2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Oil pressure error threw. Car shut down 1 minute later

02-11-2019, 04:24 PM   #23
nos4seasons
Rep
Drives: BMW 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nos4seasons View Post
Thing is, foolishly, I haven't kept up with oil changes and servicing the way I should have. It might put me in a tight spot moving forward.
What exactly do you mean by this? No oil changes, oil changes after 2 years? Ignoring low oil warning? Oil pumps usually fail if oil is not maintained properly.
Good question. I am 3K miles over last preferred oil change date.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 05:25 PM   #24
n3985
Lieutenant
China
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 + F10

Quote:
Date aside, how many miles on the last oil change?
      02-11-2019, 05:27 PM   #25
nos4seasons
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3985 View Post
Quote:
Date aside, how many miles on the last oil change?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 08:15 PM   #26
BigKutta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 528i

Garage List
2012 528i  [0.00]
2012 BMW 528i  [0.00]
Quote:
That's ok, but hopefully its not over a year since the last one
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 08:02 AM   #27
Surly73
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi 8AT

Quote:
Well. BMW says needs new engine. Oil pump malfunctioned, or something similar, and they're saying 11K cost on engine. This is the absolute worst case scenario. I mean. BMW corporate out of the question now? Sigh. Please advise
That really stinks. I know your model of engine has had a few problems and maybe you'll get somewhere working with corporate. To me, someone who doesn't have that particular engine and is not 100% familiar with the various issues, I'd like to point something out which no one else has yet...

Quote:
So driving on the highway yesterday, my F10 2012 threw an oil pressure error. Basically told me to stop the car.

I drove for maybe 50 seconds

Never ignore an oil pressure warning.

I'm not sure why you kept driving, and your later comments say you didn't do scheduled oil changes either (and the factory schedule is already very long).

If you had shut down the car like it told you to, you may have only needed a new oil pump, then had some SIB work performed, and been back on the road. You may, truly, have had an oil pump failure (for whatever reason) and it had nothing to do with the other common problems with your engine model. Things fail - and, if memory serves correct, a lot of these engines have electric oil pumps, so it becomes even more likely that the oil pump could fail all on its own.

PSA - ALWAYS heed oil pressure warnings. You can save yourself a lot of grief and prevent things from getting really bad.

Unfortunately - failing to react to a clear warnings of loss of oil pressure and instructions to stop the car is 100% the responsibility of the driver. It would be an uphill battle to shift the responsibility for that to anyone else...

You may be able to work some deals to reduce the cost, or look at alternative engines and mechanics. There have been a couple of threads around from 550 owners who have replaced engines.

Last edited by Surly73; 02-12-2019 at 08:13 AM.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 08:55 AM   #28
nos4seasons
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
Quote:
Well. BMW says needs new engine. Oil pump malfunctioned, or something similar, and they're saying 11K cost on engine. This is the absolute worst case scenario. I mean. BMW corporate out of the question now? Sigh. Please advise
That really stinks. I know your model of engine has had a few problems and maybe you'll get somewhere working with corporate. To me, someone who doesn't have that particular engine and is not 100% familiar with the various issues, I'd like to point something out which no one else has yet...

Quote:
So driving on the highway yesterday, my F10 2012 threw an oil pressure error. Basically told me to stop the car.

I drove for maybe 50 seconds

Never ignore an oil pressure warning.

I'm not sure why you kept driving, and your later comments say you didn't do scheduled oil changes either (and the factory schedule is already very long).

If you had shut down the car like it told you to, you may have only needed a new oil pump, then had some SIB work performed, and been back on the road. You may, truly, have had an oil pump failure (for whatever reason) and it had nothing to do with the other common problems with your engine model. Things fail - and, if memory serves correct, a lot of these engines have electric oil pumps, so it becomes even more likely that the oil pump could fail all on its own.

PSA - ALWAYS heed oil pressure warnings. You can save yourself a lot of grief and prevent things from getting really bad.

Unfortunately - failing to react to a clear warnings of loss of oil pressure and instructions to stop the car is 100% the responsibility of the driver. It would be an uphill battle to shift the responsibility for that to anyone else...

You may be able to work some deals to reduce the cost, or look at alternative engines and mechanics. There have been a couple of threads around from 550 owners who have replaced engines.
Yes. Good point. But it wasn't ignored. I just couldn't stop right away safely.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 08:36 PM   #29
nos4seasons
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thing is, foolishly, I haven't kept up with oil changes and servicing the way I should have. It might put me in a tight spot moving forward.
What exactly do you mean by this? No oil changes, oil changes after 2 years? Ignoring low oil warning? Oil pumps usually fail if oil is not maintained properly.
Well. I'm within 15K oil change interval BMW suggests. I guess I feel like I should have changed oil at 6K intervals.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 11:07 AM   #30
BigKutta
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2012 528i  [0.00]
2012 BMW 528i  [0.00]
Quote:
Well. I'm within 15K oil change interval BMW suggests. I guess I feel like I should have changed oil at 6K intervals.
So, what's the story? What is the dealer or BMW saying/doing?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 11:08 AM   #31
nos4seasons
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
So, what's the story? What is the dealer or BMW saying/doing?
Dealer is saying 11K engine replacement. BMW NA is collection information on the case to SEE if they can assist in any way.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 11:16 AM   #32
BigKutta
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2012 528i  [0.00]
2012 BMW 528i  [0.00]
Quote:
Dealer is saying 11K engine replacement. BMW NA is collection information on the case to SEE if they can assist in any way.
Ok. Lets hope they come through for you
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 03:12 PM   #33
nos4seasons
Rep

Quote:
Ok. Lets hope they come through for you
Let's hope. They know I know the SIB ( SIB 11 03 17 ). They know I know N20 engines have had known issues.

They know I know they redesigned the timing chain in later models BECAUSE OF THIS.

I'm not going to let them screw me here.
Appreciate 0