2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 2013 535i Msport - squeal at idle when stopping

06-05-2019, 05:30 PM   #1
o4s1s
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 535i M Sport

2013 535i Msport - squeal at idle when stopping

Hi all,

I am new to BMW and this 5 series is an awesome car for me. With 3 kids a wife its a 'sensible' family car with great performance, I love it.

So, i started hearing what sounds like a low rotational belt squeal sound when coming to a stop. It does not happen all the time and it does not happen upon start up. Only happens right as I am about to come to a complete stop the sound will then continue until the engine shuts off (Start/Stop feature).

I had my indy mechanic look at it but I think they focused on the various pressure release valves and the engine seals thinking perhaps it was a faulty valve or engine case seal. They were unable to duplicate the noise or discover any obvious issue and gave it back to me after an oil change and wash. Told me to bring it back if it gets worse.

I have done a little bit of troubleshooting and the only thing I found that is reliably reproducible is this:

With Engine Start/Stop feature ON the noise starts just before coming to a complete stop with idle speed RPM. When I keep the brake pedal moving but not letting the car move(preventing Start/Stop engine shutdown) while stopped the sound will continue. When the engine shuts down the noise stops. If I turn OFF the engine Start/Stop feature while the squeal is occurring it stops immediately. If i have the Start/Stop OFF the squeal never happens.

I tried to do a little research online on how the Stop/Start feature actually works mechanically and electrically and was not able to discover that information.

I guess i am asking for some suggestions or related experiences or if anyone knows how the Start/Stop feature actually works (ie, does it use a pulley and belt in someway? Is it purely computer controlled) would be well received.

Thank you for your time reading through this.

o4s1s
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 08:28 PM   #2
wcr3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport

Purely computer.
Since you can reproduce it, show the wife how and have a look, more of a hear under the hood. You're checking for belt squeal or possibly tensioner squealing.
Then while it is off look at the belt again, they tend to get a "gloss" on them when they have been squealing. You should also look around areas for oil leaks that might be dripping on the belt. Fairly common problem.
Appreciate 1
o4s1s1.00
      06-05-2019, 08:34 PM   #3
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

A couple of things come to mind. Any kind of screeching or squealing makes me think failed CCV. In that case the screech is air being sucked past your front and rear main seals. To test, when it's making the noise while the engine is idling, open the oil filler cap. If you have massive vacuum and the noise stops - that's it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIMpIAkWeNI

If you have PWG (pneumatic wastegate) N55, a variant could be a failure of the turbo pressure convertor. It usually makes a buzz/moo sound (I've gone through 4-5 of these things and it's going on me again). Because vacuum and a failed membrane is involved, I supposed certain failures could squeal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIMpIAkWeNI

I find that blipping the throttle when it is doing it makes it stop. The sound will come from outside of the engine on the exhaust side. I don't think the oil filler cap test would change the sound, but I'm not positive. I'll try it some time.
Appreciate 1
o4s1s1.00