2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding F10 car locking/unlocking by itself

06-20-2022, 01:54 PM   #1
royalguardop
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 528i

F10 car locking/unlocking by itself

Hello everyone,

I would be grateful for your support in order to solve the problem with keyless access in F10 528i 2012.
When I press the lock button it locks the car but very often unlocks by itself immediately (affecting all doors).
Sometime there is even no need to press the button, car unlock by itself if I'm close to the car with the key. Key battery change done.
Car has zero problems with key detection in order to start the engine.

I've already done some testing with the door handles. I was removing one at the time and checking if the problem stil
exiest. No sign of improvement after door handles removal.

While I was testing the handles, I could hear some strange noises coming from the fuel cap I think. My question is,
Does fuel cap have any impact on the comfort access system? Maybe the motor that opens the cap is dying and it messes with car locks (doors)?

Any ideas what else could be the cause of the problem? I haven't checked any antena yet.
Thanks with advance
Appreciate 1
zrile100.00
      06-21-2022, 09:22 AM   #2
walmark
Apprentice
Rep
Drives: 550i F10 '15

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalguardop View Post
Hello everyone,

I would be grateful for your support in order to solve the problem with keyless access in F10 528i 2012.
When I press the lock button it locks the car but very often unlocks by itself immediately (affecting all doors).
Sometime there is even no need to press the button, car unlock by itself if I'm close to the car with the key. Key battery change done.
Car has zero problems with key detection in order to start the engine.

I've already done some testing with the door handles. I was removing one at the time and checking if the problem stil
exiest. No sign of improvement after door handles removal.

While I was testing the handles, I could hear some strange noises coming from the fuel cap I think. My question is,
Does fuel cap have any impact on the comfort access system? Maybe the motor that opens the cap is dying and it messes with car locks (doors)?

Any ideas what else could be the cause of the problem? I haven't checked any antena yet.
Thanks with advance
Fuel cap is also locked/unlocked with the rest of the car, so that's probably what you're seeing.

I'm probably wrong about this, but where is your second key to the car? I wouldn't be surprised to see such behavior if another comfort access key was left accidentally inside the passenger compartment (glove box, under the seat, etc.) or trunk.

Good luck solving this!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 10:44 AM   #3
royalguardop
Registered
Rep

Hi,

To be honest... I bought the car with one key. There is always a chance that there is second somewhere in the car but it was not causing problem for almost a year, just kidding
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 02:25 PM   #4
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalguardop View Post
Hi,

To be honest... I bought the car with one key. There is always a chance that there is second somewhere in the car but it was not causing problem for almost a year, just kidding
Does the unlocking happen when you walk away? That would indicate a fob somewhere in the car. I found this out on vacation one year when my wife had the extra key in her purse in the trunk. I tried closing the trunk and when I was walking away the deck lid would opening. As long as I stayed close the trunk would close.
Appreciate 1
zrile100.00
      06-21-2022, 02:53 PM   #5
royalguardop
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Does the unlocking happen when you walk away? That would indicate a fob somewhere in the car. I found this out on vacation one year when my wife had the extra key in her purse in the trunk. I tried closing the trunk and when I was walking away the deck lid would opening. As long as I stayed close the trunk would close.
The thing is that locking/unlocking a car is really random. Yes, unlocking happened a few times as I was walking away.
Sometimes I need to press a button multiple times on the fob and the car reacts, let's say after 10 attempts.
Would it indicate a faulty key fob?

I can do some digging in the car to check if by some miracle there is a second key inside but it's a bit unlikely.
I own the car for a year now and comfort access worked like a charm until now.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 02:04 AM   #6
rkl
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: BMW 320 e90 BMW X1 e84

Exactly the same issue that I have experienced in my F11 528i.
I'm pretty sure mines due to power drain from my currently faulty headlight and my weak factory battery.(2014 car)
Just replaced the battery and so far is seems the issues has resolved itself.
Still having draining issues, but with a new 105ah battery it should buy me some time
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 11:01 AM   #7
Oszivel
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 525D

Hi!
I have the same problem on my car. Do you have any solution?
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 11:57 PM   #8
SocomCA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oszivel View Post
Hi!
I have the same problem on my car. Do you have any solution?
Thank you!
It ended up being a door actuator/door handle issue for me
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 04:52 PM   #9
PinoIX
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i

I had the same issue with my car. It ended up that one of my Comfort Access door handles was failing. I was able to find which one it was by trying to Lock/Unlock each one separately. Ended up being my front passenger door handle. I found an OEM handle off Ebay that was the same color... swapped out the handle and everything works fine. Try to correct it soon as the constant Lock/Unlock will drain your battery.... and also can burn out a lock actuator on your doors.