2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Headlight questions need clarification please !

04-26-2022, 12:16 PM   #1
Cali_MSport
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30, 06 325i, 07 328i

So I bought my 2011 528i used and it's had the headlights replaced so I'm not sure if these are halogen xenon or adaptive and honestly don't know how to tell them all apart visually. I have a daytime run/ parking lamp error message which is related to the left side. I can clearly see that the left TMS MODULE is missing. I'm not sure what to order though there are a bunch of different ones for sale. It appears that the left headlight is aftermarket it's a "DEPO" headlight which I assume is the brand. The right headlight has a sticker on top of it as well as the on the TMS module. The left headlight has no sticker but has a label thats formed into the plastic and this is the one I need the TMS module for. Here are some pics. The headlight with the white sticker and the TMS module are both from the right side and the headlight without the white sticker is from the left side and is the headlight that needs a TMS module. I'm confused as to which module to buy because of all these different numbers between the two headlights. Thanks for any advice you can give
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 02:19 PM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Post a pic of the front of the headlamp so that the bulb(s) are visible. Many people can tell a xenon bulb from a halogen bulb, from an LED bulb.

BTW, I see LED written on a label and in the stamped info in the pics of the backside of your headlamps. What is that info referring to?

Also, have you input your VIN into a VIN decoding site to see how it was originally built and what it came with? If you’re not familiar with a VIN site….here’s two that usually work:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 12:30 PM   #3
CrippledLucifer
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 328i 6MT, '16 F10 535i

Garage List
2016 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
BTW, I see LED written on a label and in the stamped info in the pics of the backside of your headlamps. What is that info referring to?
The LED might be referring to the halo ring light source. I think all F10s had LED halo rings from the factory regardless of headlight type.
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2022, 07:14 PM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Thanks for the update with the additional front view. If you haven’t already…I would run the car’s VIN through a decoder site to see how it came from the factory: Make sure you use the site’s dialog boxes…sometimes there are SPAM text boxes which will try to fleece you for payment for the info…both the sites below are free…just enter the 17 digits of your VIN:

www.mdecoder.com
www.bimmer.work
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 05-01-2022 at 11:29 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2022, 09:52 PM   #5
Cali_MSport
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thank you both for the replies. I suspect that headlights may have been upgraded. There is a bunch of custom coding that's been done to the car before I purchased it as well as the fog lights have color changing capabilities and are aftermarket (well obviously).and I suspect that the car has been tuned as well. I know nothing about tuning and not sure this would the ideal car to do a tune on. The reason I think it's tuned is because it shifts through gears super fast I've tried to reset the adaptions but still it does that. So with all this custom coding done and the headlights having been replaced It's safe to assume the previous owner picked up some different headlights than what came on the car. All of those numbers on the headlights have to mean something and all I want to do is replace the missing headlight module so maybe the annoying error will go away. Maybe I'll take a ride out the stealership to see if they can't give me any info at all
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 10:20 PM   #6
KillFox91
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X35i

If they are adaptive they usually say adaptive.

It appears the TMS units aftermarket can be acquired as a set for a reasonable price. I would just buy a set and throw your other on eBay or Facebook.

MOTOALL Control TMS Module Unit Adaptive Headlight for BMW 5 Series F10 F07 F11 63117316217 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZGBH6DM...SEAJ3R5W?psc=1

These the errors you're getting? I'm sure it's due to the tms unit missing.

I know that tms units are required in even the after market options out there for this car. I looked extensively into LED conversion headlights when I was car shopping - as LED was a rare option on the f10 and a deal breaker for me. I lucked out and found a high spec 535dx with them however 😃

At any rate - you will need a TMS module any which way you turn - so I would start there anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 06:03 PM   #7
Cali_MSport
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thank you killfox91 for the response. I am fully aware that I need the TMS module. That is the reason I'm trying to find out what headlights I have so that I can purchase one. I don't know if I have adaptive or xenon or halogen or what ?? The TMS modules seemingly are different for each type of headlight and I don't wanna buy the wrong part. I've even compared realoem.com with the numbers I have on the one TMS module and can't anything that coincides so I'm not sure how I can acquire the module. Maybe someone really knowledgeable with coding would be able to see if I had headlights coded in my settings or something. ???
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 06:16 PM   #8
Deef10m5
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali_MSport View Post
So I bought my 2011 528i used and it's had the headlights replaced so I'm not sure if these are halogen xenon or adaptive and honestly don't know how to tell them all apart visually. I have a daytime run/ parking lamp error message which is related to the left side. I can clearly see that the left TMS MODULE is missing. I'm not sure what to order though there are a bunch of different ones for sale. It appears that the left headlight is aftermarket it's a "DEPO" headlight which I assume is the brand. The right headlight has a sticker on top of it as well as the on the TMS module. The left headlight has no sticker but has a label thats formed into the plastic and this is the one I need the TMS module for. Here are some pics. The headlight with the white sticker and the TMS module are both from the right side and the headlight without the white sticker is from the left side and is the headlight that needs a TMS module. I'm confused as to which module to buy because of all these different numbers between the two headlights. Thanks for any advice you can give
Should be number 13 in the pics
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 07:33 PM   #9
KillFox91
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X35i

You have bixenon headlights. I'm going to assume they are not adaptive.

According to BMW all gasoline f10s equipped with xenon headlights have the same TMS module from 2010-2017.

BMW part Headlight Driver Module Ahl 631210 - BMW (63-11-7-316-217)

It's called a ballast as well.

The product from Amazon matches the BMW part number provided.

As said above by Qsilver7- good idea to check your vin and see what the car was equipped with. If you had factory xenon's there is no reason to assume they aren't. If you had adaptive option - there is a good probability that the previous owner would have wanted to retain that option if they replaced the headlights.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 03:41 PM   #10
Hoody007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZMZ LCI | 850i/6

For future reference: if your xenons have LED turn signals, they're adaptive. If not, they're the standard headlights.

OP has non-led turn signals, so they're probably the base halogens.

I should note this for for pre LCI F10s only!
Appreciate 0