2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum EMBLEM REPLACEMENT: Steering Wheel & Engine Cover

04-21-2020, 09:25 PM   #1
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

EMBLEM REPLACEMENT: Steering Wheel & Engine Cover

Hi everyone,

Long time; hope all is well during these times.

Can someone please tell me: Can the emblems on our steering wheels and/or engine covers be replaced?

I’m having trouble with the emblems circled in the photos attached.

My steering wheel emblem has some strange – I want to say – etchings – that are some sort of wear below the surface of the emblem. Cannot feel same with my fingernail, as the surface is still smooth, but it appears to be – I want to say – scratched? Strange.

And the emblem on the engine cover has become discolored. It’s yellowed, which I suppose is due to the heat under the hood over the years.

In all, I’d like to know if these emblems can be replaced.

Also, to be completely clear, I’m not looking for stickers or similar to cover over them. I’m wondering if the emblems have prongs similar to the ones on the hood and boot, so proper replacement can be had.

Thanks so very much!

Best to all always.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 09:26 PM   #2
Skipper32
Dan O
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 550ix M-sport

Appreciate 1
      04-21-2020, 09:52 PM   #3
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

i ordered mine through jbspeed. the steering wheel can be popped off and replaced. don't know about the engine cover emblem tho?

~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2020, 01:50 AM   #4
550bye
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [5.67]
In my experience the engine cover roundel/emblem isn't worth the hassle unless you don't mind on replacing every year or you find a very high value product. Because of the heat issues trapped under the hood my roundel cracked and cooked in a sense turning it a gold color (kind of shown in the photo). But if you don't mind replacing it every year it's not bad.

On both engine cover, steering wheel, front and back roundel I went all black roundel with carbon fiber overlays and smoke lense tint on top. I know not everyone loves the custom roundels but it my car and I get to do it for my personal liking.

Again that is my experience, I suppose it also depends on the power plant as well as location.
Attached Images

Upgraded 51mm turbos, Heatsync Stage 3 Flash, JB4 stacked, BMS WMI, Arm Charge Pipes, Heatsync Catless DPs, X-Pipe, Res Muffler Delete, xHP Stage 3 Trans Flash, Turbosmart Diverter Valves, 3.5 TMAPs, Oil Cooler, Heatsync Front Mounted Max Cool Intakes, Walbro LPFP and e40 mix rollin on Stance SF07 9x20 w/Toyo Extensa and 10.5x20 w/Toyo R888R.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 09:45 AM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Just an FYI (as mentioned in my reply in your other thread on the other forum)...in regards to the steering wheel Roundel...I'd personally only replace it with a foil label. The reason why is...if/when the air bag deploys...it does so at speeds up to 200 MPH. The steering wheel Roundel is engineered to withstand the sudden and explosive impact and not become a flying object toward the driver. I'm not sure if things have changed since 1995 when the colored Roundel returned to BMW steering wheels...but when they did...they were anchored/secured to withstand the impact.

If the Roundel is removed and not re-anchored/secured...then it can become a "flying missle" toward the driver if the bag deploys. Thus my recommendation to only use a foil sticker in regards to the steering wheel application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7
Historical timeline of steering wheel emblem/Roundel:
  • Pre air bag era: BMW steering wheels had a colored Roundel on the steering wheel
  • Debut of air bags: the Roundel was replaced with an embossed emblem of the BMW Roundel in the early 1990s. The actual Roundel was removed due to the collateral damage an unsecured trim piece on an exploding air bag (at over 200 mph) could cause.
  • Return of colored Roundel to steering wheel: Around 1995...the Roundel returns to the steering wheel/air bag after R&D (research & development) engineered a way to anchor/secure the Roundel so that if the air bag deploys...it doesn't become a flying projectile toward the driver.

I haven't deconstructed the air bag of an f chasis BMW...but I'd bet that the design/engineering hasn't changed that drastically from the original return of the Roundel to the steering wheel back in 1995. The Roundel probably still needs to be anchored/secured so that it doesn't become a flying projectile if the air bag deploys. So that means that the air bag Roundel isn't just held on (only by compression) like the hood/trunk Roundel are.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
cdmulders326.50
      04-23-2020, 09:59 AM   #6
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
i ordered mine through jbspeed. the steering wheel can be popped off and replaced. don't know about the engine cover emblem tho?
Thank you; looks neat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550bye View Post
In my experience the engine cover roundel/emblem isn't worth the hassle unless you don't mind on replacing every year or you find a very high value product. Because of the heat issues trapped under the hood my roundel cracked and cooked in a sense turning it a gold color (kind of shown in the photo). But if you don't mind replacing it every year it's not bad.

On both engine cover, steering wheel, front and back roundel I went all black roundel with carbon fiber overlays and smoke lense tint on top. I know not everyone loves the custom roundels but it my car and I get to do it for my personal liking.

Again that is my experience, I suppose it also depends on the power plant as well as location.
Thank you as well. I'm OCD and probably need OEM. Not sure how I feel about overlays, but will consider as one possibility.

Thank you both very much for your insight, advice and help. I do appreciate it!
Appreciate 1
550bye1389.50
      04-24-2020, 11:31 PM   #7
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

See attached.

Rear of engine cover shows the five tabs, which is good.

Steering wheel emblem looks better than pictured, as was under flash.

Anyone know why this happens to the steering wheel emblem?

Surface is smooth.

Car was at dealer for a long period of time, likely sitting in one place.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 11:41 PM   #8
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Why is this happening?

Note: https://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=516900

Anyone else here experiencing same?

Disappointing something as simple as this doesn't last on our cars.
Appreciate 0