2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Sea foam really that good?

02-27-2018, 06:56 PM   #1
Brian Edward
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 528i twin turbo sedan

Sea foam really that good?

Been told to run some in the gas tank of my '13 528i, yes?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 07:35 PM   #2
Charter23
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Edward View Post
Been told to run some in the gas tank of my '13 528i, yes?
Depends on if you are trying to address a specific issue but for regular use I think you are facing a "can't hurt, might help" situation (IMO).

All the research I've done says if you buy "TOP TIER"(tm) gas, which exceeds the minimum EPA requirements for detergent additives, there is no real need for a fuel injector cleaner. It is important to remember that gas is a commodity, and thus is refined and then often stored in mass mixed quantities before it is reallocated to the gas company we ultimately buy it from at the pump. What truly differentiates fuel from one company to the next is the detergents the company chooses to add. I personally try to only buy Shell V-Power.

Companies must maintain a minimum detergent standard in accordance with the EPA. Exceed that minimum standard by a large enough margin and you are badged "TOP TIER"(tm). Does it matter? Yup. AAA did a study that found running TOP-TIER gas resulted in 19x less build up than non-TOP TIER gas after like 5,000 miles. Here is the article:

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...h-extra-price/

So...to answer your question (based on my research and experience, though still subjective)...if you cheap out at the pump, then you should buy an expensive additive to keep your injectors clean. Alternatively, pay a little more for the best fuel you can find and don't worry about bottles of magic potions.

Note: I am talking only about fuel injector cleaners. Things like fuel stabilizers (for storage) or dry gas (to remove water) are totally different and are definitely worth using as needed.

Also: I used to add Seafoam to the crankcase of my old Wrangler a few days before an oil change. I have no clue if it did anything. Also added it to the air intake to smoke out the neighborhood. I'd also drop a shot of it in my beer...seafoam bomb!!!

Lastly: The placebo effect is very powerful so if you think it helps, maybe it will. I won't judge. I've definitely been known to buy fuel injector cleaners when I want to show my car some extra love. Typically an impulse buy as I am checking out. BOGO!

Good luck!
      02-28-2018, 04:09 PM   #3
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

from what i've seen here it's not adviseable to add any additives to our cars. reason...i'm not sure? i'd have to look it up
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 01:48 PM   #4
jooobi3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i XDrive

I don't like multipurpose product sometime they work sometimes they won't. In my experience, I feel like sticking with a product that's designed specifically for one purpose. Seafoam can be added to gasoline, engine oil, and engine fluid. That doesn't make senses to me since all these things have different molecular made up so I don't know how they could design one product that can be added to all those things. Anyway, if you're worried about your injector build up. You should get walnut blasting. It's the safest way to go for the best result.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 08:18 PM   #5
535_BiTurbo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550I - BMS Stg 1 & CAI

I run MMO through my gas tank. It cleans and lubricates
Appreciate 0