2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Wagner IC install notes

07-06-2019, 03:42 PM   #1
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 M Sport

Wagner IC install notes

Bullitts5's DIY for the G Plus told me everything I needed to know going into it. I def second his "tight fit is an understatement."

So much so that I don't think we could've gotten it in there without a using the jack. We got it lined up as best we could and slowly but surely crammed it up there with the jack, used a flathead to pry the edges away from obstacles, and hoped we didn't break anything...didn't feel like there was any other choice.

The stock IC has a tab that rests on a plastic shelf and we couldn't budge the Wagner forward AT ALL in order to slide it around and back onto that shelf, so we ended up just pushing straight through the shelf and kind of breaking it. So the metal brackets, and belly pans, are the only thing holding it up but I think that's fine.

Once it was up and into place the hoses almost clicked into place themselves. Passenger side very easy to lock into place, driver side a bit tougher to get hands up there. The drivers side also had a coolant(?) hose that was directly in the way of the pipe connection so we had to squeeze/push that behind a mount that was right there...tight squeeze but needed to get it out of the way.

The drivers side boost pipe that connects to the IC has a clip mount that you can reach from the top of the engine bay, we unclipped that to get a little more play in the pipe. Worth it.

We kind of shook our heads afterwards, and figured if we were doing it again we'd just make sure the path was clear of hoses etc and not think twice about ramming it up there with the jack, and it'd be a super quick job.

Now I'm finally fbo - my Wedge custom tune hits my inbox any minute!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 05:13 PM   #2
jonobro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw f10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by burro_blasta View Post
Bullitts5's DIY for the G Plus told me everything I needed to know going into it. I def second his "tight fit is an understatement."

So much so that I don't think we could've gotten it in there without a using the jack. We got it lined up as best we could and slowly but surely crammed it up there with the jack, used a flathead to pry the edges away from obstacles, and hoped we didn't break anything...didn't feel like there was any other choice.

The stock IC has a tab that rests on a plastic shelf and we couldn't budge the Wagner forward AT ALL in order to slide it around and back onto that shelf, so we ended up just pushing straight through the shelf and kind of breaking it. So the metal brackets, and belly pans, are the only thing holding it up but I think that's fine.

Once it was up and into place the hoses almost clicked into place themselves. Passenger side very easy to lock into place, driver side a bit tougher to get hands up there. The drivers side also had a coolant(?) hose that was directly in the way of the pipe connection so we had to squeeze/push that behind a mount that was right there...tight squeeze but needed to get it out of the way.

The drivers side boost pipe that connects to the IC has a clip mount that you can reach from the top of the engine bay, we unclipped that to get a little more play in the pipe. Worth it.

We kind of shook our heads afterwards, and figured if we were doing it again we'd just make sure the path was clear of hoses etc and not think twice about ramming it up there with the jack, and it'd be a super quick job.

Now I'm finally fbo - my Wedge custom tune hits my inbox any minute!
How do you like the FMIC have you drove ?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 05:30 PM   #3
ey2001
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 535i 6spd

The fmic will just drop the iat... the more I get on it the iat drops... it will give you consistent power
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 10:27 PM   #4
Casebrius
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 535 M-Sport; 95,97 E36 M3

Did you do any before IAT logs? (noting ambient)
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 10:37 PM   #5
ey2001
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 535i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casebrius View Post
Did you do any before IAT logs? (noting ambient)
After Wagner intercooler

https://datazap.me/u/ey2001/after-fm...8;data=4-11-22

Before

https://datazap.me/u/ey2001/3rd-gear-dsc-0
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 11:26 PM   #6
Casebrius
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 535 M-Sport; 95,97 E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ey2001 View Post
Nice drop... Have you dyno'd it?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 12:08 AM   #7
gpabalinas81
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i M Sport

The G-Plus that I installed was TIGHT, had to cut off a piece of plastic on the back side of the shroud to get it to slide in. Overall it works, we broke the clip that goes from the turbo to the intercooler, but I ended up finding the clip online and re re-did it, second time around was a breeze. I have the FTP boost pipe on the passenger side and stock one on the left side, when we oiled everything up, the passenger side ended up being the easier side, the driver side was actually not bad as well since we complete removed it and installed it after we put in the intercooler, just had to "snake" it through, but but IATS are a whole lot better and getting about 6 MPGs better than the stock intercooler! I would go with the G-Plus and save the $600 bucks, but if you wanna go Wagner, go for it, but from reading reviews and actually seeing the G-Plus in person and installing it, it's identical to the Wager
      07-08-2019, 01:12 PM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Congrats OP!!

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0