2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Water Pump Problem?

07-12-2019, 12:05 AM   #1
kenlena46
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i

Water Pump Problem?

Okay so I have a 2011 BMW 535i. Two weeks ago I was driving it when the system notified me to pull over and turn the vehicle off due to it overheating. I live in Arizona and it was 110 out that day and I figured my coolant was running low or my fan wasn't working properly. I then let the car cool down and was able to get it back home by driving very slowly with the A/C off

Once I got home I did some research and figured the water pump had failed because there wasn't any noticeable coolant leaks and the coolant was still full also the fan was working fine. I ended up ordering a new water pump and thermostat. Once those items arrived I changed them out and did the recommended bleeding of the water pump. The water pump started the bleeding process and finished within 15 to 20 minutes. After that I took the vehicle on a road test and noticed the same thing was happening still and the vehicle was starting to overheat again. I then figured the problem was a bad radiator, expansion tank or a temperature sensor, so I ordered all three parts and installed them once they came in. Once the parts were installed I tried to start the bleeding process with the water pump and it would not turn on to start the process. I then topped off the coolant and began to take it on another road test to where it once again started to overheat again.

I thought maybe the fuse for the water pump needed to be replaced but I came to find out that my year vehicle no longer had a stander fuse and BMW replaced it with an Integrated Supply Module. So now I am not sure if the water pump is bad or if the supply module needs to be replaced. I tried a test light on the big red wire coming off of the water pump plug and it is not getting any power. I tested the supply module leads and it is getting power so I'm not sure if that means the module is good and the water pump is just defective. At this point the only part of the cooling system I haven't replaced yet is the electric fan, but that seems to be working properly.

Any help would be much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 11:45 AM   #2
ziekxq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

When my water pump died on me, I got the car overheat alert as well. The only difference was that the fan would kick in 100 percent and was very loud. My BMW mechanic told me he never seen thermostat go bad on these cars. I have 2011 535i xdrive. Changing the water pump fixed my issue. If the radiator fan is not kicking super high and super loud than it might be something else beside water pump.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 05:55 PM   #3
kenlena46
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i

Thanks for the your reply! My radiator fan does kick on and it does go into a high speed setting that is very loud. I do believe I received a faulty water pump.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 11:14 AM   #4
CaptainKrandall
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 535 Msport

Hi Kenlena46....any follow up on your issue. I’m having the same problem with my 2011 535. Replaced water pump and tstat, successfully followed the bleed procedure but car still overheats. Wondering if you diagnosed the integrated supply module or just replaced the water pump again.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 12:36 PM   #5
Houranimd49
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i xDrive, F25 xDrive35i

Garage List
I knew my pump was on its way out when the fan would kick on high continuously. Check out FCP euro for the pump/stat/coolant kit. It's OE as well. Plus, it's lifetime warranty replacements. The stat and pump are right next to each other so it's best to just replace them both while you're in there.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 01:35 PM   #6
CaptainKrandall
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 535 Msport

Looking for help on my water pump issue. Replaced my water pump and tstat then successfully followed the bleed procedure. Took the car for a short drive, came back and checked the coolant level...all was good. On my second drive the car was overheating again. Radiator fan blowing full speed and error code 20A701/20A804. I tried to reinitiate the coolant bleed procedure but cannot get it to start after multiple attempts. Should I assume assume my new water pump Is bad and replace it or is there something else I can do to trouble shoot this issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 10:24 AM   #7
jlc45
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i 6MT

I'm new to this forum and I own a 135i with the 3 L I6. Not sure about how much talk there has been on this forum, but there is lots of discussion on the 1addicts forum that you might find interesting. My water pump failed at 55,000 km. There is a recent settlement of a class action lawsuit in the U.S. that may apply to the 5 series. Check it out.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 01:13 PM   #8
calswan7145
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi, 2009 328xi

Garage List
Ive heard about the lawsuit as well. I had a buddy that got reimbursed for his waterpump and thermostat that went out recently. I've just done mine at 60,000 in my f10 and I did one in my 09 3series before I sold it. As far as installing the waterpump goes I would run the bleed procedure more than once. hook up a trickle charger and run it 2 or 3 times just to be sure. I would also make sure you buy from FCP euro and not an aftermarket pump. When I did the pump on the 3series I used a duralast pump from autozone and it was dead out of the box. Returned the pump and ordered from FCP Euro and no issues since. I no longer have the car but I sold it to a family friend and they have been driving it for the past year or so.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 04:47 AM   #9
ChiltiCoatl89
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 BMW 535i M Sport

Garage List
Definitely going to order my WP and TS at a reputable source. I never would want my beloved N55 Engine to Overheat especially due to a water pump! (or something else)
Appreciate 0