2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Dash Cam on F11

02-15-2019, 10:52 AM   #1
gh421
Registered
Rep
Drives: F11 BMW 520D

Dash Cam on F11

Hi All,

I recently did a really nice install on my dashcam and connected it to the fuse box in the trunk using a piggy back fuse. I used fuse no 147 which is the cig lighter fuse rated at 15amps.

It seems that this fuse is always on as when I get in the car it says there is unexpected battery drain. Can someone recommend me a fuse in the trunk to connect to that switches off when i lock the car?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 12:59 PM   #2
OrcaPod
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW F10 528i N52 engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh421 View Post
Hi All,

I recently did a really nice install on my dashcam and connected it to the fuse box in the trunk using a piggy back fuse. I used fuse no 147 which is the cig lighter fuse rated at 15amps.

It seems that this fuse is always on as when I get in the car it says there is unexpected battery drain. Can someone recommend me a fuse in the trunk to connect to that switches off when i lock the car?

Thanks
I used a cigarette lighter socket which is located under glovebox (in front passengers footwell) in my 2011 F10 for dashcam. Some models came with this option. Check if your car has it and perhaps you can use it to wire dashcam. It stays HOT for only about 10 min after car is turned off. And i never received "Unexpected battery drain" message.

Also somehow i thought that all cigarette lighter sockets in F10/F11 turn off 10min or so after a car being switched off. I guess that's not the case if your setup continues to drain power.
Appreciate 0