2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Night Vision retrofit

01-24-2022, 09:17 AM   #1
SocomCA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

Night Vision retrofit

Hey guys,

I am trying to retrofit night vision (nivi 2) on my 2016 bmw 550i xdrive.

I know my car needs a nivi 3 but i could only find nivi 2 from 2014 (produced 01/2013, vin: WBAFU910X0C955112) 535i xdrive located in europe as the donor car and i bought a night vision emulator/activator also (from a website for bmwretrofits, its called: BMW Night Vision Activator, if you google it)

I have the following questions:

1. What is the difference between nivi 2 and nivi 3
2. Does nivi 2 support dynamic spot light?
3. Are the grills different from a prelci to lci night vision car with night vision?
4. If i retrofit nivi 2 now, are the cables going to be the same for night vision 3 or nivi 3 so i would only have to change out the camera and ecu from a 2016 donor car?
5. Any tips/things i should be aware of this retrofit?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 03:36 PM   #2
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Nivi 3 does animal recognition as well as person recognition. Graphics are slightly better. This is the actual Manufacturer : https://www.flir.com/products/pathfindir-ii/

I've seen the settings for GZA (dynamic Spotlight) in the Nivi2 module but I have a pre-LCI and could not attempt to buy and fit those lights in the older style bumper. Might be worth a try but no idea if anyone has done this yet.

3. Are the grills different from a prelci to lci night vision car with night vision?
YES - not just the grills but the brackets that the camera attaches too are different. Nivi 2 camera is bigger and housing has spring loaded mechanism so overall housing is bigger too.
You have to buy grill and housing. There is a way to install the old camera into new housing but depends on what style old camera it is since first get NIVI3 was slightly smaller than NIVI2 and can barely fit into the LCI bracket/grill and you have to modify the plate (there is a thread on this forum that describes this process in detail)

4. If i retrofit nivi 2 now, are the cables going to be the same for night vision 3 or nivi 3 so i would only have to change out the camera and ecu from a 2016 donor car?

No, Nivi 2 uses the same style cable as the side view cameras (LVDS+2) vs Nivi3 uses just the LVDS lines so cables are different. Connectors on the ECU are different too so you'll have to keep that in mind. Signals are the same on those connectors so it will be a matter of re-pinning.

Reach out to Mike (he's on the forum and he laid out a great how to of installing night vision, easily searchable here). As long as you have Camera and Module from the same donor car and the Nivi emulator, you just need to put the wiring and then coding the car and you should be good! Good Luck

(BTW, there are some folks in Russia who can sell you Nivi 3 modules coded to your car and can work with any NIVI 3 camera, no idea how they do it but they can..you can google this as well)
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 06:47 PM   #3
SocomCA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy27 View Post

Nivi 3 does animal recognition as well as person recognition. Graphics are slightly better. This is the actual Manufacturer : https://www.flir.com/products/pathfindir-ii/

I've seen the settings for GZA (dynamic Spotlight) in the Nivi2 module but I have a pre-LCI and could not attempt to buy and fit those lights in the older style bumper. Might be worth a try but no idea if anyone has done this yet.

YES - not just the grills but the brackets that the camera attaches too are different. Nivi 2 camera is bigger and housing has spring loaded mechanism so overall housing is bigger too.
You have to buy grill and housing. There is a way to install the old camera into new housing but depends on what style old camera it is since first get NIVI3 was slightly smaller than NIVI2 and can barely fit into the LCI bracket/grill and you have to modify the plate (there is a thread on this forum that describes this process in detail)

No, Nivi 2 uses the same style cable as the side view cameras (LVDS+2) vs Nivi3 uses just the LVDS lines so cables are different. Connectors on the ECU are different too so you'll have to keep that in mind. Signals are the same on those connectors so it will be a matter of re-pinning.

Reach out to Mike (he's on the forum and he laid out a great how to of installing night vision, easily searchable here). As long as you have Camera and Module from the same donor car and the Nivi emulator, you just need to put the wiring and then coding the car and you should be good! Good Luck

(BTW, there are some folks in Russia who can sell you Nivi 3 modules coded to your car and can work with any NIVI 3 camera, no idea how they do it but they can..you can google this as well)
Hi thank you for the information! It is very helpful!

1. Will the prelci grill fit in my lci 2016 550?
2. Do you have a link to th russian guys who do that and how much do they charge?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 09:03 PM   #4
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameplayer504 View Post
Hi thank you for the information! It is very helpful!

1. Will the prelci grill fit in my lci 2016 550?

2. Do you have a link to th russian guys who do that and how much do they charge?

1- It should. I am running LCI grills on my Pre-LCI so I don't see why it won't fit.

2 -You can reach out to them and see what they can do : FGSever is the name (link below: remove the spaces)

https ://www.drive2. ru/o/b/475580286650811345/
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 09:04 PM   #5
SocomCA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You can reach out to them and see what they can do : FGSever is the name (link below: remove the spaces)

Thanks!

And so night vision nivi 2 doesnt support animal detection?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 04:37 PM   #6
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You can reach out to them and see what they can do : FGSever is the name (link below: remove the spaces)

Thanks!

And so night vision nivi 2 doesnt support animal detection?
Correct
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 09:08 AM   #7
SocomCA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Correct
Do know if i retrofit a nivi 2 system now, are the cables the same to retrofit a nivi 3 system?
I cant find a nivi 3 system for my 2016 550 so im setting for a nivi 2 system (complete with cables) and i have the activator already.

I know the grilles & camera mount have to be changed but what else?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 11:42 AM   #8
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Correct
Do know if i retrofit a nivi 2 system now, are the cables the same to retrofit a nivi 3 system?
I cant find a nivi 3 system for my 2016 550 so im setting for a nivi 2 system (complete with cables) and i have the activator already.

I know the grilles & camera mount have to be changed but what else?
From Nivi 2 to Nivi3 you have to get a different cable between camera and ecu, and the connectors on the ecu are different but the same wires/contacts are used. So not a big effort if you've already got nivi2.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 04:37 PM   #9
SocomCA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
From Nivi 2 to Nivi3 you have to get a different cable between camera and ecu, and the connectors on the ecu are different but the same wires/contacts are used. So not a big effort if you've already got nivi2.
Have you personally done the night vision retrofit and are you located in the US?

Also do you know if its possible to install dynamic spot light in the US with a night vision 3 system?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 12:43 PM   #10
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep

My car came with Nivi2, I retrofitted Nivi3 with paired ECU and Camera from the same car and the filter/emulator. I bought the camera HSD/LVDS wire from Aliexpress and the connectors from Mouser/Digikey and swapped pins from old 12 pin connectors to new 6 pin connectors. With the new camera (slightly smaller/different form factor than Nivi2) I also retrofitted the LCI grill with LCI bracket for Nivi3.

Regarding the Dynamic spot lights, I have not installed them.. yet...

Reason is I have 2011 car with the Pre-LCI front bumper and the spot lights won't fit on it.
I have been contemplating switching to LCI front bumper but I cant find the LCI Alpina spoiler for cheap..so that is on hold.

What you need for the Dynamic Spot lights is CAN3 connection which was only available with LCI cars with Adaptive LED headlights. CAN3 can be enabled in the ZGW as long as it at the right HW/SW level. Not too sure which, as I just bought parts from LCI F10s to retrofit adaptive LED headlights. So I do have CAN3 but can't use it for dynamic spot lights as it will require a full bumper change.
Also, you have to replace your headlight washer jet pipe for one with the extra branch to clean the Nivi camera.

BTW, mikekilpatrick is also a master at this and is in PA, he retrofitted Nivi2 from scratch and is also doing the Nivi3. He intends to enable dynamic spot lights so he can be a great resource for this discussion
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2022, 01:00 PM   #11
SocomCA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
My car came with Nivi2, I retrofitted Nivi3 with paired ECU and Camera from the same car and the filter/emulator. I bought the camera HSD/LVDS wire from Aliexpress and the connectors from Mouser/Digikey and swapped pins from old 12 pin connectors to new 6 pin connectors. With the new camera (slightly smaller/different form factor than Nivi2) I also retrofitted the LCI grill with LCI bracket for Nivi3.

Regarding the Dynamic spot lights, I have not installed them.. yet...

Reason is I have 2011 car with the Pre-LCI front bumper and the spot lights won't fit on it.
I have been contemplating switching to LCI front bumper but I cant find the LCI Alpina spoiler for cheap..so that is on hold.

What you need for the Dynamic Spot lights is CAN3 connection which was only available with LCI cars with Adaptive LED headlights. CAN3 can be enabled in the ZGW as long as it at the right HW/SW level. Not too sure which, as I just bought parts from LCI F10s to retrofit adaptive LED headlights. So I do have CAN3 but can't use it for dynamic spot lights as it will require a full bumper change.
Also, you have to replace your headlight washer jet pipe for one with the extra branch to clean the Nivi camera.

BTW, mikekilpatrick is also a master at this and is in PA, he retrofitted Nivi2 from scratch and is also doing the Nivi3. He intends to enable dynamic spot lights so he can be a great resource for this discussion

Thank you for the very helpful information and insight!

Do you have the link to the aliexpress listing and which connectors did you buy from Mouser/Digikey?

I have a 2016 550i xdrive with led adaptive headlights and i have the parts for a nivi 2 with camera and cables from a donor car + emulator, i even bought a brand new headlight washer pipe for night vision. I know the bracket is different and so is the grille and i can buy those separately but I am trying to see if i can still use the wiring minus the single HSD cable for the Nivi 3 from the nivi 2 kit have.

Mike seems a little busy at the moment because he is not responding to messages so i am trying to gather all the parts together first now and also possibly see how much my local bmw dealership will charge to install it, if i provide them all the parts. The hardest part it seems is to get all the parts lol
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 02:16 PM   #12
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep

First off, your local dealer will not touch it...forget that..unless you're family with the shop foreman and he can do this off book.. I don't believe there was ever a "retrofit" offered by BMW for Night vision on the F10s.

Having said that.. here is the link to the aliexpress link for the cable:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002466606584.html

Here are the connectors : https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...3pe0ReAA%3D%3D

(You can buy multiple of these and just shave off the key as needed to make them fit the white connector)

Since you already have LED Adaptive headlights, all you need to to extend the Can3 connections to the Dynamic Spot lights and also of course use the correct connector for them (if I can locate the connector part number or link, I'll send you)

You'll get to be one of the very very few with this setup here in the US! Good luck
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 04:26 PM   #13
Socom
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 535Xi

Quote:
First off, your local dealer will not touch it...forget that..unless you're family with the shop foreman and he can do this off book.. I don't believe there was ever a "retrofit" offered by BMW for Night vision on the F10s.

Having said that.. here is the link to the aliexpress link for the cable:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002466606584.html

Here are the connectors : https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...3pe0ReAA%3D%3D

(You can buy multiple of these and just shave off the key as needed to make them fit the white connector)

Since you already have LED Adaptive headlights, all you need to to extend the Can3 connections to the Dynamic Spot lights and also of course use the correct connector for them (if I can locate the connector part number or link, I'll send you)

You'll get to be one of the very very few with this setup here in the US! Good luck

I actually have a really good relationship with my local bmw dealership/service center and i got the shop foreman and service manager to approve the retrofit as an exception since im a frequent customer lol
They will be using my parts so i want to make sure i have all the parts correctly for them to install. I am just hoping them know how to do actually do it. I'm still waiting on an estimate from them on labor costs

I wish you were in nj, id totally pay you to do it for me if you had the time lol (let me know if this is an option)

I bought the connectors, thank you!

For the aliexpress link, is that the cable that goes from the cable to the ecu?

Lastly if you can find the right cables/part numbers for the dynamic spotlights i would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you again!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 05:44 PM   #14
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep

Yes the Ali express one is the camera to ecu cable, goes directly between the two.

If you want OEM, you can look up all the wires/harness that saw they are for cars with dynamic light spot

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=61_2738

And OEM HSD Camera cable from ECU to engine bay:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...&q=61119327521

If you car currently does NOT have NIVI then they will need to build the harness which is the only custom wiring work that they will need to do since your current main harness wont have the relevant connectors/splices.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 06:04 PM   #15
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep

Although, be prepared for some fun responses from ppl when they are illuminated :

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 07:45 PM   #16
SocomCA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yes the Ali express one is the camera to ecu cable, goes directly between the two.

If you want OEM, you can look up all the wires/harness that saw they are for cars with dynamic light spot

And OEM HSD Camera cable from ECU to engine bay:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...&q=61119327521

If you car currently does NOT have NIVI then they will need to build the harness which is the only custom wiring work that they will need to do since your current main harness wont have the relevant connectors/splices.
Dumb question, isnt there only one cable from the ecu to the camera/engine bay?

Also is the ali express one a direct alternative for the oem part number you posted?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 08:13 PM   #17
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep

BMW uses two cables, one goes from ECU to near the headlight, and another patch from there to the camera. It helps from service perspective or repair perspective to only stay on the outside of the firewall and not have to run a new cable through the firewall. But since you're putting a new cable anyways, its upto you to either follow their model or just go direct. I went direct because its easy enough to remove/replace if need be and the firewall still remains intact.

The Aliexpress cable is NOT direct replacement BUT again, you can easily shave off the tab/guides that are used as the key for mating connectors. this applies to both ends of the cables.

I have yet to find an off the shelf cable that would have the light blue (universal) connectors with one end being weatherproof and other end being regular HSD and building your own is a bit cost prohibitive with the rosenberger connector install tools being pretty expensive:

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 08:30 PM   #18
SocomCA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
BMW uses two cables, one goes from ECU to near the headlight, and another patch from there to the camera. It helps from service perspective or repair perspective to only stay on the outside of the firewall and not have to run a new cable through the firewall. But since you're putting a new cable anyways, its upto you to either follow their model or just go direct. I went direct because its easy enough to remove/replace if need be and the firewall still remains intact.

The Aliexpress cable is NOT direct replacement BUT again, you can easily shave off the tab/guides that are used as the key for mating connectors. this applies to both ends of the cables.

I have yet to find an off the shelf cable that would have the light blue (universal) connectors with one end being weatherproof and other end being regular HSD and building your own is a bit cost prohibitive with the rosenberger connector install tools being pretty expensive:

You reallt know a lot, its impressive.

That makes sense, i ended up buying this cable: https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-F01-F02...-127634-2357-0

Do you think its the correct HSD cable for nivi 3?
It sucks that there isnt much info on night vision parts

Also i bought these cables just in case they might be useful, what are your thoughts: https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-F15-F85...-127632-2357-0
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 08:42 PM   #19
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep

So the cable you bought is part of the 2 piece cable. But that wont work with the Aliexpress cable.. You may want to then buy the OEM bmw cable from the link I sent earlier and then this should work.

If you see the connector on this cable you bought, It is the male connector on the non ECU side, that looks like the connector on the camera. What you need is the female end and that too, weather proofed (the longer HSD connector)

The other wiring may work but you have to bear in mind that on the X5, the NIVI module resides above the glove box, where is on F10s, it resides above the driver side cubby.
You should plan on building a custom harness either way, and im sure the dealer mechanics/techs can also figure that out

Last edited by addy27; 04-25-2022 at 08:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 09:35 PM   #20
SocomCA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
So the cable you bought is part of the 2 piece cable. But that wont work with the Aliexpress cable.. You may want to then buy the OEM bmw cable from the link I sent earlier and then this should work.

If you see the connector on this cable you bought, It is the male connector on the non ECU side, that looks like the connector on the camera. What you need is the female end and that too, weather proofed (the longer HSD connector)

The other wiring may work but you have to bear in mind that on the X5, the NIVI module resides above the glove box, where is on F10s, it resides above the driver side cubby.
You should plan on building a custom harness either way, and im sure the dealer mechanics/techs can also figure that out

Okay so basically i just need to buy this part for the female end correct? :http://https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part?id=5D11-EUR-04-2016-F10N-BMW-530d&mg=61&sg=10&diagId=61_2797&q=61119327521

Also did you make a custom harness or you didnt have to?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 10:51 PM   #21
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep

I just found this, probably answers most if not all of your questions :

https://www.yandex.com.tr/turbo/driv...5725623532028/

You'll have to translate to English
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 11:23 PM   #22
Socom
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 535Xi

Quote:
I just found this, probably answers most if not all of your questions :

https://www.yandex.com.tr/turbo/driv...5725623532028/

You'll have to translate to English
Thanks for the link! I found some interesting information about the harness, it says the harness is #9 here with many options from a fully load 2016 bmw 535i xdrive:

I think it is Part #61129291099 or 61129291103 but im not 100% sure because real oem versus this website that says 61129291103: https://www.lllparts.co.uk/en/produc...pn/61129291122

------

My 2016 bmw f10 has the m sports package, drivers assistance plus, and active cruise control w/ acc stop and go, so does that mean i would not have to build a custom harness and this can be a direct install with this harness instead?

Which part number do you think it is?

Last edited by Socom; 04-25-2022 at 11:49 PM..
Appreciate 0