2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Activating the exhaust valves on F10 535i, coding, need help!

08-24-2021, 04:39 PM   #23
Kannon25
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 Series

You sir, are amazing!

And to make sure that it will open/close automatically based on the RPM and gear, I have to code with MHD Flasher or there is an alternative? It's pretty hard to find one in my country, unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 11:24 PM   #24
M@rkus
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannon25 View Post
You sir, are amazing!

And to make sure that it will open/close automatically based on the RPM and gear, I have to code with MHD Flasher or there is an alternative? It's pretty hard to find one in my country, unfortunately.
I have bootmod3 which also works. Of course it's very expensive way to do this if you are not needing it anyway for engine performance upgrade. There was anyway a problem in the beginning that the flaps opened already at 1500 rpm with the basic settings which caused some level of drone at 1500-2000 rpm. They provided me an ECU SW version in which the rpm limit was increased to 3300 rpm. Now it's good.

I think you would need to buy the MHD flasher licence for yourself anyway because it's tied to the vehicle VIN. Same with bootmod3.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 05:04 AM   #25
Kannon25
Rep

I will buy the MHD license, as it is 259$ for the exhaust burble option. Thank you a lot, you've been really helpful.

You've got one of the cleanest F11 out there, congrats for your car!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 09:12 AM   #26
Kannon25
Rep

I am coming with a request if anyone can help me (sorry for double reply).

The former owner decided to weld this mechanism that lets the valve open and close and I need to repair this. Does anyone know the part numbers?

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 07:21 PM   #27
Kannon25
Rep

Does anyone know where could I get vacuum on a EWG N55? These two vacuum lines from the photos are both disabled. Or if DME knows how to control electric valves, I wonder if on EWG it sends different signals from pin #3

Last edited by Kannon25; 11-28-2021 at 05:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 08:27 PM   #28
Sylverlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: White 535i M-Sport, 911 GTS

Just installed an M5 exhaust today. Super droney with the valves open. If I just permanently keep them closed, will the drone go away??

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 06:02 AM   #29
Kannon25
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylverlee View Post
Just installed an M5 exhaust today. Super droney with the valves open. If I just permanently keep them closed, will the drone go away??

Thanks!

Totally! I installed electric valves on my M5 exhaust so I can open/close the flaps with a remote (my N55 is EWG and I don't have vacuum ports).

Now it's not droning at all, cool mod
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 11:45 AM   #30
superblue535
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

Garage List
2016 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2016 BMW 535i  [0.00]
May I ask where did you buy the electric valves? I just did this upgrade and the drone is not pleasant.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 11:17 PM   #31
Dblzee
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 f10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by superblue535 View Post
May I ask where did you buy the electric valves? I just did this upgrade and the drone is not pleasant.
I just did this a couple of month ago. Ordered this kit from AliExpress for 55 dollars. Hardest part was just running the lines to the mufflers. But works great flaps open and close on demand with the remote.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-17-2022, 01:12 PM   #32
GrabacrOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblzee View Post
I just did this a couple of month ago. Ordered this kit from AliExpress for 55 dollars. Hardest part was just running the lines to the mufflers. But works great flaps open and close on demand with the remote.
I just did the same. This seems to be a great solution if you don't want to or can't tap into the engine's vacuum lines for the vacuum source.

I haven't gotten around to properly install it yet but I quickly wired it up to make sure the vacuum pump and the electronics all work. I was worried that the pump might not pull enough of a vacuum to actuate the valves on the M5 exhaust but it had no problem doing so. The pump runs for a few seconds until the valves open and the pressure stabilizes then shuts off on its own.

I left the valve open for a few hours and the pump held the vacuum and valves didn't start to close up on their own. I don't plan on having the valves open continuously for much longer than that. Also, I was able to program the vacuum pump's remote to the Homelink buttons on the rear view mirror, so two separate buttons can be used to open and close the valves. This way I don't need to have the remote on me and it's a more discrete install.

I have some OE BMW vacuum lines, Ts, and hose grommets ordered to route the vacuum lines from the trunk to the mufflers for a more OEM install. Dblzee Did you run the vacuum lines from the pump to the mufflers through one of the wiring grommets near the battery or find a different route? I'll update this post with the final install once I get around to it.

Here's a short clip of the vacuum pump in action from when I did a test install.
Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #578262 as a referral.

F10 535i M-Sport | Gone but not forgotten: G01 X3 xDrive30i M-Sport; F15 X5 xDrive35i; E70 X5 4.8i
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 06:42 PM   #33
Dblzee
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 f10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabacrOne View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblzee View Post
I just did the same. This seems to be a great solution if you don't want to or can't tap into the engine's vacuum lines for the vacuum source.

I haven't gotten around to properly install it yet but I quickly wired it up to make sure the vacuum pump and the electronics all work. I was worried that the pump might not pull enough of a vacuum to actuate the valves on the M5 exhaust but it had no problem doing so. The pump runs for a few seconds until the valves open and the pressure stabilizes then shuts off on its own.

I left the valve open for a few hours and the pump held the vacuum and valves didn't start to close up on their own. I don't plan on having the valves open continuously for much longer than that. Also, I was able to program the vacuum pump's remote to the Homelink buttons on the rear view mirror, so two separate buttons can be used to open and close the valves. This way I don't need to have the remote on me and it's a more discrete install.

I have some OE BMW vacuum lines, Ts, and hose grommets ordered to route the vacuum lines from the trunk to the mufflers for a more OEM install. Dblzee Did you run the vacuum lines from the pump to the mufflers through one of the wiring grommets near the battery or find a different route? I'll update this post with the final install once I get around to it.

Here's a short clip of the vacuum pump in action from when I did a test install.
Yes there is a very easy grommet in the trunk that I used to go though. I'll take some pictures and post when I get a chance. Pump has no issues holding or actuating both valves.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-12-2022, 12:01 PM   #34
bigshout
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Smile

I thought I would post an alternative solution to managing the valve control for the 535i/M5 muffler combo. For those of you who don’t fancy updating the DME to MHD map and or the hassle of routing the vacuum and solenoid wires from the engine back to the boot (that will be me) then I have a working solution which works just as well.

Recently Max Power Auto Racing Products have released a new version of their Exhaust Vacuum Pump / Valve Control Unit. This new unit comes supplied with an ODB adaptor which can read the car’s RPM. The adaptor is equipped with bluetooth allowing you to program the adaptor to trigger the Vacuum Pump / Valve Control Unit at your desired rpm. It’s a simple application but it works. The app also shows in real time when the value is open or closed. The package also comes with 2 fob keys which will allow you to select on/off or auto.

This product also comes with vacuum tubing and a Y-Splitter so you everything you will need apart from a 12V Fuse Mini Blade Piggy Back Car Fuse Holder. Make sure you get a fuse as some seller don’t include this as standard.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164847242310

The Max Power Auto Racing Vacuum Pump / Valve Control Unit can be purchased here:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001...3c271802hQ8sfz

There are cheaper Exhaust Vacuum Pump / Valve Control Units for sale, but they are dumb devices. You control the valve control from the fob on or off. This isn’t ideal and will cause the exhaust to drone if the valve control is open.

This solution is well priced and much cheaper than any other alternative and it really doesn’t take more than an hour to install.

My initial concern was “would the Vacuum Pump / Valve Control Unit or the ODB adaptor drain the car battery”? The good news is the ODB adapter powers down with the car, once the engine is off so is the adaptor. I have also wired the Vacuum Pump / Valve Control Unit via a switched ignition fuse point from the rear fuse box.

Installation

I have installed the Exhaust Vacuum Pump / Valve Control Unit in the left hand section of the trunk/boot. There is space to house the unit there. I used some foam to keep keep the Vacuum Pump / Valve Control Unit snug and to remove any vibration which comes from the pump when it’s triggered. Upon installation, you can not hear the pump from within the cabin.

You will see there is a grommet in the left hand corner of the trunk/boot. Pull out the grommet and make a hole in the centre for the vacuum hose to be routed down to the first muffler.

I split the hose just above the first muffler (left) and then zip tied the hose along the rear diffuser to the other muffler (right)

I wired the power from the Exhaust Vacuum Pump / Valve Control Unit location left boot side, over to the rear fuse box, right side. I then disassembled cigarette plug and crimped the positive wire to the Mini Blade Piggy Back Fuse Holder. I unscrewed one of the nuts holding the fuse box to the chassis and pushed the negative wire between the nut and chassis and tightened. I then took the fuse out of fuse 147 and plugged in the Mini Blade Piggy Back Fuse Holder along with the 5 amp which had been using fuse 147.

That’s it, simply put all the fixings back you took out to get the left and right side sections of the boot.

I can’t find any negatives to this solution, hence why I felt I wanted to share the solution with others who might be interested.
Appreciate 1