2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications DME Failure - Unplugged manifold w/ battery connected - now what?

02-03-2023, 06:36 PM   #1
justahobo
Rep
Drives: Bmw 535i

DME Failure - Unplugged manifold w/ battery connected - now what?

2011 535i

Essentially title.
While replacing the serp belt, OFHG, & 6 Intake gaskets, I unbolted the manifold, unplugged the plugs underneath, but never disconnected the battery.

Afterward, turned on the car, (Did not start engine, just battery), got errors out the ass, wipers running by themselves, and every control is unresponsive. Had it towed to my mechanic, but we can't even get the parking brake off. Battery died, now that's been replaced.

Mechanics saying they called in someone who's more familiar with BMW coding, but it's likely the DME will have to be replaced.

Anyone know how much this'll cost, or if recoding is still possible?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2023, 11:16 AM   #2
95blkmax
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 535 M-Sport

check the 2 bin connectors towards the front of the DME. A stupid design by BMW but they can actually be interchanged! It happened to me the first time I put back together the DME connectors but I got lucky and just had a ton of errors. Once I reversed those 2 connectors the car started right up as normal.

Also, replace the battery. Nothing in BMW-world will work as intended if the battery isn't fully charged.
      02-05-2023, 08:15 PM   #3
justahobo
Rep
Drives: Bmw 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95blkmax View Post
check the 2 bin connectors towards the front of the DME. A stupid design by BMW but they can actually be interchanged! It happened to me the first time I put back together the DME connectors but I got lucky and just had a ton of errors. Once I reversed those 2 connectors the car started right up as normal.
You know, I was so focused on getting the back 3 right, I might’ve messed those up. So that’s worth checking out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95blkmax View Post
Also, replace the battery. Nothing in BMW-world will work as intended if the battery isn't fully charged.
I okay’d the replacement but I’m not sure if they’ve installed the new battery it yet. I’ve had the car since 2016 without ever replacing it, it could be as old as the car. I’ll get back to you with updates.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2023, 10:42 PM   #4
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 M Sport

Second the suggestion to double check the plugs are in order - and also double check that they're all fully seated, some will click into place but still be far from fully seated...that got me real good one time 🙃
      02-13-2023, 02:36 PM   #5
Bullyking425
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 n55 535i

Garage List
2013   [0.00]
same issue but I didn’t disconnect wiring with battery connected.
No wipers or anything like that
mine starts and drives no errors displayed
I run info memory and error memory in BimmerLink and get these codes.
Also attached dme plug location as well.
New battery and alternator battery didn’t code battery as it was 105ah same as old but did register it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0