2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Harbor Freight question and heads-up

06-30-2019, 03:24 PM   #1
mediocrechris
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i xDrive

Harbor Freight question and heads-up

(This post was intentionally cross-posted in the Engine Forum and the General forum.)

First and foremost, I am in no way affiliated with Harbor Freight.

Now that I have a BMW, I am under the impression that I will pretty much have to become an amateur mechanic because taking the car to the shop for every single thing adds up super fast; and, moreover, there are a lot of things a layman can do to the car with just a few tools and can save hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

Case in point, yesterday, I repaired the rear seat heater switch from where it had gotten mashed in and no longer worked.

The point of this thread is two fold. Yesterday, I went to Harbor Freight to buy the trim removal tools so I could fix the rear seat heater switch and they gave me a coupon for 25% off any item on July 4th. Well, I don't really have any tools and I am under the impression I'm going to need tools soon.

So all that said:

The Harbor Freight question:
Does anybody have any stories/anecdotes/information/input to help me decide whether I should start buying tools and equipment from Harbor Freight for the purpose of working on my F10.

The Harbor Freight heads-up:
I made a purchase yesterday and they gave me the coupon for 25% off on July 4th at the register. I don't know anything about Harbor Freight so maybe it's super easy to get coupons from them, but I just wanted to give you all a heads up in case this is a big deal and in case anybody needs anything from Harbor Freight.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 04:11 PM   #2
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Bluestone Metallic

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrechris View Post
(This post was intentionally cross-posted in the Engine Forum and the General forum.)

First and foremost, I am in no way affiliated with Harbor Freight.

Now that I have a BMW, I am under the impression that I will pretty much have to become an amateur mechanic because taking the car to the shop for every single thing adds up super fast; and, moreover, there are a lot of things a layman can do to the car with just a few tools and can save hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

Case in point, yesterday, I repaired the rear seat heater switch from where it had gotten mashed in and no longer worked.

The point of this thread is two fold. Yesterday, I went to Harbor Freight to buy the trim removal tools so I could fix the rear seat heater switch and they gave me a coupon for 25% off any item on July 4th. Well, I don't really have any tools and I am under the impression I'm going to need tools soon.

So all that said:

The Harbor Freight question:
Does anybody have any stories/anecdotes/information/input to help me decide whether I should start buying tools and equipment from Harbor Freight for the purpose of working on my F10.

The Harbor Freight heads-up:
I made a purchase yesterday and they gave me the coupon for 25% off on July 4th at the register. I don't know anything about Harbor Freight so maybe it's super easy to get coupons from them, but I just wanted to give you all a heads up in case this is a big deal and in case anybody needs anything from Harbor Freight.
Harbor freight tools are some in use, some from Walmart, advanced Auto. A tool is a tool imo unless dealing with impacts and such air/electric powered. Good thing of harbor freight is the warranty if they break. I've done valve cover jobs, ofhg, oil cooler gasket, serpentine belt and tensioner with them.