flash
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 10:05 AM   #7
95blkmax
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 535 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10_Reaper View Post
I recently did a jb4 with mhd backend flash and it's been working super good so far, realized that on full throttle or when I would launch the car that it would almost be gasping for air and the car couldn't breathe, figured that a cold air intake would solve it but just got the afe enclosed air intake and still having the issue of it not being able to breathe, any help would be appreciated

I have these mods
Vrsf Catless downpipe
Afe cold air intake
Jb4
Mhd backend flash
That feeling of gasping for air shouldn't be there even if using the stock airbox (assuming the air filter wasn't fully clogged up).

So we know your mods, but where are you on maintenance? Typically that sort of sensation is derived from poor spark or poor cam timing (VANOS errors). How old are your spark plugs? Are you still running original coils? Are there any codes present?
      12-29-2020, 12:54 PM   #8
Lord_E90
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95blkmax View Post
Quote:

I have these mods
Vrsf Catless downpipe
Afe cold air intake
Jb4
Mhd backend flash
That feeling of gasping for air shouldn't be there even if using the stock airbox (assuming the air filter wasn't fully clogged up).

So we know your mods, but where are you on maintenance? Typically that sort of sensation is derived from poor spark or poor cam timing (VANOS errors). How old are your spark plugs? Are you still running original coils? Are there any codes present?
Quote:
Quote:

I have these mods
Vrsf Catless downpipe
Afe cold air intake
Jb4
Mhd backend flash

I bought the car in March and so far haven't done any maintenance as far as ignition goes, and when I floor it or do launch control it makes a huge burble but know realizing it, it could be misfiring and that's what the sound is, but the weird part is, I don't throw any codes, I'm gonna go with ngk 97506 2 step colder plugs and see if that changes it , if it doesn't im unsure about coil packs if you guys got any recommendations
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 04:43 PM   #9
95blkmax
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 535 M-Sport

Jesus dude all the modding and no maintenance!?!!? Gotta step that up lol. These cars don't like to be pushed without being prepped. When they remind you of such... it's typically an expensive reminder lol

Good call on the spark plugs. Be sure to close up the gap to .020"-.022" (I run them at .022"). For coils, Eldor are the best. You can find reviews on Eldors compared to the other coils on YT and Eldors are always the best. FCP Euro had them at only $33 each when I bought them. Much better than the $87 - $138 each at a dealership (and with FCP's lifetime warranty)
      12-29-2020, 06:13 PM   #10
Lord_E90
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Jesus dude all the modding and no maintenance!?!!? Gotta step that up lol. These cars don't like to be pushed without being prepped. When they remind you of such... it's typically an expensive reminder lol

Good call on the spark plugs. Be sure to close up the gap to .020"-.022" (I run them at .022"). For coils, Eldor are the best. You can find reviews on Eldors compared to the other coils on YT and Eldors are always the best. FCP Euro had them at only $33 each when I bought them. Much better than the $87 - $138 each at a dealership (and with FCP's lifetime warranty)
Do you have the part number ?
Appreciate 0