2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 2011 F10 Power Steering Leak From Cap and Foaming

02-04-2019, 01:49 PM   #1
shawntx
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

Garage List
2011 F10 Power Steering Leak From Cap and Foaming

I have a 2011 550i RWD

Power Steering fluid has been leaking quite a bit out of the cap. I bought a new genuine BMW cap and replaced the old one. I still have the same problem. No matter if I tighten to spec or even tighten it more than spec.

It doesn't seem to leak much if at all unless I drive it and get the engine hot.

When it's cold it's right at the 20C temp line.

When I start the engine cold with the cap off, I immediately see foam and bubbles without touching the steering wheel or anything. Is that normal?

This is total speculation, but it appears too much pressure is building up in the system forcing fluid to seep out of the cap where it seals. Why does it bubble and foam from a cold start with cap off and no steering movement. There are no cracks at all in the reservoir around the cap, and no leaks under the car or drips on ground where I always park it. I am wiping fluid a lot from the cap area.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 01:59 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawntx View Post
I have a 2011 550i RWD

Power Steering fluid has been leaking quite a bit out of the cap. I bought a new genuine BMW cap and replaced the old one. I still have the same problem. No matter if I tighten to spec or even tighten it more than spec.

It doesn't seem to leak much if at all unless I drive it and get the engine hot.

When it's cold it's right at the 20C temp line.

When I start the engine cold with the cap off, I immediately see foam and bubbles without touching the steering wheel or anything. Is that normal?

This is total speculation, but it appears too much pressure is building up in the system forcing fluid to seep out of the cap where it seals. Why does it bubble and foam from a cold start with cap off and no steering movement. There are no cracks at all in the reservoir around the cap, and no leaks under the car or drips on ground where I always park it. I am wiping fluid a lot from the cap area.

Are you absolutely sure it's power steering fluid? IIRC, only the X-Drive's have mechanical power steering. The RWD's have electric power steering with no hydraulic fluid reservoir.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 03:01 PM   #3
shawntx
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Are you absolutely sure it's power steering fluid? IIRC, only the X-Drive's have mechanical power steering. The RWD's have electric power steering with no hydraulic fluid reservoir.

For sure not X Drive
Here is a pic of the reservoir. And also the bubbles/foam the instant you start it cold without the cap.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 04:06 PM   #4
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Do you have the hydraulic shocks (I can't remember the nomenclature)?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 06:49 PM   #5
shawntx
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Do you have the hydraulic shocks (I can't remember the nomenclature)?
Its a pretty basic 550i. No X drive.

Has the ability to set suspension mode to sport+, sport, normal, and comfort suspension. Is that Dynamic Drive? Is that was the cha 11 s reservoir is for since you say I should have electric steering?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 07:07 PM   #6
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Its a pretty basic 550i. No X drive.

Has the ability to set suspension mode to sport+, sport, normal, and comfort suspension. Is that Dynamic Drive? Is that was the cha 11 s reservoir is for since you say I should have electric steering?
Put the last 7 of your VIN here. That should tell you all your options... I've been searching and I can't seem to find any description for that reservoir. What does it say on the cap?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 08:03 PM   #7
shawntx
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Put the last 7 of your VIN here. That should tell you all your options... I've been searching and I can't seem to find any description for that reservoir. What does it say on the cap?
Wheels And Drive
S205A Automatic Transmission
S223A Electronic Damper Control EDC
S229A Dynamic Drive
S255A Sports Leather Steering Wheel
S258A Tire With Runflat Functionality
S2VAA ADAPTIVE DRIVE
S2VBA REIFENDRUCKANZEIGE
S2WCA LM RAEDER WSPEICHE 332MB
S212A Equipment Brake Syst Countryspecific
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 10:18 PM   #8
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wheels And Drive
S205A Automatic Transmission
S223A Electronic Damper Control EDC
S229A Dynamic Drive
S255A Sports Leather Steering Wheel
S258A Tire With Runflat Functionality
S2VAA ADAPTIVE DRIVE
S2VBA REIFENDRUCKANZEIGE
S2WCA LM RAEDER WSPEICHE 332MB
S212A Equipment Brake Syst Countryspecific
Ahhhhh..... I'l bet that's your EDC reservoir. That would lead me to believe there's a leak in the system. Check your shocks for any oil leakage.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 11:50 AM   #9
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Ahhhhh..... I'l bet that's your EDC reservoir. That would lead me to believe there's a leak in the system. Check your shocks for any oil leakage.
Hydraulic pump is used for Dynamic Drive/ARS, (active roll stabilisation) part of Adaptive Drive. I wonder if the level was low (possible leak) and now you have air in the system.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 08:32 PM   #10
NinetyEight740
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2 - 2013 535i msport

Garage List
2010 E91  [0.00]
It’s the “power steering pump”, I’ve seen this on a couple cars now.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 10:54 PM   #11
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetyEight740 View Post
Except only X-Drives have hydraulic steering. The RWDers have electric assisted power steering with no reservoir or fluid.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 07:38 AM   #12
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetyEight740 View Post
Non xDrive models with EPS can also have a similar pump and oil reservoir, if they are optioned with Adaptive Drive.

My car is 'electric' steering, but has the hydraulic system as well for AD.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 04:44 PM   #13
paul223
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

Only F10 x drive and M models have hydraulic steering. CHF 11s is hydraulic fluid. Your car must have active hydraulic sway bars.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-18-2019, 09:58 AM   #14
chrisdrascic
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xdrive

same issue

Shawntx, did you ever figure out what was causing this issue for you? I have the exact same problem on my 535 right now. Dealer has yet to be able diagnose what is causing it. I am getting an Chassis error code as well on longer drivers as it heats up.

Other other systems seem fine and steering and dynamic drive work as expected. BMW Technical service Engineer did not think the Power Steering pump was causing it. All the Racks are bone dry and dont seem to be leaking.

Any information is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 01:16 PM   #15
wdhilliard
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i - Titanium Silve

This started happening to me after a local German auto shop in Houston had done a lot of work on my vehicle. Any time the car got up to temperature, the reservoir started to overflow. This happened faster when the car was in SPORT mode. They replaced the reservoir without any luck. Another mechanic did the same and was not able to further diagnose any issues. I took it in to my local BMW dealer and they replaced a couple hoses, but the problem persisted. They eventually suggested replacing the pump - a $2700 job. I messaged some others on here and they all said that they replaced the pump. I sourced the pump and all hardware for $900 and had another highly recommended mechanic do the labor for $900. I have now driven my car from Austin to Dallas and back without a drip coming from the cap.

If your reservoir is leaking from the cap, run the car for 15min in SPORT mode with dynamic suspension turned on. Then park the car and keep it running. Unscrew the cap (you may have to buy an unusually large hex to do this) and look at the fluid coming back from the return line. If you see foamy greenish-yellow fluid coming from the line, the pump is likely faulty and somehow sucking air into the line. After removing the old pump from my vehicle, neither I nor my mechanic could see any obvious issues. There was no fluid leaking from the pump beforehand either.

I replaced the following parts, but I might suggest replacing just the suction pipe, o-ring, and the reservoir first before replacing the pump if you are willing to experiment. You may be able to save the price of installing a new pump The reservoir has a built in particle filter which is nearly impossible to clean out. I drove my car with this light coming on intermittently for over a year and a half before I got it fixed.

32416850590 - Hydraulic pump
32416799933 - Suction pipe
32416784079 - Cover
32416788696 - O-ring
07119906651 - Fillister-head screw X 2
22116769558 - ASA-Bolt X 3
32427574840 - Hex bolt with washer X 3

It should also be noted that after replacing these parts, the car should have the proper bleed and startup procedure run on it using ISTA or something similar. This is an active procedure where the ARS system engages and rolls the body side to side.

Last edited by wdhilliard; 07-19-2021 at 01:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2022, 03:08 PM   #16
SuperPhiloz
Registered
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 535iA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdhilliard View Post
This started happening to me after a local German auto shop in Houston had done a lot of work on my vehicle. Any time the car got up to temperature, the reservoir started to overflow. This happened faster when the car was in SPORT mode. They replaced the reservoir without any luck. Another mechanic did the same and was not able to further diagnose any issues. I took it in to my local BMW dealer and they replaced a couple hoses, but the problem persisted. They eventually suggested replacing the pump - a $2700 job. I messaged some others on here and they all said that they replaced the pump. I sourced the pump and all hardware for $900 and had another highly recommended mechanic do the labor for $900. I have now driven my car from Austin to Dallas and back without a drip coming from the cap.

If your reservoir is leaking from the cap, run the car for 15min in SPORT mode with dynamic suspension turned on. Then park the car and keep it running. Unscrew the cap (you may have to buy an unusually large hex to do this) and look at the fluid coming back from the return line. If you see foamy greenish-yellow fluid coming from the line, the pump is likely faulty and somehow sucking air into the line. After removing the old pump from my vehicle, neither I nor my mechanic could see any obvious issues. There was no fluid leaking from the pump beforehand either.

I replaced the following parts, but I might suggest replacing just the suction pipe, o-ring, and the reservoir first before replacing the pump if you are willing to experiment. You may be able to save the price of installing a new pump The reservoir has a built in particle filter which is nearly impossible to clean out. I drove my car with this light coming on intermittently for over a year and a half before I got it fixed.

32416850590 - Hydraulic pump
32416799933 - Suction pipe
32416784079 - Cover
32416788696 - O-ring
07119906651 - Fillister-head screw X 2
22116769558 - ASA-Bolt X 3
32427574840 - Hex bolt with washer X 3

It should also be noted that after replacing these parts, the car should have the proper bleed and startup procedure run on it using ISTA or something similar. This is an active procedure where the ARS system engages and rolls the body side to side.

Hello,

I had the same problem with my 2010 535iA after a mechanic at Midas heated up my steering linkage with a blowtorch to loosen it up for the alignment. I first changed the cap without success.

Finally, my mechanic also suggested me to replace the reservoir before going any further and everything has been fine since then! Reservoir price: 130€

I wanted to respond to this post that helped me a lot. Thank you!
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2022, 11:03 PM   #17
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPhiloz View Post
Hello,

I had the same problem with my 2010 535iA after a mechanic at Midas heated up my steering linkage with a blowtorch to loosen it up for the alignment. I first changed the cap without success.

Finally, my mechanic also suggested me to replace the reservoir before going any further and everything has been fine since then! Reservoir price: 130€

I wanted to respond to this post that helped me a lot. Thank you!
I wouldn't let Midas "mechanics" touch my lawnmower, let alone a finely engineered vehicle like our BMW's!
Appreciate 0