2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum BMW N63 engine service action (Service Bulletin B001314)

01-04-2019, 01:47 AM   #375
Kyngofpop
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 4

***Update and Cross-thread from another pose***

Update on my case: Got the car back today and had a conference with the dealers GM, the Service Mgr, and the tech that went through and serviced my car. My claim for the valve stem seals was denied because unbeknownst to me there is a slight oil leak from the bell housing and the upper oil pan and that's one caveat of the lawsuit.

While the smoking from the extended idle was present they checked the Turbo's and noticed "slight scratching" was present but there wasn't anything detrimental to the performance or service of the vehicle.

The timing chains were checked again (had them checked at 70k and 105k under the CCP) and they noticed a "slight noise" was present upon startup" but they passed ISTA test several times.

Compression tests on ALL cylinders were performed and revealed the vehicle passed within 10 PSI! Bore Scope on the engine valley revealed no excessive oil buildup at all.

The ISTA showed the previous misfires that were present but I'm aware of that and am attributing that to my HPFP that'll be fixed on my next service.

They ALL reassured me that my vehicle is mechanically SOUND and that my motor isn't going to just randomly die on me. Other than the oil consumption and the two leaks that they found that the car is otherwise ok and I'm kind of secure with that.

I'll admit that all of the stories of N63 horror had me terrified but BMW has really, REALLY ponied up to correct these issues and/or at least address them even at my late mileage (118k). I don't think another manufacturer would even bother, even with the terms of the lawsuit.

Hope this helps someone that's terrified that their car is a pos feel a tad more secure in their ownership.

Good luck...
      01-04-2019, 12:12 PM   #376
sison550
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 550i 2012 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyngofpop View Post
***Update and Cross-thread from another pose***

Update on my case: Got the car back today and had a conference with the dealers GM, the Service Mgr, and the tech that went through and serviced my car. My claim for the valve stem seals was denied because unbeknownst to me there is a slight oil leak from the bell housing and the upper oil pan and that's one caveat of the lawsuit.

While the smoking from the extended idle was present they checked the Turbo's and noticed "slight scratching" was present but there wasn't anything detrimental to the performance or service of the vehicle.

The timing chains were checked again (had them checked at 70k and 105k under the CCP) and they noticed a "slight noise" was present upon startup" but they passed ISTA test several times.

Compression tests on ALL cylinders were performed and revealed the vehicle passed within 10 PSI! Bore Scope on the engine valley revealed no excessive oil buildup at all.

The ISTA showed the previous misfires that were present but I'm aware of that and am attributing that to my HPFP that'll be fixed on my next service.

They ALL reassured me that my vehicle is mechanically SOUND and that my motor isn't going to just randomly die on me. Other than the oil consumption and the two leaks that they found that the car is otherwise ok and I'm kind of secure with that.

I'll admit that all of the stories of N63 horror had me terrified but BMW has really, REALLY ponied up to correct these issues and/or at least address them even at my late mileage (118k). I don't think another manufacturer would even bother, even with the terms of the lawsuit.

Hope this helps someone that's terrified that their car is a pos feel a tad more secure in their ownership.

Good luck...
thanks for the update. I also saw your update on the FB group.
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      02-11-2019, 10:31 AM   #377
Johnebrenner
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i x-drive

My 2013 550i went in for repairs after failing the oil consumption test. The dealership had my car for almost 2 months. They gave me a loaner while they had it. But, within a week of getting my car back it is idling rough, the rpms are bouncing up and down while idling and the car has now thrown a check engine light. It’s already scheduled to go back into the shop. I am just sharing my experience this far.

I am curious, has anyone else thought about the long term effects on these engines from ingesting this much oil into the cylinders? Even with this repair the engine has probably lost a certain amount of life. Also, our vehicle aren’t worth anything. I thought I got a decent deal when I bought mine CPO but, it is currently worth UNDER 20k! It was nearly 80k new 5.5 years ago and I literally just paid off the $32k I had left on the loan in October! Everyone that bought one of these cars has certainly lost value. What really bothers me is that plausibility that BMW knee of these issues and intentionally hid them. When I purchased in 2015 they already knew these engine were problematic yet those details weren’t made known. My car was idling rough and burning oil (which was noted in service reports when my vehicle went to the shop) within week of me buying it.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 11:45 AM   #378
BloomingtonFPV
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xdrive

{I paid $27,000 for an immaculate 2011 M-sport 550ix 3 years ago with 86k miles. Did the turbos, coolant lines, transmission fluid, brakes, starter, etc. Sold it 2.5 years later at 98k miles for $14,000 and felt lucky to get rid of it. It was a ticking time bomb. I feel bad for others in this situation, and I feel your pain.}
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      02-12-2019, 09:52 PM   #379
fastfreddie63
Rep
Drives: BMW 550xi, AMG C63

Hello all,

I'm new here but need to chime in. I have a 2012 550xi with 92,606 miles.

Brought it in several times to the dealer for excess oil consumption and to inquire about what BMW was going to do for me because I had received the lawsuit notice only to have the dealer tell me over and over that they did NOT have guidance from BMW yet.

Returning to the dealer at year end they finally told me to bring it it for an oil consumption test. During the second round of testing this week the car had used 1.86ml of oil per mile over 1,019 miles between testing intervals. This is equal to just a hair over 2 quarts; so it has failed the test since the spec is 750 miles per quart. They also state the timing chains is out of spec. They recommend a new short block engine.

My portion is about $5,700 since I NOW fall to the 40% shared responsibility tier. This is absolute crap since it was brought in to the dealer way before I turned 90k. Even more crap that we have to suffer with the extreme oil consumption, battery failures, and constant turbo cooling lines leaking.

Anything not internal to the engine is reused including turbos, water pump, alternator; etc.

I am thinking if I have them replace the engine (heck what choice do I have since the car is worthless as is) what other parts should be changed since they will be easy to do with the engine out.

My thought was motor mounts, water pump. Anything else?

Very unhappy driver. I am missing terribly my CLS55!

Freddie
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 07:51 AM   #380
ryanjv
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: N63 F10, M42 E30, MZR BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfreddie63 View Post
Hello all,

I'm new here but need to chime in. I have a 2012 550xi with 92,606 miles.

Brought it in several times to the dealer for excess oil consumption and to inquire about what BMW was going to do for me because I had received the lawsuit notice only to have the dealer tell me over and over that they did NOT have guidance from BMW yet.

Returning to the dealer at year end they finally told me to bring it it for an oil consumption test. During the second round of testing this week the car had used 1.86ml of oil per mile over 1,019 miles between testing intervals. This is equal to just a hair over 2 quarts; so it has failed the test since the spec is 750 miles per quart. They also state the timing chains is out of spec. They recommend a new short block engine.

My portion is about $5,700 since I NOW fall to the 40% shared responsibility tier. This is absolute crap since it was brought in to the dealer way before I turned 90k. Even more crap that we have to suffer with the extreme oil consumption, battery failures, and constant turbo cooling lines leaking.

Anything not internal to the engine is reused including turbos, water pump, alternator; etc.

I am thinking if I have them replace the engine (heck what choice do I have since the car is worthless as is) what other parts should be changed since they will be easy to do with the engine out.

My thought was motor mounts, water pump. Anything else?

Very unhappy driver. I am missing terribly my CLS55!

Freddie
What ended up happening in your case? What did it cost you?

My 2011 550i has about 92k on it and last week while i pulled out of my driveway, i got the "drivetrain malfunction" error then the car just died. It's cranking but won't start. Tried pulling codes but it's clean. Not sure if it could be due to this bulletin

I'll likely need to tow it to the dealer and i'm dreading that
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 12:59 PM   #381
philipm785
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i

Cranking without starting = fuel pump maybe?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 12:30 AM   #382
N63f10550i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i msport

I'm in the same boat they have had mine since the firat week of November...any update on your engine
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 12:53 PM   #383
elmasry17
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW x5 50!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N63f10550i View Post
I'm in the same boat they have had mine since the firat week of November...any update on your engine
Just got my 2011 x5 50i back from the dealer with the remanufactured engine and took it easy for the 1500 miles and the car runs like never before. I did change the oil after the first 200 Miles with liqui moly 5w 40 and changed another one at 700 miles with same brand. Now i can tell there is definitely a Better performance and improved throttle response. All i can say now is wooooow

Im satisfied now!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 05:41 PM   #384
fastfreddie63
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjv View Post
What ended up happening in your case? What did it cost you?

My 2011 550i has about 92k on it and last week while i pulled out of my driveway, i got the "drivetrain malfunction" error then the car just died. It's cranking but won't start. Tried pulling codes but it's clean. Not sure if it could be due to this bulletin

I'll likely need to tow it to the dealer and i'm dreading that
Update...car is in the shop getting a new long block. Based on the settlement my odometer was at 93k so I pay 55%; or $5800. I got a call yesterday and went to see my friendly stealership and after teardown and review they have an additional bill for $6300!!!!!!!!! (I have pictures) Turbo wastegates are bad and they will not rebuild them and if I take them there is a $300 core charge each. This is $2500 in parts only since they already have the old ones off. All coolant hoses are needing replacement (of course because of the heat), belts, oil turbo lines (of course), aux. water pump, starter, battery, trans. cooler hoses, inlet tubes for turbos, intake manifold pressor sensor, drain tubes, coils.

So about $12k thanks BMW. I could have bought back my 2006 CLS55 for that amount.

Last edited by fastfreddie63; 04-18-2019 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: addition
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 05:46 PM   #385
fastfreddie63
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmasry17 View Post
Just got my 2011 x5 50i back from the dealer with the remanufactured engine and took it easy for the 1500 miles and the car runs like never before. I did change the oil after the first 200 Miles with liqui moly 5w 40 and changed another one at 700 miles with same brand. Now i can tell there is definitely a Better performance and improved throttle response. All i can say now is wooooow

Im satisfied now!
What additional items were replaced? Coils? Injectors? How much did it cost you at what mileage? Why 5w40? 2012 N63 calls for 0w30. I take it that liqui moly meets Euro oil spec 229.5 right?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 07:49 AM   #386
elmasry17
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfreddie63 View Post
What additional items were replaced? Coils? Injectors? How much did it cost you at what mileage? Why 5w40? 2012 N63 calls for 0w30. I take it that liqui moly meets Euro oil spec 229.5 right?
Hello,

I had 71,000k but at 64,000k i failed the oil consumption test many times before the settlement back in July 2018. When the settlement came through my service advisor noted everything in the system and contacted bmwna telling them that my car failed oil consumption test at 64k so bmwna agreed to charge me at 20% which came about $3165 tax included. All coils were replaced free of charge but the fuel injectors were not replaced since it was all replaced b4 with the newer version since i have 10 years or 120k warranty on injectors. They did recommend to replace some hoses because they were leaking fluids from coolant and turbo coolers and since the engine was out i only pay for parts no labor costs and they discounted the parts for me at 50% which came about $550 to replace engine coolant hoses and turbo coolant hoses and oil something hoses which i cant recall exactly. The master technician recommended to use 5w40 because n63 engines burns oil quickly and 5w40 is thicker than 0w30 and after using 5w40 liqui moly i have to agree that the oil consumption is way less and performance better. Yes liqui moly meets bmw oil specs. I highly recommend it. If u have more questions please feel free to ask. Oh one more thing, i believe the turbo lag is gone
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 10:13 PM   #387
N63f10550i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i msport

I just got mine back after it being at the dealership since nov. Would have cost me about 5600 but since i had route 66 i cost me zilch, very grateful to them over the many cars ive had insured thru them. I was also provided a rental during that time. They mentioned there is no break in period and engine comes with 3 year 50k mile warranty.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 06:54 AM   #388
elmasry17
Private
Rep

Quote:
I just got mine back after it being at the dealership since nov. Would have cost me about 5600 but since i had route 66 i cost me zilch, very grateful to them over the many cars ive had insured thru them. I was also provided a rental during that time. They mentioned there is no break in period and engine comes with 3 year 50k mile warranty.
But bmw parts including engine are covered 2 years unlimited miles warranty. So i don't know how its covered for 3 years and set to 50k miles. Is route 66 a bmw dealership or third party warranty?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 06:57 AM   #389
elmasry17
Private
Rep

Quote:

And how did they tell you that there's no break in? The shop foreman told me that i need to follow the break in instructions for better engine performance in thefuture and engine protection as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 01:13 PM   #390
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmasry17 View Post
...Is route 66 a BMW dealership or third party warranty?
It's a 3rd party warranty company available from (most) credit unions.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 04:59 PM   #391
Silverfleet
Registered
Rep
Drives: ‘13 550i ‘05 4.8iS

Recently purchased 2013 F10. Took it to local dealer a week later. They saw smoke so they replaced stem and other seals. Took less than 2 weeks including a few days of diagnosis. I was also told no break in. 54k miles. All covered. No warranty. Wish this would have been available for my N62.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 12:52 PM   #392
fastfreddie63
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
It's a 3rd party warranty company available from (most) credit unions.

Wish I had heard of Route 66. I tried Car Shield for a few months but found it would not cover much at all.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 08:13 PM   #393
apaolo1993
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Angry HELP!!!

So i am having my N63 engine looked at for the Class Action Lawsuit, and when i wad driving home from Mammoth, the engine light came on but nothing happened. So when i took it in, they said they needed to figure out the problem before they could run the oil consumption test. They said that there was no code, just the light. They said they got the light to go away, filled it with oil and gave it back to me, saying bring it back in 1k mi or when the oil light comes back on. Conveniently, the next day, i'm accelerating on the highway, and i get an engine malfunction light that comes on and the car starts idling hard. I bring it back, and they tell me after looking, that they switched the spark plugs around when testing originally, and after looking at it, i have a spark plug that's bad. So now they are saying it's going to cost me $347 to replace ONE spark plug!! And it's not included in the engine replacement if it comes to that because they put the old ones back in after replacing the engine. I now am in a situation where if i want to replace just one, which he said could cause the rest to misfire, in order to finish the oil consumption test which is maybe 500 miles worth of driving at this point, i now have to pay to pay to get this fixed first. This seems very fishy to me, as i never had any issues with that until they started moving shit around. Can anyone help me out with intel on this, as well as any recs of a place i can go to get the one plug replaced just to finish this oil consumption test so i can pay $3k for a new engine?..... Thanks in advance guys. I really appreciate it. This Bimmer has been a nightmare from day 1 ughhh.....
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 08:56 PM   #394
550bye
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [5.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by apaolo1993 View Post
So i am having my N63 engine looked at for the Class Action Lawsuit, and when i wad driving home from Mammoth, the engine light came on but nothing happened. So when i took it in, they said they needed to figure out the problem before they could run the oil consumption test. They said that there was no code, just the light. They said they got the light to go away, filled it with oil and gave it back to me, saying bring it back in 1k mi or when the oil light comes back on. Conveniently, the next day, i'm accelerating on the highway, and i get an engine malfunction light that comes on and the car starts idling hard. I bring it back, and they tell me after looking, that they switched the spark plugs around when testing originally, and after looking at it, i have a spark plug that's bad. So now they are saying it's going to cost me $347 to replace ONE spark plug!! And it's not included in the engine replacement if it comes to that because they put the old ones back in after replacing the engine. I now am in a situation where if i want to replace just one, which he said could cause the rest to misfire, in order to finish the oil consumption test which is maybe 500 miles worth of driving at this point, i now have to pay to pay to get this fixed first. This seems very fishy to me, as i never had any issues with that until they started moving shit around. Can anyone help me out with intel on this, as well as any recs of a place i can go to get the one plug replaced just to finish this oil consumption test so i can pay $3k for a new engine?..... Thanks in advance guys. I really appreciate it. This Bimmer has been a nightmare from day 1 ughhh.....
You should just replace the plugs yourself, it would cost you around $60-80 (FCPeuro.com or AutoZone, etc.), 1 to 1-1/2 hours of your time and a cold 6-pack. Your car has to be in 100% working order when the oil consumption test is completed, no CEL or DTM or faults that you may have. I was quoted $218 for 1 bank so your price of $347 seems high to me.

Recently I had a DTM, injectors 1 & 3 and a plug was fouled. Long story short, took my car in and they did the work w/o approval, The Dealership told me the car had to be in 100% working order to have the oil consumption test completed (BMWNA confirmed this).

Long story short, do the plugs yourself and take it back to them to do the oil consumption test, if they give you any grief about it then call BMWNA and throw a little fit. If the plug was going bad to begin with I don't think you will win that fight, they are not going to admit fault IMHO and you can replace all of them for their price of 1. The Dealership was much more responsive and helpful once I did that.

On another note, when I failed the oil consumption test I had the valve stems seals replaced. Engine replacement is not guaranteed, alot of these guys waiting on replacements waited 6 months or more or are still waiting for a replacement. When I spoke to the tech he said if a replacement was required everything internal was new/refurbished but I cannot speak on what actually happens.

I was able to get all of my seals, gaskets, oil lines, crankshaft vent hoses, bolts, motor mounts, oil, filter and a ton of stuff replaced when they did the valve stems seals. I have 6 pages of receipt for $14,000+ of work. But then again, some people have not been as lucky as I was able to be. Good luck and I hope you get her up and running again soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 10:39 AM   #395
Drez1985
Rep
Drives: 550i

Brought mine in 2 weeks ago, replacing everything as we speak. Although they refused to cover turbo coolant lines and other stuff that wasn’t related to the seals.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 01:25 PM   #396
Drez1985
Rep
Drives: 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drez1985 View Post
Brought mine in 2 weeks ago, replacing everything as we speak. Although they refused to cover turbo coolant lines and other stuff that wasn’t related to the seals.

This is what was done and I ended up paying $2200 for was not covered.
Can anyone tell me what they exactly did?
Appreciate 0