2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding What software/hardware do I need?

07-15-2019, 12:18 AM   #1
sashephe
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi

What software/hardware do I need?

I've picked up a 2011 535i about a month ago, and I'm slowly repairing the various little things there were damaged. I'm at the point now where I'm going to need to delve into coding/programming, and I'm not certain on what exactly I'm going to need for the process. This is the newest car I've owned, so the computerized stuff is more complex than anything I've dealt with before. Hoping someone familiar with the process can get me set down the right path. I need to do the following things.

- Sunroof does not respond to switch, No tilt, no opening or closing. No noise when the switch is depressed. PO said this occurred after the switch panel/module was replaced. He thought the module up there needed to be integrated into the rest of the computer systems in order to get it working again, so I figure I'll try that first.

- Tilt steering column completely non-functional. No noise when switch is pressed, so I doubt the motors/regulators are bad. I'm thinking this is potentially something in the software, so I would like to be able to check the associated systems.

- I'd like to update the maps, and the rest of the cars software while I'm at it.

- The maintenance reminder system says the car was last serviced in 2003, and I can not reset it after doing maintenance like an oil change. I would like to be able to use this feature normally.

- I need to read misfire logs, as I suspect the car may have infrequent misfire at idle while cold.

Apologies for the long post, but I figured it was best to get it all in there, so that I don't end up buying an insufficient tool. I lean towards thinking I need to get one of those ICOM clone set ups that are available on ebay, but I think I saw some 3rd party stuff somewhere that might work.

Any recommendations from the experienced folks here?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 11:57 AM   #2
wcr3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport

Don't worry about the long posts, you are right, the more details the better.
Some people are going to suggest things like Carly or Bimmercode, phone apps, but you need something more in-depth. So now you're talking about handheld or laptop. Part of this choice is going to depend on how much you want to spend. The laptop route can be done very cheap (assuming you already have the laptop) but the learning curve will be high. Do some research on both before you decide.
I will stop here for the time as after your research you WILL have more questions.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 02:43 PM   #3
OrcaPod
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW F10 528i N52 engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashephe View Post

- I'd like to update the maps, and the rest of the cars software while I'm at it.

- I need to read misfire logs, as I suspect the car may have infrequent misfire at idle while cold.
RE: MAPS
I've sent you a PM with directions for map's update.
I followed them when updating map on my F10 2011 528i. Just make sure that you have Professional Navigation System.

RE: misfire logs...
I 'm using Foxwell NT510 BMW version as a diagnostics scanner. it already helped me with misfire diagnosis of one of the cylinders; registering new car battery; retracting electrical e-brake unit when I replaced rear rotors/pads ;
Appreciate 0