2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs Headlight Condensation

12-30-2018, 09:46 AM   #1
phatchuck
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

Headlight Condensation

Hey guys -- New BMW owner here. Just got a 2011 535i xDrive.

I've been reading old thread about the apparently very common issue of headlight condensation. My driver's side headligt is full of it. My plan for now is to use the hairdrier method to clear out what's in there and to tape some silica gel packets in the round assembly cap. But I do have one question about the drying part -- If I'm just going to blow hot air in the casing from that initial round opening, do I need to remove the bulb in order to let the air freely go into the face of the headlght where the moisture is? The videos on You Tube imply not to, but how will the hot air get in the casing? There is also the option of heating the casing from the outside. Has anyone tried that and can that solve it?

I know this won't fix the problem permanently, but if I can get this water out now I can live with some occaisional maintenance. The outer casing has a very subtle crack (can only see it up very close) which is where the moisture is probably coming from.

Thanks in advance for any input.
      12-30-2018, 10:16 AM   #2
etnsandman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 Competition

I have Done this a couple of times since I really don't have the desire to pull and reseal the headlights. Just pull the round black plugs and let her run until it's dry. Mine stay condensation free if I just leave the caps off. If I put the caps on the will gather moisture again.

Is there a reseal your F10 headlights DIY? I run without the caps these days.
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2018, 10:26 AM   #3
phatchuck
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by etnsandman View Post
I have Done this a couple of times since I really don't have the desire to pull and reseal the headlights. Just pull the round black plugs and let her run until it's dry. Mine stay condensation free if I just leave the caps off. If I put the caps on the will gather moisture again.

Is there a reseal your F10 headlights DIY? I run without the caps these days.
Thanks for the reply. Are the round black plugs you mention the screw off caps? There is one under the little trim door you pop up that is just under the hood on top. I know there is also another one basically in front of the wheel. So you just drove with those caps off?
      12-30-2018, 10:41 AM   #4
etnsandman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 Competition

I drive with the top ones under the trim flap open. I'd probably reconsider if I lived in a very rainy part of the world.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 06:41 AM   #5
Dexter1991
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F10 Msport

No usual caps on my headlights

Hi Guys,

I'm having the same problem with the condensation but there is a thing. There are no usual caps as seen on other people pics. Mine looks more like in the attached photo. Does anyone know if this is removable?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 04:56 PM   #6
BillionYou
Rep
Drives: f10 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter1991 View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm having the same problem with the condensation but there is a thing. There are no usual caps as seen on other people pics. Mine looks more like in the attached photo. Does anyone know if this is removable?
I think the caps in bottom of headlights
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 09:50 PM   #7
ChiltiCoatl89
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 BMW 535i M Sport

Garage List
I have a similar issue with the driver side on my 2016, I may possibly have to replace a module or some part of the entire assembly because I got the adaptive light fault. it condensates quite a bit.

Last edited by ChiltiCoatl89; 07-01-2023 at 10:29 PM..
Appreciate 0